Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I recieved this letter from college today

'At enrolment you were asked to sign a contract stating that you would have no unauthorised absences. As you have today been absent without contacting us we must now ask that you supply a medical certificcate or formal documentation to cover the reason for your absence.

Failure to do so may result in withdrawal from college.'

WHAT!?

I only missed a one our lesson while i waited for my pain killers to kick in because i had really bad period pain.
    I can't get a doctors note for that

I don't understand what i'm supposed to do?

Any help would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Ask them.
    I would say formal documentation could cover a note from your parents saying why you were off.
    But ask. Ring them up.

ReputationRep:
    In my college if you were in college and were in pain/ill then you have to goto the college nurse to get an authorised absence to miss lessons/go home. If you just missed lessons without telling her/your form teacher/your subject teacher its an unauthorised absence.
    Try speaking to your college's nurse, or ask your parents to write a note?

Your college wont chuck you out for missing a day of college, let alone one lesson. Just chill and relax. It's most likely a standard automated letter that's automatically printed off whenever someone's absent

ReputationRep:
    That is disgusting!

You miss only 1 lesson and they wanna kick u out for it. Absolutely pathetic! Is this is all colleges are?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest i'm worried about ringing them, saying the wrong thing and getting withdrawn.
    I messed up pretty bad last year, which is why i was asked to sign this contract - i really didn't think they'd take it so seriously and didn't even read what i signed (silly i know).

Would it be better to ring them now, or go and see someone face to face tommorrow?
    Unfortunatly my college doesn't have a nurse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waiting.)
    I only missed a one our lesson while i waited for my pain killers to kick in because i had really bad period pain.
    Find a male admin guy at your college and tell him that. He'll give you a month off.

ReputationRep:
    I remember my 6th form being hyper sensitive about absences at the start of the year. They'd ring home or send letters for the silliest things. I think we may have even signed something too.

It's all a deterrent, and nobody got anything after the first half term.

They're probably just trying to remind you that your absences are being watched, and that they take it seriously. I highly doubt that anything more will come of it than 'Just don't do it again'. They're fully aware that if someone takes just an hour off that it's pretty unlikely that they needed medical attention and so won't have a sick note.

Just ring them and explain, say you've got the letter and you just weren't well enough to make it for that hour, that you'll catch up with the teacher/lecturer and it was a one off.

If they kick you out they're crackers, they'll have governors and everyone onto them, it just won't happen.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.