username3864568
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hey,I am a year 13 student and so if anyone wants any advice for GCSE's or anything I'm happy to help. =)
jaz_37
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Do you know where I can find past papers + mark schemes, as well as model answers? Particularly for English (Edexcel) and History (Edexcel), and perhaps Drama (AQA) and RE (AQA). I find that I improve my writing skills best when I look at examples and analyse what they did well

Also are there any better revision methods than flashcards and writing up notes? I know everyone says they're effective but they just don't really work for me

Thanks!
username5453336
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Summerset1276)
Hey,I am a year 13 student and so if anyone wants any advice for GCSE's or anything I'm happy to help. =)
I have my first exam in January on ICT. I’m worried cos I’m not strong in the topics that my teachers says will definitely be in there. How do I understand those topics even if they make absolutely no sense to me?
Me0345ssi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hello, I do ICT as well for GCSE and I recommend that you use two websites, Seneca, as you can find courses that will help you and use youtube and search for someone called Craig'n'Dave he is really useful in explaining things. And if your school has access to Teach ICT use that
username5453336
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Me0345ssi)
Hello, I do ICT as well for GCSE and I recommend that you use two websites, Seneca, as you can find courses that will help you and use youtube and search for someone called Craig'n'Dave he is really useful in explaining things. And if your school has access to Teach ICT use that
Thank you
username3864568
Rep:
?
(Original post by jaz_37)
Do you know where I can find past papers + mark schemes, as well as model answers? Particularly for English (Edexcel) and History (Edexcel), and perhaps Drama (AQA) and RE (AQA). I find that I improve my writing skills best when I look at examples and analyse what they did well

Also are there any better revision methods than flashcards and writing up notes? I know everyone says they're effective but they just don't really work for me

Thanks!

Hey so for your first question,I would generally say that searching up past papers (subject name) (board name) will get you a lot of results and the exam board website has a lot available.If you find examples useful,what I would say is to look at the examiner reports of the past paper because they have example answers and the marks the examiner would give as well as comments on why they gave those marks so those are pretty useful.Making notes are always useful and I would say making summaries (either bullet pointed or a mind map) afterwards really helps to condense the informatbecause there is always a lot.I personally didn’t do history or drama,but for R.E and English I’d say practise and get your teacher to mark any answers and give feedback too.Past papers are always helpful but if there is something you are consistently falling down on and losing marks,it’s always good to review the topic properly,maybe read up from other resources and ask a teacher for help.Hope that’s helpful,let me know if you want anything else clarified if it doesn’t make sense =)
username3864568
Rep:
?
(Original post by BluMoon06)
I have my first exam in January on ICT. I’m worried cos I’m not strong in the topics that my teachers says will definitely be in there. How do I understand those topics even if they make absolutely no sense to me?
Hey,I personally didn’t do ICT so I can’t give you specific advice for it but I can tell you some general tips.I would say the best thing is always to talk to your teacher and speak to them about what you are struggling on and get things explained because they are usually quite helpful and know the content really well.Otherwise,Make sure to first go through your textbook properly,make notes and highlight the parts you don’t get and arrange maybe a time to speak with the teacher or even revising with friends is beneficial too if you can.Also I am sure if you search up GCSE ICT notes or YouTube video on whatever the topic is you struggle with you will find something useful online.But make sure you don’t panic,just write down in a list what you need to cover for your exam and then try your best to get help form wherever you can.Good luck!
username5453336
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hey,I personally didn’t do ICT so I can’t give you specific advice for it but I can tell you some general tips.I would say the best thing is always to talk to your teacher and speak to them about what you are struggling on and get things explained because they are usually quite helpful and know the content really well.Otherwise,Make sure to first go through your textbook properly,make notes and highlight the parts you don’t get and arrange maybe a time to speak with the teacher or even revising with friends is beneficial too if you can.Also I am sure if you search up GCSE ICT notes or YouTube video on whatever the topic is you struggle with you will find something useful online.But make sure you don’t panic,just write down in a list what you need to cover for your exam and then try your best to get help form wherever you can.Good luck!
Thank you!
Also all our work is online. We don’t have a text book lmao
username3864568
Rep:
?
(Original post by BluMoon06)
Thank you!
Also all our work is online. We don’t have a text book lmao
Oh I see,I would say have a look for the spec and maybe see if u can get a copy of the textbook from online.it’s usually quite helpful
username5490552
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
hey.
how can i revise required practicals?
username3864568
Rep:
?
(Original post by chryssucks)
hey.
how can i revise required practicals?
Hi so usually for the practicals you will have a set number of required practicals that you should have done in class/watched a video on it.The way I do it is to write a brief summary of the practical and any equations/diagrams needed for it.Usually the exam will ask you questions about the technique used not the actual method so you need to be aware of any specifics as well.Such as for they may ask you why did you use a gas syringe not a measuring cylinder for this practical.Read through your textbook for these and additional ones and if you go on physicsandmathstutors they have notes with information as well.Youtube is usually pretty good if you type in the practical name,you can usually find a demo.

hope that's helpful.
username5490552
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi so usually for the practicals you will have a set number of required practicals that you should have done in class/watched a video on it.The way I do it is to write a brief summary of the practical and any equations/diagrams needed for it.Usually the exam will ask you questions about the technique used not the actual method so you need to be aware of any specifics as well.Such as for they may ask you why did you use a gas syringe not a measuring cylinder for this practical.Read through your textbook for these and additional ones and if you go on physicsandmathstutors they have notes with information as well.Youtube is usually pretty good if you type in the practical name,you can usually find a demo.

hope that's helpful.
thanks!
isobeln
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
hiya! this is such a kind idea- do you have any specific tips for physics?? (I do edexcel igcse but it doesn't matter if you've done a different board ofc aha). exam technique, revision, literally any advice you can give would be so appreciated (btw am aiming for a 9)
thank you!
username3864568
Rep:
?
(Original post by isobeln)
hiya! this is such a kind idea- do you have any specific tips for physics?? (I do edexcel igcse but it doesn't matter if you've done a different board ofc aha). exam technique, revision, literally any advice you can give would be so appreciated (btw am aiming for a 9)
thank you!
Hi.Actually i did the same board for the new spec for igcse edexcel physics and got a grade 9 so I really do hope my tips will be useful!So for physics I know you have to memorise the equations usually but just because of covid this year this may be changing but I would still make it a priority to learn them all just in case.There are usually an equations list if you search it up online and another thing I would say it make sure you know your units.I personally forgot that part and struggled in my real exam to remember some of them so make sure you know both.The way I did it is use flashcards and I would write something like 'what is the equation that links speed,distance and time' and on the back write the equation and units. In terms of revision,make your notes and have a goo understanding of all the topics and ideas,use the revision guide for support as well and there are some good youtube channels I wish I had used in gcse like Alevelphysicsonline and gorillaphysics.But past papers are so helpful to practise using the equations because most of physics is maths based of course.However you do get your long answer questions and after doing a lot of past papers I realised that some of these repeat and have similar mark schemes so I would say learn the mark schemes for these and use them in your exams because usually the mark points don't change that much.From what I remember I definitely know there's's one on parachutes and momentum which is useful to know and there is likely others too.Also learn your practical techniques and use CORMS to answer the long answer questions where it asks you to plan a practical,google should have a better explanation for this or the cgp revision guide.But yeah make sure you do lots of questions,understand the topics and learn some of those mark schemes and techniques where your struggle.

hope that helps.Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.71%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
20%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.43%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.57%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
31.43%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.86%

Watched Threads