The Student Room Group

JOB

How do i get a part time with no experience at all??
I don't know what other people's opinions are, but below are my pointers.

I'd look carefully for graduate roles (and particularly internships) if you're a uni student/recent graduate.
If you're looking for manual non-skilled work, I'd look at job agencies.
If you're looking for semi-skilled work, I'd consider apprenticeships.

Having said that, there are agency jobs for skilled work as well, but they're rare for no skilled backgrounds; most of the employers tend to look for people with an experienced background.

Volunteering is nice in my experience, but unless you intend to work in a similiar or less intensive environment, I don't consider it that helpful for experience. It's good for an extra reference though.

If you have found a trainee role, they're valuable. The employer will tend to be more accommodating than those who aren't open to training trainees, as training people from the ground up can eat up a lot of resources (hence one of the reasons why so few are willing).
If you attend college where there is some sort of apprenticeship on your course, be thankful you're getting some experience.

Entry level jobs are great to get your foot in the door, but I'd check what sort of job it will lead to e.g. a job flipping burgers is available to virtually anyone (provided you can get the job), but it's unlikely you will get a job designing high rise architecture afterwards - at best, it's great for reference, work ethic, and to show you're not a bad person.

And yes, the above are rare, and that's why so many are asking essentially the same question. It's also why so many people are fighting to get their foot in the door. In an ideal world, there would be more companies offering more trainee positions to people who can do the job and only ask for the necessary qualifications. In reality, this is not the case.

One of the things nonexperienced personnel should be wary of is how prepared you need to be i.e. little to no mistakes allowed. You need to know your material inside out and be on the ball. You need to be enthusiastic and grateful for the job, even if you aren't. The way you work also needs to be according to how your manager wants it, even if you disagree with it or you have found another significantly better way of doing the job. In these scenarios, you essentially want to be a brilliant cog that really suit the manager and company's needs, and if you're not up to performance and fit into the company, you're not likely to stay long. Even if you want more air to breathe and work more according to how you want, you're looking at more senior levels where you take on more responsibility for other people's work. Inflexibility and a strong sense of independence might not be the best attributes to have here - that includes what hours you can work. Pay would essentially be the last thing on your mind when starting.
If you don't inspire confidence from your manager, make your manager look good, work according to your manager's expectations, and do the job well, don't expect to stay.
On the other hand, you also need to know when and how to stick up for yourself. Joshua Fluke does videos on Corporate Cringe on YouTube, you might be interested in. He does talk about trainee level jobs and how people can be desperate to apply for some work many shouldn't.

If you're going for design or programming work, it helps if you have a portfolio to show to people. They cost little to put together and they tend to be a good showcase of your capabilities. It's what most freelancers do.

The other thing I would recommend doing is to network as well as you can. Securing the job is essentially sales and marketing, where the product is you. Have your up to date CV at hand, don't close too early or late, highlight good selling points. LinkedIn is useful if you're going for professional roles.
Hello

Technically that really doesn't matter. Confidence is way more important however along with the right skills and growth mindset as well. Definitely research local companies online in order to find out a bit more and also view a few different job descriptions too. Look at personal specifications additionally. Note what sort of skills and qualities are needed.

Make brief notes additionally in case. Forget any irrelevant pay related questions at first but you can certainly ask someone on your first proper day though. Write down contact information.

Read far beyond the lines of the job description etc to get more information about the company. Borrow a couple of career advice books from your local library and read them properly. Find out as much as possible on top of that. Focus more on your skills and qualities. Prove that you can do the job correctly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending