The Student Room Group

I abandoned my education/studies at 17

...(when that isn’t allowed in the UK) due to illness causing me to struggle too much. What options do I have now?

I have accepted that I can never go to university
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Why can you never go to university?

My wife (40s) is in uni now. I went back to university to do a post grad course 4 years ago. My cousin completed her degree and masters a few years ago despite working part time, having two kids and a business to run.

It sounds to me like you need to get over the next year or so and then reassess where you are up to.

Good luck!
You can go to the open days/evenings of any of the FE colleges around you, and choose a BTEC course that interests you to start this September
Have you considered getting an apprenticeship? Getting a degree isn't the be all and end all- don't worry about it!
you can still do courses
they most certainly are not and are in fact a great way into several career paths. Perhaps you should put some time into researching and learning about the opportunities that are available to you
Pretty sure you could apply anyway, you just have to take out a loan or pay... there was bare 40 year olds at my old college, don't worry :smile:
In my opinion there is no point doing A Levels unless you plan on doing a degree, including a degree apprenticeship, or some other form of high education, including a higher apprenticeship. The generalisation that "apprenticeships are for dumb people" is a myth.
Reply 8
I had no A levels but did an Access course online amd now I’m at uni, first year, in my 30’s.

Check distancelearningcentre.com
You learn from home at your own pace whilst having a job, kids, whatever

Think about it. Only you can change your life for the better, don’t expect anything from anybody else
Just curious, why are folk doing apprenticeships 'dumb' people when by your own admission you are an incapable drop out? :redface:
Original post by StriderHort
Just curious, why are folk doing apprenticeships 'dumb' people when by your own admission you are an incapable drop out? :redface:

Fully agreed, the old saying "beggars can't be choosers" comes to mind. An apprenticeship is a way better idea than A Levels if the OP doesn't intend on heading to Uni.
That sounds a lot like being incapable, you said you can't learn? But who you are to look down on others who are in education or call anyone dumb? What have you go going on?

Yeah like 4 or 5.
(edited 3 years ago)
Wrong. I have Crohn's Disease, amongst other nasty illnesses yet I could still potentially go to Uni. If and when I graduate, I will be yet another person with a nasty illness proving this myth wrong.

They are essentially harder versions of GCSEs, which are Levels 1 and 2, which is why they are only available at Level 3.
(edited 3 years ago)
Well you'll get credit for that if and when you actually do it. Until that day you're merely shouting 'You're dumb' at people who's lives and opportunities are rapidly accelerating away from you.

It probably won't come as a surprise that I entered Uni through the vocational route and take exception to what you said.
You are being very broad. Assuming that she is doing a higher or degree apprenticeship, she can't be dumb. Even if she isn't, she might still be smart. Which Level Apprenticeship is she doing? You are talking as if being smart and doing an apprenticeship are mutually exclusive. They aren't.
Reply 15
If you would like to be in education and also work, then an apprenticeship is an excellent idea. I'm not sure why you consider them for dumb people.
Apprenticeships can go up to level 7 these days.
Isn't the idea of education for many people simply to prepare them to get a good and enjoyable job?
If you took a degree level apprenticeship you would have a degree and 4-6 years of industry experience. That's certainly not only for dumb people.
(edited 3 years ago)
Well when you actually accomplish something you can come back and tell me how easy or hard it was and how dumb I am, but until that day...
Simply not true if you consider the full range and that's already been pointed out to you. I maintain you are in no position to call others dumb. You can't be a uni snob and not be able to go to uni y'know?
Reply 18
Why do you think degree level Apprenticeships are easier than uni? You get the same degree with tutoring from experienced industry experts and requires being extremely self motivated
Reply 19
Not true at all. Anyone can go to uni without qualifications and study absolutely anything (yes.. even law and medicine!).

You’ll need to figure out what (subject) you want to study and then apply for something called an ‘access course’ - it’s a one year course designed to give you foundational knowledge to prepare you for an undergrad degree. Thereon.. the (educational) world is your oyster 🦪!

If you want specific advice or help with this, just DM me. I’m more than happy to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending