The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Good luck in the e tray Stomm. Based on two experiences of the e tray my tip would be to pace yourself and read all the emails in the inbox before starting replies. Last year I completed this part with 10 minutes to spare!
Reply 381
How long does it take to get a date for FSAC after passing the E-tray? I'm going to the familiarisation session on the 29th.. do they not give you a FSAC date until after you've been to that? Thanks
I'm doing my familairsation on the 29th too! Hope to see you then! But I already have my date for my FSAC for Feb 10th. But had to wait a while between getting the dates!
Just back from my e-tray, Now on to obessively checking my application progress page...

Numeracy and literacy things were fine, but I found the e-tray a bit tough. There were only very fine lines of distinction between each of the options. Definitely harder than the practice one. I have to go lie down, I've got a massive headache after looking at that bloody screen all morning!
Reply 384
I've found http://www.civilserviceprep.co.uk/ to be useful in gearing up and practicing my mind, especially for the numerical reasoning stuff even though its the sort of thing I would have breezed through sixteen years ago. Lack of practice with this sort of thing means that you forget how to figure out even simple things like percentage differences, etc...

The E-Tray practice stuff is good in that it helps you to start thinking in the frame of mind that you may need. The format is very different though (layout I mean), so you need to be wary of that. I guess I'll find out if the E-tray stuff is any good on Thursday when I take the thing again.

Oh and obviously the big downside of this is that you have to pay for it. But I figured that I'd rather pay a little now to work my brain back up to speed certainly for the psyc tests, as the payoff at the end is most definately worth it. Just like paying for a 4* hotel that is five minute's walk from the assessment centre so that I can get up at 5:30am rather than 4:30am...
Reply 385
Elmo_321
How long does it take to get a date for FSAC after passing the E-tray? I'm going to the familiarisation session on the 29th.. do they not give you a FSAC date until after you've been to that? Thanks

Familiarisation session?
Its for people with a disability. Goes through everything that you're gonna have on the FSAC day
Reply 387
Ah right. Someone (perhaps yourself) posted about that a couple of pages back, should have remembered really.

In my defence though I only found this thread and thus website yesterday, and having spent several hours trawling through it am somewhat suffering from snow-blindness from my computer screen...

On a side issue, and almost certainly too late for anyone now. Last year I included the Clerkship in the HoC/HoL as one of my options, and I found the open day to be very interesting indeed. I got a better tour of the Houses of Parliament than I've ever got before and you get to see areas that obviously aren't open to the public. So even if you're not sure about applying for this option, I'd say its almost worth doing so just for the open day....
Ellsbells3032
Its for people with a disability. Goes through everything that you're gonna have on the FSAC day

Everyone attends a familiarisation day before the full FSAC - unless they've changed things.
Stomm

On a side issue, and almost certainly too late for anyone now. Last year I included the Clerkship in the HoC/HoL as one of my options, and I found the open day to be very interesting indeed. I got a better tour of the Houses of Parliament than I've ever got before and you get to see areas that obviously aren't open to the public. So even if you're not sure about applying for this option, I'd say its almost worth doing so just for the open day....

The PGCS course most Fast Streamers end up doing will take you on such a tour - and more...
Aww god, this is sooo unfair. I want to know if I got through to the FSAC. *Stamps foot*
are civil service jobs even paid well?
Prince Rhyus
Everyone attends a familiarisation day before the full FSAC - unless they've changed things.

All candidates who declare a disability are offered the opportunity to attend a half-day familiarisation session before coming to the Assessment Centre. The familiarisation session helps ensure that you will arrive for the Assessment Centre briefed, as fully as possible, on the assessment process and that you are satisfied with any adjustments you may have requested.

During the familiarisation session, you’ll be talked through a written exercise and a group exercise similar to those you’ll encounter at the Assessment Centre and you’ll have the opportunity to practise them. Afterwards, you will have the chance to discuss these with an assessor. During the session, you’ll have the opportunity for a one-to-one discussion with a member of the Civil Service Selection Board (CSSB) team to discuss any individual requirements you would have when participating in an Assessment Centre event.

As taken from the website...saying that its for those with disabilities
cruciform
are civil service jobs even paid well?

No - we're servants of the Crown and as such are paid little more than the minimum wage. The status of being servants of the Crown, the medals you get after long service, the chance of working in a posh old building and being in on every other conspiracy theory going about how the country is run is remuneration enough. :yep:

Well...we have to put off the vultures and city boys from applying somehow. How do you think we nationalised half the banking sector so easily :cool:
Stomm
I've found http://www.civilserviceprep.co.uk/ to be useful in gearing up and practicing my mind, especially for the numerical reasoning stuff even though its the sort of thing I would have breezed through sixteen years ago. Lack of practice with this sort of thing means that you forget how to figure out even simple things like percentage differences, etc...

