OSCOLA Listing statutes in bibliography help

Watch
username5532482
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I am confused on how I should list cases that start with
eg
R v Smith

Do I put Smith in alphabetical order under S or do I just list all cases starting with ‘R v’ as the letter R in the alphabet. I did not not understand the guidance.

Thank you!
Last edited by username5532482; 1 year ago
Mazza-G
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Thiccviccc)
Hi, I am confused on how I should list cases that start with
eg
R v Smith

Do I put Smith in alphabetical order under S or do I just list all cases starting with ‘R v’ as the letter R in the alphabet. I did not not understand the guidance.

Thank you!
Hello!

OSCOLA never fails to confuse people. I found this for you:
Cases - Do not italicise case names. You should list the cases alphabetically in order of the first significant word. If the parties involved are only identified by initials the case should be listed under the initial. The exception to this is cases listed under R, in which case you should list them under the second name. List trademark cases and shipping cases under the full case name, but insert an additional entry in the table under the trademark or the name of the ship with a cross-reference to the full name.
https://libguides.swansea.ac.uk/oscola/bibliography

Hope that helps. Good luck!
username5532482
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Mazza-G)
Hello!

OSCOLA never fails to confuse people. I found this for you:
Cases - Do not italicise case names. You should list the cases alphabetically in order of the first significant word. If the parties involved are only identified by initials the case should be listed under the initial. The exception to this is cases listed under R, in which case you should list them under the second name. List trademark cases and shipping cases under the full case name, but insert an additional entry in the table under the trademark or the name of the ship with a cross-reference to the full name.
https://libguides.swansea.ac.uk/oscola/bibliography

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Thank you so much, I appreciate your help
Clarisa Simon
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I can guide you on how to cite cases using footnotes and how to intext cite English cases DM me for guidance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (35)
7.26%
October 2021 (220)
45.64%
November 2021 (54)
11.2%
December 2021 (62)
12.86%
January 2021 (55)
11.41%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (41)
8.51%