Turn on thread page Beta

A few chemistry questions that im stuck on, I appreciate all help :) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I didnt get taught this in class yet i was set this homework today and due for tomorrow so im really lost.

Question 1:

One of the alkanes in paraffin that is cracked is C12H26. Write a symbol equation, with state symbols to show the cracking reactions.

Can somebody explain that to me? Or simply just tell me what the formula for paraffin is? I can take it from there

Question 2:
    Write four uses for alkanes:
    -
    -
    -
    -

I dont know any

I got a C on my year 10 science, and retook to get an A. Now that i've started year 11, I want to aim for an A* so i ask every question I get stuck on.

Thx guys, much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    1. c12h26 - c2h4 + c10h22

2. uses for alkanes - diesel/petrol production, making waxes, jet fuel, starting block for alkenes. cant think of much else

ReputationRep:
    This website's pretty useful:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A834527

Think it answers both your questions as well as lots of other things on similar topics.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys..

Bean can u tell me how u got Q1 ?

(site was helpful too btw =D)

ReputationRep:
    yeah next time try google first... or wiki

something basic like alkanes or any gcse stuff with have tons of info online. then come to the forum if you still dont understand

ReputationRep:
    Ah its ok, I understand now.. Laens site gave me the info I needed =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abderraouf)
    Thanks guys..

Bean can u tell me how u got Q1 ?

(site was helpful too btw =D)
    well when you crack you turn an alkane (n carbon, 2n+2 hydrogen) into an alkene (n carbon, 2n hydrogen) and a shorter chain alkane. its hard to explain over the internet but its very simple. i suggest you refer to teachers/text books

example. C10H22 (an alkane) can be cracked to C2H4 (alkene) + C8H18 (smaller alkane). just make sure you have the same number of carbons and hydrogens on each side

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.