The Student Room Group

my dad yells and swears at me..

i am 14 years old and my dad is always yelling at me and swearing at me. sometimes the things he says can really get to me. dont get me wrong my dad has never hit me once. but he has come close to it a few times. whenever i make a small mistake or say something wrong he yells at me and starts putting me down. today in the car after he picked me up (after i waited for him in -3° weather for an hour) i simply asked if we could go to subway and he started yelling at me and told me to get the **** out of his car then got up in my face and told me to shut my ****ing mouth as soon as i tried to talk. i try to talk to my mom about it but my dad lies about it and says i deserved it cause i did something bad.. i started smoking weed this year to take some of the pressure off and it helps but the thing is i’m starting to rely on it and without it i can’t eat food. when i got caught smoking for the first time my dad disowned me and took my phone and threatened to smash all my things and even threatened to move me away and take me to an mental hospital. he also grounded me for a month and i wasn’t allowed to leave the house which meant i was stuck with him. everyday he would yell at me to the point where i started cutting myself and couldn’t even look him in the eyes anymore cause i was scared of him. i don’t know what to do at this point...
Samaritans might be able to offer solutions?

otherwise, it sounds abusive

Whilst I’m not saying seek mental health support

It is okay to do so if you want to

Sometimes it’s also easier to just suck it up,

If I weren’t involved w mental health systems, I do feel I’d have been living easier in some ways

(I also feel there’s a toxic environment around me sometime)
Weed may seem like a solution, but it’s very insidious and I know someone who lost all motivation because of it and it can really mess with your mind. Talk to your mum again and make it very clear how your dad is behaving. It seems like he’s taking his own frustrations out on you and he’s in danger of completely ruining your relationship. Are you American? Maybe therapy/family therapy would help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending