Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    anyone applying for English Lanaguage and/or Linguistics and where?
    Nobody seems to be so heres a thread especially for those who are

ReputationRep:
    Oh, yay! Me me me!

Also, hurrah - we're not going for the same courses. (Not competing against each other!)

Wow, we're really the only two?

ReputationRep:
    A third here, me

Yay for Lang and Ling!

ReputationRep:
    hey guys i'm applying for lang/ling too!...hey guys did u mention any specific authors/genres of books as theres not alot of help out there for language personal statements!

ReputationRep:
    yezzir

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artcrazy)
    hey guys i'm applying for lang/ling too!...hey guys did u mention any specific authors/genres of books as theres not alot of help out there for language personal statements!
    Not really. I mentioned specific areas of linguistics that interest me, like societal appropriateness of utterances, and computer-mediated communication. I also talked a bit about the differences between the grammar of English and of British Sign Language, because I'm studying level 2 BSL, and it's really interesting to see how the languages differ. Plus, I've kept a notebook of the language/linguistics books I've been reading, so if I get an interview I can read back through everything I've read!

... I'm a dork. :p:

ReputationRep:
    lol thnx guys i wasn't sure whether to put that socio/psycho linguistics is an area that interests me!!!

ReputationRep:
    lol thnx guys i wasn't sure whether to put that socio/psycho linguistics is an area that interests me!!!
    I put that in my personal statement, no rejections yet :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaytee.)
    I put that in my personal statement, no rejections yet :p:
    lol...where have you applied to kaytee

ReputationRep:
    Part of me wanted to apply for English language, but my heart was with geography...

ReputationRep:
    lol...where have you applied to kaytee
    Sheffield, Lancaster, Bangor-got an offer, Manchester-got an offer, Hertfordshire

I realllllyyyy wanna go Sheffield, haven't heard from them yet though :p:
    you?

ReputationRep:
    I realllllyyyy wanna go Sheffield,
    Same, but have you heard of any one who has had an offer for Eng Lang & Ling yet? Becasue my app hasn't even left my school yet and I'm getting soooooo worried that there will be no places. I fell in love with it as soon as I visited!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loopy_laura)
    Same, but have you heard of any one who has had an offer for Eng Lang & Ling yet? Becasue my app hasn't even left my school yet and I'm getting soooooo worried that there will be no places. I fell in love with it as soon as I visited!
    I haven't heard of anyone getting an offer for eng lang/ling
    I wouldn't worry about the delayed application, they can't run out of places, they always have more applications than places availiable. They must have a lot of applications to deal with at the moment so I wouldn't worry :p:

ReputationRep:
    sheff. ain't acknowledged me b.
    don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    meeeee
    Not that i've sent my application off yet, but Sheffield is my fave

ReputationRep:
    good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    I've had offers for all 5 of my unis-York, Sheffield, UWE, Reading, Roehampton. I'm still split between York and Sheffield for my firm, with UWE as my insurance.

ReputationRep:
    I've replied to my offers, so this time next year I should hopefully be in Sheffield

ReputationRep:
    I've replied to my offers, so this time next year I should hopefully be in Sheffield
    Fantastic! Oh, it's really nice knowing where you're going to be, isn't it? (Brighton, here I come!)

ReputationRep:
    I'm going for LAng and Lit, not quite the same as lang and ling but I felt like popping in

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 8, 2009

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.