Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I have not been myself since most of this year because of whats going on and I started experiencing depressed moods and sadness since last year. I thought this time last year I will change so I did kind of but then in March we went into lockdown and I was feeling more down for more often and less people to talk to.

We then started heading back to normal in June/July and I started to realise we are heading back to normal until September/October we go back into restrictions then in November we have another lockdown kind of so I get down again. December like now we are allowed people round for Christmas but we don't really do that but what is next now? I have seen on YouTube we might have a full lockdown in new year and im just scared that 2021 is going to be ruined just like 2020. I am hoping and I did think a few weeks ago 2021 will be a fresh year because of the vaccination but now I just don’t know.

I have been watching a lot of YouTubers and they also have said during these times lockdown is impacting them a lot as well because even if you don't go out its just crap to think you can't do stuff. I think we can just hope we get these restrictions and lockdowns lifted then get rid of these masks and stuff. We need to just go back to normality now because this **** is too long now.
Anonymous #2
Report 6 months ago
the virus won't just disappear on new year, that is not how it works. however, we do have a vaccine and it should get better in that sense for next year. just hold on. also, i wouldn't use youtube as your news source.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Sorry to hear you're struggling.

It might be worth trying to change your perspective on things, rather than only looking at what you can't do, look at what you can still do. Things being different means there's new space for you to grow and develop new skills and hobbies, take care of yourself in different ways.

