The Student Room Group

A level history nea advice

Hiii, I’m a bit stuck because my question concerns whether religion was the main cause of rebellion in England from 1500-1605, but I’m unsure as to how many rebellions to evaluate. Don’t worry, I have planned it out and produced half of my first draft thankfully, but I’m hoping to include 9 rebellions (3 for each factor: socio-economic causes; religious causes; and political/dynastic causes), but I feel like that may be excessive. Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm doing an NEA as well, but for China in the 20th Century. I think having 9 rebellions isn't excessive, as long as you stay within the word limits. Although, in your description, you say you have 3 rebellions for each factor, have you ensured these cover the entirety of the 16th century? I don't know if your NEA has to do this, but I know in my NEA I can't miss out a ruler of China, or a period of time as I'll otherwise lose time.
Original post by Mobitela
Hi, I'm doing an NEA as well, but for China in the 20th Century. I think having 9 rebellions isn't excessive, as long as you stay within the word limits. Although, in your description, you say you have 3 rebellions for each factor, have you ensured these cover the entirety of the 16th century? I don't know if your NEA has to do this, but I know in my NEA I can't miss out a ruler of China, or a period of time as I'll otherwise lose time.

Thanks for your advice! Yes, I cover the entire century :smile: To double check, do you think this spans the period enough/too much?:
1507 - Henry VII (threat of rebellion by Edmund de la Pole)
1525 - Amicable Grant
1536 - Pilgrimage of Grace
1549 - Prayer Book Rebellion (Kett’s Rebellion occurred simultaneously, but I’m not sure whether to get rid of it)
1554 - Wyatt’s Rebellion
1569 - Northern Rebellion
1596 - Oxfordshire Rising
1601 - Essex’s Rebellion
I’m worried I won’t have room to evaluate the historiography and that I’m being too descriptive because I don’t know how much we’re meant to assume the examiner knows 😫😂
Original post by Anonymousamie
Hiii, I’m a bit stuck because my question concerns whether religion was the main cause of rebellion in England from 1500-1605, but I’m unsure as to how many rebellions to evaluate. Don’t worry, I have planned it out and produced half of my first draft thankfully, but I’m hoping to include 9 rebellions (3 for each factor: socio-economic causes; religious causes; and political/dynastic causes), but I feel like that may be excessive. Thanks!

Leaving out a rebellion for purely arbitrary reasons (eg "I've got too many") could well invalidate any argument you present.
Original post by ageshallnot
Leaving out a rebellion for purely arbitrary reasons (eg "I've got too many") could well invalidate any argument you present.

Thank you, I understand that. I think the problem is that I’ve dedicated two separate paragraphs to my main historians, totalling to around 1,000 words, so now I’m struggling to cover each rebellion equally.
I'm doing my NEA as well, but mine's an enquiry into which monarch possessed the most authority from 1485-1603 in Tudor england. I think that the rebellions aren't too much to talk about but I found that when handing in my first draft the main thing to keep aware of is the word count and structure. I found it (weirdly) easier to write my intro and conclusion first to get my main points across and then delve in deeper (for example talking about the rebellions and factors as such in the middle). Also, I think that if you're going to talk about 9 rebellions your referencing (if you are going to quote from other books) should be shorter. That may help...? I hope it did 😊
Original post by nimr4h216
I'm doing my NEA as well, but mine's an enquiry into which monarch possessed the most authority from 1485-1603 in Tudor england. I think that the rebellions aren't too much to talk about but I found that when handing in my first draft the main thing to keep aware of is the word count and structure. I found it (weirdly) easier to write my intro and conclusion first to get my main points across and then delve in deeper (for example talking about the rebellions and factors as such in the middle). Also, I think that if you're going to talk about 9 rebellions your referencing (if you are going to quote from other books) should be shorter. That may help...? I hope it did 😊

