The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

edinburgh vs. st andrews

is philosophy and linguistics at Edinburgh more respected than philosophy and film at st. Andrews? just want to hear general opinions! I can't tell whether Edinburgh or st. Andrews is more prestigious. I'm from the US so I'm curious about opinions from the UK
Original post by varissache
is philosophy and linguistics at Edinburgh more respected than philosophy and film at st. Andrews? just want to hear general opinions! I can't tell whether Edinburgh or st. Andrews is more prestigious. I'm from the US so I'm curious about opinions from the UK

Hi, I've applied for Philosophy for both of them, and across the world, Edinburgh is generally the better known and respected university, but within the UK they're more or less equal. I'm going with Edinburgh because I prefer the city but both would be great choices.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by Batteries
Hi, I've applied for Philosophy for both of them, and across the world, Edinburgh is generally the better known and respected university, but within the UK they're more or less equal. I'm going with Edinburgh because I prefer the city but both would be great choices.

i might see you next year!! I'm leaning towards edinburgh bc i'm also a fan of the city :smile:
Original post by varissache

Both universities are equally prestigious domestically, even if Edinburgh is much more well known on a global scale. That said, St Andrews' Philosophy degree is considered to be of an exceptional quality (much like its IR degree). Edinburgh's flagship courses include Medicine and English Lit, but I'm sure their Philosophy department is really good too. I have a lot of friends who did Linguistics at Edinburgh and they all adored it.

In any case, the locations of both universities are incredibly different. I would 100% choose based on whether you'd like to be in a cosmopolitan and medium-sized city (where you can walk everywhere and anywhere), or in an extremely quaint village with only one or two roads.

I personally had a wonderful time in Edinburgh. I think I know a handful of people from TSR that went to St Andys, and I believe they all enjoyed it. You're certainly spoilt for choice. :tongue:
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest