The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Prince Rhyus
If you're not good with acronyms, you'll struggle in the civil service - and local government for that matter.

Well I might as well withdraw from the process.

I was asking because I wasn't aware of what some of the acronyms referred to. I was familiar with terms such as CD and HoP because I have applied for those departments, but not TiB because I was not aware of that particular stream.

Sorry for what may be perceived to be an over reaction, but I really don't appreciate throw away remarks. Remarks that essentially constitute a sweeping statement with very little basis apart from the posters on experience. I for an example worked for the largest city council in Europe for four years, but I do not claim to be an absolute authority on local government throughout the country. And I would never take something as trivial as someone asking for a glossary of acronyms, and then extrapolate that into determining their suitability for a certain job.

Rant over - I apologise interrupting.
Reply 741
Just a note to let everyone know it is well worth contacting the Fast Stream team if you are awaiting results for more than one option...

I was showing "awaiting results" on HoP and sent a quick query email this morning. They replied to say that I am on amber for HoP, BUT my mark was enough to make me confirmed to pass Central Depts should I fail at HoP.

I can't tell you how relieved I am to know I have at least something!!!!

Good luck to everyone :smile:
Reply 742
Sorry if I'm being dense here - do you mean that your message shows "Awaiting results" for CD as welll as HoP? But when you emailed they checked your results to tell you you had passed CD?
Reply 743
rej17
Just a note to let everyone know it is well worth contacting the Fast Stream team if you are awaiting results for more than one option...

I was showing "awaiting results" on HoP and sent a quick query email this morning. They replied to say that I am on amber for HoP, BUT my mark was enough to make me confirmed to pass Central Depts should I fail at HoP.

I can't tell you how relieved I am to know I have at least something!!!!

Good luck to everyone :smile:

Thanks so much for the advice, i'd resigned myself to a long wait till April to find out my results for sure, but i just followed your advice and got the following message back

"I can confirm that you are in the amber bracket for the Diplomatic Service option. You will not have written notification of your other options until you hear the outcome of your 1st option.

However you have reached the pass mark for the Central Departments and therefore if you do not reach the pass mark for the Diplomatic or Houses of Parliament options you will fall through to the Central Departments."

Which i'm assuming means I've at very least passed central depts-although i won't celebrate too much until i have official confirmation! Anyone else had any results from e-mailing them?

Oh and thanks to everyone on this discussion board as i've been lurking in the background for a while now reading about what to expect, how you all got on, etc, and it's all been massively useful. Good luck to everyone and i'm still holding my breathe for the DS results.
Reply 744
rah2903
I got the exact same message as you...and like you, want to take from it that i have at least got through to central services..and yet I dont want to celebrate in case I am taking it up wrong.
what do other people think of the message we received? Is it safe to assume we've at least got a job in CS?
thanks
Reply 745
Hi guys - I got that message and so wrote back to confirm what "fall through to the Central depts" means. And they said yes, this means that if I fail HoP then I am confirmed a job at Central Departments.

So... time for a mini celebration!

And to ym17, my page was only showing "awaiting results" for HoP and didn't say anything about Central Depts. That is why I contacted them.
Reply 746
jonbar123
central services..
Is it safe to assume we've at least got a job in CS?

Central Depts?
What did you email saying?
Reply 748
Quady
Central Depts?

sorry, yeah central depts!!
what you think, safe to assume?
Reply 749
Ellsbells3032
What did you email saying?

Copies of emails as follows:

FS:
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 02 Mar 2009 13:18
Subject: RE: marking

I can confirm that you are in the amber bracket for the Houses of Parliament option. You will not have written notification of your other options until you hear the outcome of your 1st option.
However you have reached the pass mark for the Central Departments and therefore if you do not reach the pass mark for the Houses of Parliament you will fall through to the Central Departments.
With best wishes
Fast Stream Team

ME:
Sent: 02 Mar 2009 14:04
To: FastStream Team

Many thanks for the message. Could you confirm that this means that if I do not get HoP I am definitely confirmed a place in Central Departments?
Thanks,

THEM:
Yes if you are unsuccessful for Houses of Parliament you are definitely guaranteed a place in Central Departments.
With Best Wishes
Fast Stream Team

:smile: :smile: :smile:
Like Ellsbells3032 above, I would like to know what you good people asked in your emails. My situation is:

1 Diplomatic Service Unsuccessful
2 Houses of Parliament Awaiting Results {*}
3 Central Departments Awaiting Results

Do you think this means I am in amber band for both HoP and CD, or what?

Any help appreciated.
rej17
Copies of emails as follows:

FS:
Sent: 02 Mar 2009 13:18

I can confirm that you are in the amber bracket for the Houses of Parliament option. You will not have written notification of your other options until you hear the outcome of your 1st option.
However you have reached the pass mark for the Central Departments and therefore if you do not reach the pass mark for the Houses of Parliament you will fall through to the Central Departments.
With best wishes
Fast Stream Team

ME:

Sent: 02 Mar 2009 14:04
To: FastStream Team

Many thanks for the message. Could you confirm that this means that if I do not get HoP I am definitely confirmed a place in Central Departments?
Thanks,

THEM:
Yes if you are unsuccessful for Houses of Parliament you are definitely guaranteed a place in Central Departments.
With Best Wishes
Fast Stream Team

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Ok, was more questioning what your original email said but I already emailed them asking now. Couldn't wait. lol.

*fingers crossed*
Reply 752
Sorry! confusion in the excitement...

Just in case anyone needs to know, original email was something like:

Apologies to bother you, but I just have a quick query. I am still "awaiting results" for the HoP option. Does this mean I am in the "amber" band for HoP and Central Departments or just HoP?
Many thanks for any help you can offer.
Got a response saying I'm still in the amber bracket and I will find out towards the end of march or april. Well that didn't really answer my question
I've sent my email in, but no response yet. Has anyone else sent one in?

Maybe they have wised up to what we are doing.
Ok, they emailed back to say I was amber band for my HoP and CD. Oh well.
Reply 756
I'm amber banded for both - I emailed them and got confirmation. Have they actually set the HoP pass/fail mark then (immediate)? Because last I checked they hadn't but somebody above suggested they had...? If not then being amber banded for HoP means nothing. In fact either way it could mean nothing.

Back to the grind of 10,000 words due in 10 days. This is very effective at keeping my mind off Fast Stream worries.
Reply 757
rej17 you are an absolute legend.

I e-mailed them as well this evening, and got a response saying I was amber banded for my first choice, but had got through to CD.

p.s. I've been watching this thread for months, but only just registered - just thought I'd say that everyone here has been a great help getting through this process over the past few weeks!
I guess that means my score is fairly low:-( *sigh*
Reply 759
swami
Well I might as well withdraw from the process.

I was asking because I wasn't aware of what some of the acronyms referred to. I was familiar with terms such as CD and HoP because I have applied for those departments, but not TiB because I was not aware of that particular stream.

Sorry for what may be perceived to be an over reaction, but I really don't appreciate throw away remarks. Remarks that essentially constitute a sweeping statement with very little basis apart from the posters on experience. I for an example worked for the largest city council in Europe for four years, but I do not claim to be an absolute authority on local government throughout the country. And I would never take something as trivial as someone asking for a glossary of acronyms, and then extrapolate that into determining their suitability for a certain job.

Rant over - I apologise interrupting.

I think he meant it as a joke, no need to take it personally, etc...

I have to say I am somewhat green with for all of you that have got through. I'm currently keeping watch on the CS recruitment gateway for any EO or even interesting AO jobs to apply for. Ironically enough I've got a test for an EO job working in a Job Centre next week, which if it pans out might work out well as I'd probably only have to travel for 20mins to get to work, and might even be able to do it PT.

Latest