The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2040
darkness9999
hmm ... Is imperial strict with their AEA offers? -.-' i hope that they would let me in with just AAAa

I feel really sorry for you computer scientists, theyve been making SUCH harsh offers.... maybe do STEP I if you feel you can take that on too? Might make Imperial more inclined to accept you if you get a 1/2 in it
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
darkness9999
hmm ... Is imperial strict with their AEA offers? -.-' i hope that they would let me in with just AAAa

There's a thread somewhere with someone who had an offer of an A in all maths modules, and got a B in one in January. Imperial said they'd expect a distinction in AEA to make up for this, which so so rare, not to put Imperial down as firm or insurance (this was the tutor talking) - the email was anonymous. I'd therefore say yes, they're strict, so don't give them an opportunity to reject you. I hope I recalled it correctly from memory :p:
kcfch
I feel really sorry for you computer scientists, theyve been making SUCH harsh offers.... maybe do STEP I if you feel you can take that on too? Might make Imperial more inclined to accept you if you get a 1/2 in it

yh im also taking that... but atm i can only tackle 3 questions and come to a solution:frown:
jayshah31
There's a thread somewhere with someone who had an offer of an A in all maths modules, and got a B in one in January. Imperial said they'd expect a distinction in AEA to make up for this, which so so rare, not to put Imperial down as firm or insurance (this was the tutor talking) - the email was anonymous. I'd therefore say yes, they're strict, so don't give them an opportunity to reject you. I hope I recalled it correctly from memory :p:

hmm i would prefer A's in all maths modules over this aea thing ^^ i just dont get any support from my college... not even for fm -.-'
Hello. I've just received a reply from Imperial about missing an A in a January module and whether a STEP grade can compensate for this.
They said there are no guarantees but that there are likely to be places from people who have missed the offer and that people who do STEP/AEA are in the best position.
I am doing STEP and would ideally prefer to go to Imperial to Warwick but do you think it is too risky to put it as my firm? I would hate to get all A's from now on and achieve good STEP grades but then still get rejected.
Reply 2044
yellowjacket
Hello. I've just received a reply from Imperial about missing an A in a January module and whether a STEP grade can compensate for this.
They said there are no guarantees but that there are likely to be places from people who have missed the offer and that people who do STEP/AEA are in the best position.
I am doing STEP and would ideally prefer to go to Imperial to Warwick but do you think it is too risky to put it as my firm? I would hate to get all A's from now on and achieve good STEP grades but then still get rejected.

If you don't put it as your firm, then theres definitely no chance of getting into Imperial. What's your warwick offer, out of interest?
kcfch
If you don't put it as your firm, then theres definitely no chance of getting into Imperial. What's your warwick offer, out of interest?

The standard one, AABb + grade 2 in STEP. I don't dislike Warwick, it's just the campus and non-city factor.
Reply 2046
yellowjacket
The standard one, AABb + grade 2 in STEP. I don't dislike Warwick, it's just the campus and non-city factor.

I think you should just firm Imperial and put Warwick as back up :biggrin: I'm sure if you worked hard, you'll get the rest of your maths modules at grade A and good STEP/AEA results. Have some faith in yourself and good luck!
yellowjacket

i would put it down as my firm... i mean u are not the only one who missed the offer because of a B in a module... i think, they would still accept you if you get a decent step or AEA grade... :yes:
Does anyone know what's the normal procedure for an MSc application? Is there an interview involved? I haven't seen anything saying there is an interview but I'm juts kinda assuming there would be one. Applied 2 weeks ago anyway and still nothing. My application is being processed apparently, waiting is a bitch though.
Reply 2049
danthefan
Does anyone know what's the normal procedure for an MSc application? Is there an interview involved? I haven't seen anything saying there is an interview but I'm juts kinda assuming there would be one. Applied 2 weeks ago anyway and still nothing. My application is being processed apparently, waiting is a bitch though.

I thought the deadline for sending in your application was January 15, how come you were able to apply in April? And what MSc did you apply for?
Emc2
I thought the deadline for sending in your application was January 15, how come you were able to apply in April? And what MSc did you apply for?

Advanced Mechanical Engineering. Couldn't find any deadlines on the website either, maybe I am too late? They accepted the application anyway.
Reply 2051
Emc2

he's applying for postgrad, so its a slightly different process
Reply 2052
kcfch
he's applying for postgrad, so its a slightly different process

Oh sorry, silly me. Imperial are notorious for taking quite a long time to reply anyway :smile:
Reply 2053
kcfch
I think you should just firm Imperial and put Warwick as back up :biggrin: I'm sure if you worked hard, you'll get the rest of your maths modules at grade A and good STEP/AEA results. Have some faith in yourself and good luck!

:ditto: as long as you're sure you can manage a 2 (which isn't that hard - 1 full solution, 1 very good solution, 1 half solution and 3 reasonable attempts at questions will get you a strong 2)
Swayum
:ditto: as long as you're sure you can manage a 2 (which isn't that hard - 1 full solution, 1 very good solution, 1 half solution and 3 reasonable attempts at questions will get you a strong 2)

Liking the new avatar Swayum :smile:
So, eh, sorry for asking again but does anyone know what the story is with interviews for MSc courses?
Reply 2056
I know its been asked a few times but i feel my situation is slightly different.

I do maths, further maths and physics and got offered AAA with an A in all A-level mathematics modules from imperial for civil engineering. However i got a B in both decision 1 (purely for running out of time- grr) and in further pure 1, both at 79 UMS.

They were both back in the summer exams so when i was offered they could obviously see them. As i do further maths aswell i have an A in S1 S2 M1 and M2 and in maths i have an A in D2 so i have plenty of other modules to replace the D1 B but do they mean an A in all the further modules too?

I kinda dont wanna get all my As and on results day still not know if im into imperial yet. Can anyone help me on this situation?
propabo
I know its been asked a few times but i feel my situation is slightly different.

I do maths, further maths and physics and got offered AAA with an A in all A-level mathematics modules from imperial for civil engineering. However i got a B in both decision 1 (purely for running out of time- grr) and in further pure 1, both at 79 UMS.

They were both back in the summer exams so when i was offered they could obviously see them. As i do further maths aswell i have an A in S1 S2 M1 and M2 and in maths i have an A in D2 so i have plenty of other modules to replace the D1 B but do they mean an A in all the further modules too?

I kinda dont wanna get all my As and on results day still not know if im into imperial yet. Can anyone help me on this situation?

Does your offer state without resits? If so, contact Imperial ASAP as you've already missed your offer in this case (if I recall correctly, they are harsh and won't let you in with a B or two). If it doesn't explicitly state that you can't resit, you'll have to take the two B's again.
Reply 2058
no it doesnt but why would they offer that knowing i didnt have all As.
propabo
no it doesnt but why would they offer that knowing i didnt have all As.

I just wanted to check, as human error does happen given that the A in a modules is a common one. In which case, get yourself entered for D1 and FP1 again else you will not get in. They gave you that offer in the full knowledge that you'd have to resit.

Latest

Trending

Trending