It's also worth suggesting you speak to your GP about how you're feeling, or self-refer to your local IAPT service. Perhaps your local MIND might have some support groups you can engage with as well to give you more social outlets.
domesticengineer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
We're probably in for a tough couple of months with it being winter - but it won't last forever. If you look at history of other pandemics they often seem to take about 2.5 years to get over - either by vaccination- medicine or we learn to live with them (eg, flu) I totally understand how hard it is and we're all feeling a little bluer - but we have to keep the hope. Life can be a rollercoaster and we just have to hold on - one day at a time. Don't put too much pressure on yourself and just get through each day as best you can. Being distracted with hobbies or new skills is a great idea as suggested above - otherwise it's too easy to doomscroll and get caught up in the depressing news. Remember as well newspapers need scary headlines to engage people to read and buy them. Focus on real life and day to day things to help keep positive thoughts. Take exercise - a walk in nature can be uplifting or meet with friends online to chat or play games with. We will all get through this - it might not be a linear recovery but it will be ok again x
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
the virus won't just disappear on new year, that is not how it works. however, we do have a vaccine and it should get better in that sense for next year. just hold on. also, i wouldn't use youtube as your news source.
Hopefully they will say numbers are going down because of the vaccine
Anonymous #1
(Original post by domesticengineer)
We're probably in for a tough couple of months with it being winter - but it won't last forever. If you look at history of other pandemics they often seem to take about 2.5 years to get over - either by vaccination- medicine or we learn to live with them (eg, flu) I totally understand how hard it is and we're all feeling a little bluer - but we have to keep the hope. Life can be a rollercoaster and we just have to hold on - one day at a time. Don't put too much pressure on yourself and just get through each day as best you can. Being distracted with hobbies or new skills is a great idea as suggested above - otherwise it's too easy to doomscroll and get caught up in the depressing news. Remember as well newspapers need scary headlines to engage people to read and buy them. Focus on real life and day to day things to help keep positive thoughts. Take exercise - a walk in nature can be uplifting or meet with friends online to chat or play games with. We will all get through this - it might not be a linear recovery but it will be ok again x
Yes a normal vaccine takes minimum at a push 2 years which is really pushing it but they have found one in less than a year hmmmm.....
domesticengineer
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Yes a normal vaccine takes minimum at a push 2 years which is really pushing it but they have found one in less than a year hmmmm.....
Apparantly a lot of the research for this vaccine had already been done before during the Sars outbreak. So they had a base to work from and much more financial help as the world looks for a cure, so more scientists working flat out. I'm very cynical of the Government and can get really down about things too but one thing is - we mustn't lose hope. I'm actually an oldie here at 52 (a science graduate- and on this site as my kids are now applying to uni and apprenticeships so find this a great source of info) But one thing I can tell you about life is that there are incredible highs and incredible lows. Right now this is a low - but you never know what is around the corner. I promise you there will be better times ahead. We have to find that inner strength and just keep going. I hope you will be ok
Anonymous #1
Apparantly a lot of the research for this vaccine had already been done before during the Sars outbreak. So they had a base to work from and much more financial help as the world looks for a cure, so more scientists working flat out. I'm very cynical of the Government and can get really down about things too but one thing is - we mustn't lose hope. I'm actually an oldie here at 52 (a science graduate- and on this site as my kids are now applying to uni and apprenticeships so find this a great source of info) But one thing I can tell you about life is that there are incredible highs and incredible lows. Right now this is a low - but you never know what is around the corner. I promise you there will be better times ahead. We have to find that inner strength and just keep going. I hope you will be ok
Yes apparently but we don't know anything
domesticengineer
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you sign up to some medical journals such as the Lancet or BMJ you can research this much further to find out more. It is early days and we are in the midst of this right now. It can get very easy to spiral and go down a rabbit hole of worrying about everything or feeling uncertain. I've had days like that myself. But the days that are better are the days when I just get on with life - take the dog for a walk, have a chat with a friend online or immerse myself in something like sorting out the garden, making something crafty or watching a good movie. There is some great advice above - to focus on what we can still do. My friend wrote an album and released it during lockdown. It's just trying to find that mindset - I hope you can
Anonymous #1
If you sign up to some medical journals such as the Lancet or BMJ you can research this much further to find out more. It is early days and we are in the midst of this right now. It can get very easy to spiral and go down a rabbit hole of worrying about everything or feeling uncertain. I've had days like that myself. But the days that are better are the days when I just get on with life - take the dog for a walk, have a chat with a friend online or immerse myself in something like sorting out the garden, making something crafty or watching a good movie. There is some great advice above - to focus on what we can still do. My friend wrote an album and released it during lockdown. It's just trying to find that mindset - I hope you can
I just honestly want all this lockdown restrictions masks **** over and done with because most people are done with this **** now
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I just honestly want all this lockdown restrictions masks **** over and done with because most people are done with this **** now
I understand your frustration, but it'll be like this for a little while yet. All you can do is do your bit so we get through this quicker.
Anonymously.y
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I have not been myself since most of this year because of whats going on and I started experiencing depressed moods and sadness since last year. I thought this time last year I will change so I did kind of but then in March we went into lockdown and I was feeling more down for more often and less people to talk to.

We then started heading back to normal in June/July and I started to realise we are heading back to normal until September/October we go back into restrictions then in November we have another lockdown kind of so I get down again. December like now we are allowed people round for Christmas but we don't really do that but what is next now? I have seen on YouTube we might have a full lockdown in new year and im just scared that 2021 is going to be ruined just like 2020. I am hoping and I did think a few weeks ago 2021 will be a fresh year because of the vaccination but now I just don’t know.

I have been watching a lot of YouTubers and they also have said during these times lockdown is impacting them a lot as well because even if you don't go out its just crap to think you can't do stuff. I think we can just hope we get these restrictions and lockdowns lifted then get rid of these masks and stuff. We need to just go back to normality now because this **** is too long now.
Hi I wanted to ask are you okay? If you need somebody to talk to feel free to pc me and I can give you something to contact me on. I can relate, this years been really tough for me and it still is
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (16)
6.06%
Uncertainty around my education (30)
11.36%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (31)
11.74%
Lack of purpose or motivation (39)
14.77%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (15)
5.68%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (10)
3.79%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (25)
9.47%
Financial worries (17)
6.44%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (9)
3.41%
Exposure to negative news/social media (17)
6.44%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
2.27%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (31)
11.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (18)
6.82%

Watched Threads