Thanks so much, that’s great help! :smile: It sounds awful, but I’ve already produced 4,000 of the 4,500 words and still have 4 rebellions to go, although I’ve already included two of the primary sources and the historiography, so I’m worried I’ll need to start from scratch or at least reduce the main body paragraphs before I continue because one of them is about 900 words long which is ridiculous. Sorry, I’m just stressing over the word count and this always happens when I do coursework 😂😩
Reply 7

istg i had to legit do that question, but whether economic causes were the main cause and i hated it so much 😂 we were forced to do that question or similar lmaoo. ive submitted it now, but the way i tackled it was looking at the rebellions and stated to what extent they supported the view point/question or not. i really struggled with it, but the main advice i can give is get a coherent argument and stick to it throughout, referring back to it. also go in depth about the causes, for example with political or dynastic state whether it was the whole monarchy is just the minister they were rebellion against. good luck and you can pm me if you want any more tips on this topic aha!
Thanks so much, that’s great help! :smile: It sounds awful, but I’ve already produced 4,000 of the 4,500 words and still have 4 rebellions to go, although I’ve already included two of the primary sources and the historiography, so I’m worried I’ll need to start from scratch or at least reduce the main body paragraphs before I continue because one of them is about 900 words long which is ridiculous. Sorry, I’m just stressing over the word count and this always happens when I do coursework 😂😩

HONESTLYYY I'm at 4400 words and have to cover about 4 more decades in :") and my deadline is on the 15th of Jan
Original post by nimr4h216
HONESTLYYY I'm at 4400 words and have to cover about 4 more decades in :") and my deadline is on the 15th of Jan

Frrr, at least I’m not the only one 😩😂! Did you hear about us not going back until the 11th as well? Don’t worry though you’ve got plenty of time and I bet your draft will be brilliant :smile:
I'm also doing a history NEA but it's on the causes of WW1 and I am already writing more than the suggested words- so I think I might go over the 4000 words. I really need to review it!
Original post by commiesystem
I'm also doing a history NEA but it's on the causes of WW1 and I am already writing more than the suggested words- so I think I might go over the 4000 words. I really need to review it!

Good luck, you’re doing better than me though I’ve nearly hit 6,000 (yikes!) :smile:. Is the limit 4,500 btw because I keep reading different ones?
Good luck, you’re doing better than me though I’ve nearly hit 6,000 (yikes!) :smile:. Is the limit 4,500 btw because I keep reading different ones?

6000 words!! HUGE yikes! that's a lot. our word limit is only 4000 words, what's yours?
Tbf I recall writing you a fairly detailed plan previously, which explained the way to approach it.
Depending on how your essay is structured then you can write one, which is thematic, but then sets itself up to examine each rebellion briefly.
Original post by commiesystem

Out of interest, what's your question?
Frrr, at least I’m not the only one 😩😂! Did you hear about us not going back until the 11th as well? Don’t worry though you’ve got plenty of time and I bet your draft will be brilliant :smile:

Thank you ☺without a doubt you'll smash it! Ikkkk I feel like we need to go into a full lockdown but at the same time I don't want to because I hate online lessons- it feels like you don't have to pay attention but you do! Fingers crossed, 2021 will be much better than this year 😭🤞
What year are you in? Why did you choose such a complex topic?
damn ur topics sound so fun mines on the atomic bomb dropping
We have a 4k limit tooo
Original post by Student100020
What year are you in? Why did you choose such a complex topic?

Year 13. Well, I feel as though it’s the best of a bad lot to be honest, considering the rest are about the influence of women during Tudor times, the impact of Tudor rebellions on the monarchy, etc, plus I’ve been reading around it since May, so feel like it’s too late to change.
Original post by ipsabhatt
damn ur topics sound so fun mines on the atomic bomb dropping
We have a 4k limit tooo

Ahh good luck!! I’d actually love to switch because I’m so much better at modern history, but ah well 😩😂

Quick Reply

Latest