The Student Room Group

Unsure about my subject choice

Hiya,
I have already applied for ucas. I have applied for mechanical engineering courses.
But now I'm kinda thinking what if i don't like the course and if I would prefer to have applied for a business related course.

I have continously told myself that I can get a job in business with an engineering degree. But it still won't shake the thought.

Does anyone have any advice?
If you dont want to study Engineering ask your universities if they will let you switch to business. If not, reject all your offers and apply to Business through ucas extra when it opens in Feb.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
If you dont want to study Engineering ask your universities if they will let you switch to business. If not, reject all your offers and apply to Business through ucas extra when it opens in Feb.

Thats the part I am unsure of as I like both subjects but its like which one would I enjoy more, I have never studied engineering but I have studied business for GCSE which I enjoyed. So I am struggling to tell if I would enjoy mechanical engineering as I find it interesting but would I enjoy doing it as a degree?
I don't want to end up regretting my choice either way.
Original post by Izzy003
Hiya,
I have already applied for ucas. I have applied for mechanical engineering courses.
But now I'm kinda thinking what if i don't like the course and if I would prefer to have applied for a business related course.

I have continously told myself that I can get a job in business with an engineering degree. But it still won't shake the thought.

Does anyone have any advice?

these are my personal thoughts- do what you will w my advice.

i was going through the same thing up until the last minute last year when deciding the course i wanted to apply between dent/ econ. i ended up picking dent for various reasons but also considering there are still business- related aspects within dentistry for example owning a dental practice- what im trying to say here is maybe give it a go before people so quick to shut it down- i was at first adamant earlier last year on doing econ now look at me. its not too late to do further reading right now find out why you decide to pick mechanical engineering over business. if you are still not convinced over your ucas decision maybe take the summer after exams to do work experience within the field- if you find you completely hate it then you can apply through clearing- just make sure for whatever you are doing you get the grades so that your options wont be as limited! hope that helped.
Reply 4
Thing about a business degree is that it’s something anyone can do. The entry requirements are general, not specific and the jobs that business grads go into are mostly open to all graduates. So you have to ask yourself what you gain by doing it as opposed to doing an engineering degree, which is specific and highly skilled ie a vocational degree but also enables you to apply to almost any graduate job.

You know this already I think. My view is that you’re potentially selling yourself short by doing a business degree. I know a few people who’ve done these degrees who’ve ended up retraining elsewhere because although they got a good all rounder degree it didn’t lead anywhere and they often felt like they wasted an opportunity to study something they really enjoyed or which would have skilled them up. Doing a history or English degree for instance at the very least allows you to spend three or four years doing what you really love. Not many people say that about business degrees.
Consider vocational degrees too. I heard just the other day from someone I steered away from business toward real estate and he’s just qualified as a chartered surveyor. He’s just landed his first job and he called to say he didn’t think he’d have managed that if I hadn’t pointed him down a vocational route. He still learned a lot about business but he got a specific qualification out of it.
Reply 5
Original post by smellychicken
these are my personal thoughts- do what you will w my advice.

i was going through the same thing up until the last minute last year when deciding the course i wanted to apply between dent/ econ. i ended up picking dent for various reasons but also considering there are still business- related aspects within dentistry for example owning a dental practice- what im trying to say here is maybe give it a go before people so quick to shut it down- i was at first adamant earlier last year on doing econ now look at me. its not too late to do further reading right now find out why you decide to pick mechanical engineering over business. if you are still not convinced over your ucas decision maybe take the summer after exams to do work experience within the field- if you find you completely hate it then you can apply through clearing- just make sure for whatever you are doing you get the grades so that your options wont be as limited! hope that helped.

So say I did decide to go through with mechanical engineering but decide it isn't for me while at uni would I be able to switch?
Reply 6
Original post by Izzy003
So say I did decide to go through with mechanical engineering but decide it isn't for me while at uni would I be able to switch?

Very likely you would but you may have to do a year over. Why don’t you consider splitting the difference and do a combined degree? Would be easier to switch if you decided you needed to and would mean you weren’t looking over your shoulder all the time.
As long as you let each university know that you wish to another course they have available given that they haven't given you an offer yet, it's possible to change.
Getting cold feet is normal - have I chosen the right course, the right Uni, etc etc.

Remember that Mech Eng is a) difficult to get on to , b) a valuable degree. Turning that away may become something you later regret. You do not have to make this decision right now. As above, you can dump the Mech Eng place in August and go through Clearing - or you reapply for Business next year. So dont panic, and potentially make another wrong decision now.

My advice would be to stick with Mech Eng for now. If you still feel like this once you have your results in August then make a decision..
Original post by bigrocks
As long as you let each university know that you wish to another course they have available given that they haven't given you an offer yet, it's possible to change.

You can still ask for a change-course even after a Uni have made you an offer.
Original post by McGinger
You can still ask for a change-course even after a Uni have made you an offer.

Yes but some universities wouldn't allow that to happen.
Original post by Izzy003

It all depends on the university. The most prestigious ones will be uptight about the switch because they have limited spaces, they want someone who has a passion for the exact course they've chosen. Less prestigious universities are more lenient about that sort of thing.
Original post by bigrocks
It all depends on the university. The most prestigious ones will be uptight about the switch because they have limited spaces, they want someone who has a passion for the exact course they've chosen. Less prestigious universities are more lenient about that sort of thing.

Universities, regardless of prestige (whatever you think that is) do not want students on the 'wrong' course.

Having worked at numerous Universities, including several in the Russell Group, I can assure you that Universities do not refuse to switch courses on principle, and such decisions are not made for reasons of leniency or 'uptightness' or any other whimsical notion.

If there are spaces on the other course, and you meet the requirements they may 'consider' you - and if they want another PS, they'll ask for it.
Reply 13
Original post by McGinger
Universities, regardless of prestige (whatever you think that is) do not want students on the 'wrong' course.

Having worked at numerous Universities, including several in the Russell Group, I can assure you that Universities do not refuse to switch courses on principle, and such decisions are not made for reasons of leniency or 'uptightness' or any other whimsical notion.

If there are spaces on the other course, and you meet the requirements they may 'consider' you - and if they want another PS, they'll ask for it.

It’s TSR mate. You’re not crushing people’s illusions about prestige that easily.
Original post by giella
It’s TSR mate. You’re not crushing people’s illusions about prestige that easily.

Prestige means nothing. What matters is where you are happiest and where the course is best for you. It is no good going to the best university there is only to find out you hate it there and end up dropping out. There are far more important issues than prestige.
Reply 15
Original post by swanseajack1
Prestige means nothing. What matters is where you are happiest and where the course is best for you. It is no good going to the best university there is only to find out you hate it there and end up dropping out. There are far more important issues than prestige.

Completely agree. Never sure if we’re in the majority or the minority though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending