Turn on thread page Beta

So, I was sitting here surfing TSR, when I came across the following question: "does the common housefly have a functional set of internal organs?" That is, a liver, a pair of lungs, and so on? This intrigues me.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.sdbonline.org/fly/aimain/1adult.htm

ReputationRep:
    I remember seeing a picture in a Dorling Kindersley book of a cross-section of a fly. Really interesting, it was. I'll see if I can find it.

Nice. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    If you squash flies, yellow stuff comes out. However, you can always wipe it off with a damp cloth.

ReputationRep:
    They don't have a set of lungs and a liver.

They've got a simple alimentary canal, in which food is digested, and they obtain oxygen by diffusion.

That's what I've heard at least.

ReputationRep:
    Similar but different.

ReputationRep:
    amazing when you think of the size of the organs, but perfectly formed.

ReputationRep:
    makes you think twice about killing the next fly you see as they aren't so different from us :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dag)
    makes you think twice about killing the next fly you see as they aren't so different from us :P
    :yes: And a lot more intricate than we humans.

ReputationRep:
    I touched a fily in its sexual place with a coton bud in labs LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student of Entomology)
    I touched a fily in its sexual place with a coton bud in labs LOL
    You can't say something like that without telling us what happened!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indievertigo)
    You can't say something like that without telling us what happened!!!
    Nothing much. We were stimulating grooming responses. What was better was getting tenebrio beetles to evert their genetalia. What you do is get the beetle. Place your thumb and first finger together, then in the 'v' formed between the end of the fingertips jam the beetles head in there. Then apply pressure by squeezing. Squeze from the join towards the fingertips. By doing this you force the haemolymph in the insect towards its abdomen, which via hydrostatic pressure increases everts and inflates their aedeagus (male genetalia).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student of Entomology)
    Nothing much. We were stimulating grooming responses. What was better was getting tenebrio beetles to evert their genetalia. What you do is get the beetle. Place your thumb and first finger together, then in the 'v' formed between the end of the fingertips jam the beetles head in there. Then apply pressure by squeezing. Squeze from the join towards the fingertips. By doing this you force the haemolymph in the insect towards its abdomen, which via hydrostatic pressure increases everts and inflates their aedeagus (male genetalia).
    :afraid: Didn't the beetle's brains just fly everywhere though?:puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gooner)
    :afraid: Didn't the beetle's brains just fly everywhere though?:puppyeyes:
    Err, not quite :p:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.