The Student Room Group

Need a believable excuse for buying presents tomorrow for family members

I wasn't expecting my brothers home over christmas because they live in different parts of the country, but they made it. It's been difficult to sneak out of the house before because both of my parents work at home so they would notice if I left the house for a few hours without telling them. I will have to go tomorrow morning/early afternoon because that is looking like the best opportunity.

What would be a good excuse because I want it to be a surprise?
I'm a jobseeker and I often get phone calls from recruiters so shall I say that I got a call from a recruiter and they asked me to go and see to register tomorrow? Or is that not likely given the pandemic and that it's not typical for me to do that just before christmas.

I was thinking of just saying that I am going for a walk or cycle but I will need to be away longer than an hour or an hour and a half. I think they would definitely think something was up if I was away for longer than 2 hours.
Just say you need to hand in your job application to the recruitment place in person as their website crashed
Tell them you are going to the shops
To buy groceries
First shop you come to with a huge queue, stop at the end and take a pic to send and say 'lol, the size of this queue!'

(I have shamelessly used post office queues as an excuse for not sending some gifts till after christmas when it calms down)
Hello

I need to do some errands
I have to get my hair done
I must go have my nails redone
I am going to buy a new laptop
I am out of toilet paper again
I am off to take a look at some books tomorrow
Must get fresh air soon
I really must pick up a new printer
My legs are stiff and in need of exercise
In lieu of cooking why don't we escape?
Say you’re going to a friend’s house to bring something and then you’re gonna hangout with them for a while.
Why has no one asked this question...:

Do you never go out? For a walk? Or to the shops? Is it THAT unnatural for you to be going out?
Original post by Anonymous

Do you never go out? For a walk? Or to the shops? Is it THAT unnatural for you to be going out?

Lol, this.
Reply 9

I go out for walks or cycling but that is only for 1-2 hours and they would wonder why I am away for 3-4 hours.
Just say you need to hand in your job application to the recruitment place in person as their website crashed

I think this is very good but what if someone asks me, why I can't email it to them? I'm thinking of something similar to that.
Original post by tinygirl96
Hello

I need to do some errands
I have to get my hair done
I must go have my nails redone
I am going to buy a new laptop
I am out of toilet paper again
I am off to take a look at some books tomorrow
Must get fresh air soon
I really must pick up a new printer
My legs are stiff and in need of exercise
In lieu of cooking why don't we escape?

Some good ideas there, lots of choices.
you could say:

- met a friend
- line was long
- got lost meeting a friend
- babysat my friends pet or something
- went to give out my CV
- got called for an interview
- went to catch up with an old friend
you could say:

- met a friend
- line was long
- got lost meeting a friend
- babysat my friends pet or something
- went to give out my CV
- got called for an interview
- went to catch up with an old friend

Ok but if they ask me why I couldn't email it to them what do I say?
Ok but if they ask me why I couldn't email it to them what do I say?

say that when applying for jobs online, they don’t really pay attention or take it serious. But if you go in to give out your CV, it can sometimes land you an interview on the spot and I think i read somewhere that because of some protection law they can’t just through your CV away because of your details and all that (again, i read it somewhere and i think that’s what i read)
say that when applying for jobs online, they don’t really pay attention or take it serious. But if you go in to give out your CV, it can sometimes land you an interview on the spot and I think i read somewhere that because of some protection law they can’t just through your CV away because of your details and all that (again, i read it somewhere and i think that’s what i read)

Good idea, or I could say their email has gone down over christmas/winter and they will need me to go in person.
Good idea, or I could say their email has gone down over christmas/winter and they will need me to go in person.

Yep! Idk if this is over doing it but if they say “most shops are closed due to tier 4 lockdown” you could say it’s for a shop like asda or tesco where they’re open since they’re a grocery shop. You could say it’s a seasonal job that you’ve applied for or something (if you wanna be extra and seal it off)
In the end if they ask if you got the job you could reveal the truth (if your family is able to laugh about it and not take it serious) or you can just say that it didn’t really meet your standards or they needed more flexible workers or something idk
Yep! Idk if this is over doing it but if they say “most shops are closed due to tier 4 lockdown” you could say it’s for a shop like asda or tesco where they’re open since they’re a grocery shop. You could say it’s a seasonal job that you’ve applied for or something (if you wanna be extra and seal it off)
In the end if they ask if you got the job you could reveal the truth (if your family is able to laugh about it and not take it serious) or you can just say that it didn’t really meet your standards or they needed more flexible workers or something idk

Exactly, I have checked if where I am planning to go tomorrow is open, and it appears to be.

Quick Reply

Latest