Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm new here to this forum so I hope I'm posting in the right place. Basically my school blocked hotmail recently for all students. This annoys me so much because I use my hotmail account basically as an online hard drive for work and stuff. I could use my gmail account, but it's the principle of what they did I hate.

Anyway, I was going to try and get past the block today. I know I could use a proxy server, but I would rather not to be honest. Feels too easy, plus it's not always reliable (and they'll block them too). So I was going to use the Command Prompt to get hotmail IP. I used notepad to make a .bat file, but when I opened it, it kept closing. Obviously the school have done something to stop me opening it, but I was wondering if anyone knew how to keep it open?

Plus, once I get the IP, I am presuming that the school have also blocked putting IP addresses straight into the URL bar. I've seen this video on youtube of this formula:

(1st#*2^24)+(2nd#*2^16)+(3rd#*2^ 8)+(4th*2^0)=

Where the '1st#', '2nd#' etc are the numbers of the IP address. Once you get the answer to this, you can use it to go straight to the site. I was wondering if this would work in school too?

If anyone can help that would be great, and if you have any other ideas of how I can get round this then that would be brilliant. REPS at the ready!

ReputationRep:
    Errr... if you launch a batch job by double-clicking it, the command prompt will close as soon as the batch job finishes.

ReputationRep:
    you just put cmd in a .bat yes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aesop)
    you just put cmd in a .bat yes?
    Yeah, making it from notepad.

ReputationRep:
    Forget trying to use the .bat, Can you even open the command prompt normally?

Super Extreme Plan
    Buy a Server
    Get Putty
    Login into that server from school (if you are not blocked by a firewall)
    (learn to) Enjoy text based surfing
    Get your emails via text using something like mutt

It's funny, you want to do something and you can already do it easily but you don't want to do it the easy way so you make it difficult for yourself. Damn it, I just don't understand! I hope the above plan makes it really difficult for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marshey)
    (1st#*2^24)+(2nd#*2^16)+(3rd#*2^ 8)+(4th*2^0)=

Where the '1st#', '2nd#' etc are the numbers of the IP address. Once you get the answer to this, you can use it to go straight to the site. I was wondering if this would work in school too?
    I don't think this will work because the browser will resolve what the above is, like so:

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-...&gfns=1&q=(1st

Then the above will go through the proxy and if not allowed, it will be rejected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abshirf2)
    I don't think this will work because the browser will resolve what the above is, like so:

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-...&gfns=1&q=(1st

Then the above will go through the proxy and if not allowed, it will be rejected.
    You're right. I tried it today and the site was still blocked.

ReputationRep:
    Forget trying to use the .bat, Can you even open the command prompt normally?

Super Extreme Plan
    Buy a Server
    Get Putty
    Login into that server from school (if you are not blocked by a firewall)
    (learn to) Enjoy text based surfing
    Get your emails via text using something like mutt

It's funny, you want to do something and you can already do it easily but you don't want to do it the easy way so you make it difficult for yourself. Damn it, I just don't understand! I hope the above plan makes it really difficult for you!
    Well now I've tried using a proxy server but all of them are blocked!! And I mean ALL of them, which leads me to think that they may have something that searches for the word proxy on the page, then blocks it. Surely there's no way they could block as many as I clicked on. Anyway, I was thinking that if I get the IP address for one of them and go straight to it, (without using google to search), would that work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marshey)
    Anyway, I was thinking that if I get the IP address for one of them and go straight to it, (without using google to search), would that work?
    I don't think this will work either for the same reason as the above, but give it a try. Get IP by URL

To find a good solution for you, we need to know what we are dealing with? What sort of proxy servers are they using? If they are blocking by "keywords" then this might work (i doubt it though since keywords show up in URL):

http://www.google.com/gwt/n - just enter URLs and surf. This tool is by google and it is so that people can convert a normal web page into format that is optimized for rendering in WAP browsers. It will be mainly text surfing though.

This might work too, but again it depends on how they have things setup. Install a browser onto your USB pen/stick and just surf as normal. More info here

ReputationRep:
    I don't think this will work either for the same reason as the above, but give it a try. Get IP by URL

To find a good solution for you, we need to know what we are dealing with? What sort of proxy servers are they using? If they are blocking by "keywords" then this might work (i doubt it though since keywords show up in URL):

http://www.google.com/gwt/n - just enter URLs and surf. This tool is by google and it is so that people can convert a normal web page into format that is optimized for rendering in WAP browsers. It will be mainly text surfing though.

This might work too, but again it depends on how they have things setup. Install a browser onto your USB pen/stick and just surf as normal. More info here
    Thanks a lot, I'll try that later. I don't really want to use firefox etc. incase I get caught really. It's so frustrating though, I'm 17 years old and can't access my emails at school because i might be groomed by a paedophile. Obviously I can see the reasoning behind what they do, but it doesn't change that fact it is really pissing me off!!

Anyway, thanks for your time and help. Repping later ;D

ReputationRep:
    No problem, Good article here with lots of resources.

This has to be added:
    Code:
    Stewie: Hey, ladies! Check out this ride! Huh?! Yeah! I'm off to make trouble for the establishment!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 27, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.