Can a bsc chemistry grad get entry to later years of beng chemical engineering degree

Watch this thread
Jo2255
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am a final year bsc chemistry student. I am thinking of going into either beng or meng in ChemE , can i a get entry year 2 or year 3 entry ?Also can i get into msc chemical engineering with a chemistry degree ?

P.S : I don't study physics with my chemistry degree instead i study a module called petrochemicals, which is related to petroleum refining.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Probably not, outside of Scotland (which has direct entry schemes already for non-degree graduates) or maybe Cambridge if you enter as an affiliated student. You might be able to find some kind of "conversion" masters programme/diploma that may accept you though (I think UCL used to have one).

ChemE degrees have relatively little chemistry and much more maths and physics-related content than a chemistry degree does. Since first year of a chemE degree will be spent teaching you vector calculus, differential equations, basic fluid mechanics etc, which form the core basis of pretty much the rest of the degree, I can't see that it would be possible or wise to skip it unless the programme structure specifically doesn't start that till later (e.g. at Cambridge or in Scottish courses). The only content you would have previously covered is the usual token first year organic chemistry module(s), and any thermodynamics content (and even the latter you might not have done in the same format as you would study in the chemE course).

I would note that funding for a second undergraduate degree is extremely limited and in the case of chemE you would only be eligible for funding if you were studying the course part-time. I do not believe there are many such part time degrees in the subject area out there, so that is probably a better place to start thinking about things than whether you can "skip" years of the course. I think a couple of Scottish unis had some kind of part-time or degree apprenticeship formats for the course (probably Dundee or Aberdeen due to their links to the O&G industry, maybe others), so that might be worth exploring.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jo2255)
I am a final year bsc chemistry student. I am thinking of going into either beng or meng in ChemE , can i a get entry year 2 or year 3 entry ?Also can i get into msc chemical engineering with a chemistry degree ?

P.S : I don't study physics with my chemistry degree instead i study a module called petrochemicals, which is related to petroleum refining.
As artful_lounger says, you can't generally enter a degree half-way through. Except if you are transferring between universities, but doing the same course. And as artful_lounger also says, chemistry and chemical engineering are different degrees in different fields (chemistry is a science whereas chemical engineering is an engineering discipline, and us much more based on maths and physics, like other engineering disciplines, than you'd think). Even if you could skip first year, you would have covered little if any of the underlying content (maths, thermodynamics (in an engineering content), fluid mechanics, heat transfer, etc.) of the degree.

However, you can do a chemical engineering MSc after a chemistry BSc.
Jo2255
Rep:
(Original post by Smack)
As artful_lounger says, you can't generally enter a degree half-way through. Except if you are transferring between universities, but doing the same course. And as artful_lounger also says, chemistry and chemical engineering are different degrees in different fields (chemistry is a science whereas chemical engineering is an engineering discipline, and us much more based on maths and physics, like other engineering disciplines, than you'd think). Even if you could skip first year, you would have covered little if any of the underlying content (maths, thermodynamics (in an engineering content), fluid mechanics, heat transfer, etc.) of the degree.

However, you can do a chemical engineering MSc after a chemistry BSc.
How difficult is to study msc chemical engineering for a bsc chemistry graduate ?
Also is it possible for a non-chemE graduate to get into a msc ChemE program?
Smack
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
How difficult is to study msc chemical engineering for a bsc chemistry graduate ?
I'm not sure, but I'd imagine it depends on how much of the relevant material you'll have covered, and the specific material that the degree covers. If you read up on some relevant material before the course that should help. How good is your maths/physics?

Yes, as I said you can often gain entry to them with a chemistry undergrad.
Last edited by Smack; 1 year ago
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
As others have alluded to, a few universities offer Chem eng conversion MScs for people with related degrees. Taking one wouldn't get you to the same standard as some one who had done an MEng (or a BEng + standard MSc) but you would cover a lot of the BEng work and it would still be possible, with further learning, to get chartered.
Jo2255
Rep:
(Original post by Smack)
I'm not sure, but I'd imagine it depends on how much of the relevant material you'll have covered, and the specific material that the degree covers. If you read up on some relevant material before the course that should help. How good is your maths/physics?

Yes, as I said you can often gain entry to them with a chemistry undergrad.
My math skills are average. During my bachelors i have studied partial derivatives, differential equations,multiple integrals,abstract alegbra ,vectors etc.

Last time i studied physics was during my high school since my degree doesn't have a dedicated physics module. Also i was good at high school physics

I also studied kinetics and thermodynamics with chemistry in my bachelors
Jo2255
Rep:
Also i have contacted tesside university, they said that it is possible to get direct entry to 2nd year of beng chemical engineering program with a bsc chemistry degree. Should i choose that route ? Also is tesside university any good ?
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Also i have contacted tesside university, they said that it is possible to get direct entry to 2nd year of beng chemical engineering program with a bsc chemistry degree. Should i choose that route ? Also is tesside university any good ?
It's chem eng courses are accredited by IChemE which means it is good enough https://www.icheme.org/education/fin...ree-programme/
Smack
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
That's interesting. I guess then the choice is between second year entry or straight to masters. If you take the later, you will of course have a masters degree, but if you go back to a bachelors you'll have more time to obtain relevant work experience (which'll help when it comes to securing a job), and maybe also cover more relevant material.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (14)
31.11%
Take a gap year (10)
22.22%
Resit my exams (8)
17.78%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (6)
13.33%
I don't know yet (4)
8.89%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
6.67%

Watched Threads