And you can get practice for all the numerical and verbal reasoning tests from other websites (that are barely different from other such tests in the graduate recruitment field) for free or from charity bookshops selling second hand versions of guides to such tests.

Alternatively, you could join the civil service as a normal civil servant and go through the in-service route, not worry about psychometric tests and get 1-2-1 coaching with your workmates who have previously done the FSAC - people who know your strengths and weaknesses through working with you. And because you do all of the above during work time, you get paid for it! :cool:
Prince Rhyus
And you can get practice for all the numerical and verbal reasoning tests from other websites (that are barely different from other such tests in the graduate recruitment field) for free or from charity bookshops selling second hand versions of guides to such tests.

Alternatively, you could join the civil service as a normal civil servant and go through the in-service route, not worry about psychometric tests and get 1-2-1 coaching with your workmates who have previously done the FSAC - people who know your strengths and weaknesses through working with you. And because you do all of the above during work time, you get paid for it! :cool:

Although if you're going to spend years in the civil service anyway, it probably makes more sense to spend time in your early years in non-civil service jobs. You get a much needed outside perspective on working life outside of government.

Pay is =n't too bad either, particularly compared to other non-finance jobs; the old buildings are often cold and the computers antiquated; and amongst many members of the general public, the status of servants of the crown is akin to the status of traffic wardens.
Reply 396
Prince Rhyus
If you can stay overnight in London, there's less of a worry about public transport screwing up.

Yes, its well worth everyone applying reading up on the expenses policy on the Fast Stream website if asked to attend the FSAC - as they will probably pay for a hotel room for you.

Can anyone who has made it though to the FSAC this year tell me if they have been invited to an 'FSAC open day' before their actual assessment day?

This would be different event than the 'familiarisation session' that those with a disability get to go too - and some of you have mentioned - in that its not as detailed about the FSAC but it does at least give you a chance to know where the assessment centre is, have a Q&A session with current Fast Streamers and a visit to a government department in the afternoon..

Just wondered if they are doing them this year, as I quite fancy being in a Q&A :smile:
Reply 397
Prince Rhyus

I bought a load of books last year, worked through some of the tests but ultimately I don't really have the time or inclination to do something that's in a paperback book that I've got to virtually demolish the spine to be able to read the questions.

I've also done most of the free tests I could find through the use of Google at least. But most of those don't actually give you any feedback as such, to let you know just where you went wrong.

So that's why I decided to part with some cash for access to some tests that give you your score at the end, plus the right answers. I also got my dad to coach me through some of the statistical stuff, as well he was an economist in the Department of Transport until he retired last year and still does some consultancy stuff for them. So he knows his numbers, certainly better than I do or did at least...

Prince Rhyus

I don't really have that option due to the cost of child care, or certainly haven't really had that option. We've got two young girls under the age of three and even on a Fast Stream salary pretty much everything (if not actually everything) I earn would end up going towards childcare costs. My wife was until just before Christmas one of those 'evil investment banker types that have ruined our economy' and is currenly going through the redundency process, but fingers crossed should be able to get a job elsewhere in the same bank, probably on the corporate banking side of things.

All that being said I am keeping my eye on the Civil Service Recruitment Gateway for any likely opportunities. Just got to sort out my attributes, iron out the kinks in my CV and figure out how to tailor it for each job. The way I see it the sooner I start qualifying for a pension the better...
Well, right now I'm sitting in Manchester's Chorlton Street Coach Station across the road from the test centre, bricking it before my e-tray. Arrived way too early, as usual. But I suppose it's better than being late!

Did the practice e-tray yesterday and, I have to say, I quite enjoyed it. I realize that it's simpler than the one I'm about to do, but roleplaying is quite fun anyway. I work for the NHS so I really dug the immunisation theme.

I took the instructions for their word and came in jeans and a sweater... and now, rather trivially, I'm wondering what everyone else is going to turn up in...

I've entered that running-on-adrenaline stage now so forgive the delirium.
gt94sss2

Can anyone who has made it though to the FSAC this year tell me if they have been invited to an 'FSAC open day' before their actual assessment day?

This would be different event than the 'familiarisation session' that those with a disability get to go too - and some of you have mentioned - in that its not as detailed about the FSAC but it does at least give you a chance to know where the assessment centre is, have a Q&A session with current Fast Streamers and a visit to a government department in the afternoon..

Just wondered if they are doing them this year, as I quite fancy being in a Q&A :smile:

Yes they are still doing open days. I had mine last week, although I didn't get the to visit a government department.

On another note, I've got a familiarisation session tomorrow and don't have my passport or a document bearing my national insurance number. I do have my drivers licence and candidate number (and have my N.I. number written on a scrap of paper), will this be adequate do you think?

Latest

Trending

Trending