The Student Room Group

Changing my degree choice after receiving offers?

Hi!

So in October 2020 I applied to Oxford, UCL, Durham, Imperial and St Andrews for a Masters degree in Theoretical Physics (A-levels: Maths, Further Maths and Physics, predicted A*A*A and got all grade 9's at GCSEs for context), but I now realise I actually don't enjoy physics as much as I thought I did. (I've received offers from UCL and Durham, and a rejection from Oxford, but haven't heard back from the others yet).

I'm thinking about doing a degree in a subject related to politics or something similar, but I don't really want to take a gap year and it's almost the January deadline, which I won't be able to submit an application for as I've used all 5 choices and don't have time to write a personal statement for a new subject.

I'm also interested in studying in Paris, but I need some of the degree to be in England so that I'm eligible for student finance help. I've been looking at Sciences Po, and they have a dual degree in European Social and Political Studies with UCL.

This seems like the perfect choice, but I have no idea whether UCL offer places through Extra (which I would have to do once I've withdrawn all my other applications) or whether they'll let me apply after the deadline by sending a revised personal statement.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated, I would just like to know whether it's even possible before I decide I would like to pursue it.
At this stage you cannot switch Uni choices.
You can however switch courses at the same Unis.

Its entirely the decision of the Unis concerned if they allow you to do this - and that will depend on a) you meeting the entry requirements for the new course, and b) offers being available for that course - and for this reason you need to act before the January deadline. They may ask for a new PS - but you will have a few more days after that email to write this (I suggest you start writing it now if you are serious about this switch and don't wait to be asked).

You should email each Uni individually and ask if you can 'be considered for XXX course' - if they agree they will not switch your course code until they are certain they can offer you the new course. They cannot remove the offer and 'start again', they can only add a 'change course offer' on top. Btw, be VERY certain what you want to do before you send that email - Universities do not like being messed about.

Extra - top Unis like UCL are unlikely to be accepting Extra applications but you can ask - do this before you ditch your existing offers.

If you want to study in France - look for named 'Year Abroad' degrees and be flexible about where in France you will go. You wont get SF for a full degree at Sciences Po.
(edited 3 years ago)
It’s worth looking at ULIP as an option too. They’re the only university I know of based outside the UK which SFE will cover study at normal funding rates.

Afaik ucl have a policy of not accepting anything outside your ucas application - so you can ask them to change your course but they might be snotty about accepting a new PS (and if you can’t write a new PS for a course you think is perfect for you in 2 weeks then it’s maybe not the right course). If you are 100% sure you don’t want to study physics then asking for a swap of course is zero risk - there’s no value to an offer for a course you don’t want to study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending