The Student Room Group

I can't decide my alevels

I'm in year 11 and I have picked 4 a level subjects as my school allows us to drop and change during first few weeks

History
English
Biology
Chemistry

For english and history both are subjects I am interested in and like to do and opens up career in law or politics or similar

For biology, it is my favourite science but I've heard without chemistry it isn't that credible or useful (don't quote me on that though) I also took the sciences as it gives me the backup of science if I changed my mind and I wouldn't mind going into science field.

I was hoping that when I get to a level I'd pick b/w eng and history and drop one but I do have the worry that I'll end up liking both of them so I'm not sure.

but I'm still not completely sure about it
well if you want to have the route of a medical field open to you, you have to keep chemistry as majority of the uni's will need chem but if you are looking for a generic science related uni course the its ok to drop chem. If you have motivation and love for english and history then it is best to keep it because you need motivation when doing ALevels.
Original post by NR:)
I'm in year 11 and I have picked 4 a level subjects as my school allows us to drop and change during first few weeks

History
English
Biology
Chemistry

For english and history both are subjects I am interested in and like to do and opens up career in law or politics or similar

For biology, it is my favourite science but I've heard without chemistry it isn't that credible or useful (don't quote me on that though) I also took the sciences as it gives me the backup of science if I changed my mind and I wouldn't mind going into science field.

I was hoping that when I get to a level I'd pick b/w eng and history and drop one but I do have the worry that I'll end up liking both of them so I'm not sure.

but dyu like have to drop one?
Hi, it's totally up to you- I study Politics at uni and I did A level English (alongside Politics & Classical Civilisation at A2) and I really enjoyed it. However, I'd say at university it's not really required for any subject unless you're thinking of applying to do an English degree. In terms of prospects, the combination of History, Biology and Chemistry leaves you with loads of options- same for English, Biology and Chemistry but I'd argue History would be (marginally) better for law or politics. I can't really comment on whether or not you need Chemistry A level to study a science-based / biology degree but having it would probably make things easier for you down the line. Best option would be to study all for AS and drop one for A2. (If AS levels are still a thing- not sure how much has changed in the last 3 years!)
Reply 4
Original post by za.seemab
but dyu like have to drop one?

Its more about whether I'll be able to handle 4 a levels because considering myself, I don't think I would be able to keep up with all 4 especially since all 4 are content heavy. 2 essay based subjects with science sounds like a nightmare (to me)
If you’re thinking of a career in law or politics then I’d stick with English and history and drop chem since it sounds like you’re only doing it based off some misguided advice

Most uni courses don’t have subject requirements but obviously doing similar ones does help. Don’t feel like you have to do chemistry just because someone said that you need to
Reply 6
Original post by kiera28
Hi, it's totally up to you- I study Politics at uni and I did A level English (alongside Politics & Classical Civilisation at A2) and I really enjoyed it. However, I'd say at university it's not really required for any subject unless you're thinking of applying to do an English degree. In terms of prospects, the combination of History, Biology and Chemistry leaves you with loads of options- same for English, Biology and Chemistry but I'd argue History would be (marginally) better for law or politics. I can't really comment on whether or not you need Chemistry A level to study a science-based / biology degree but having it would probably make things easier for you down the line. Best option would be to study all for AS and drop one for A2. (If AS levels are still a thing- not sure how much has changed in the last 3 years!)

Oh yeah! I like the idea of doing all 4 for AS then dropping one. For one of my sixth form options I dont think AS level is offered but for the other it is so I'll definitely be keeping that as an option thank youuu.
Also you already touched on it a little bit but which do you think is more useful English or History??? I know its quite a general question with no sloid answer but I'd love to hear your opinion (also your opinion on English A level if thats alright):smile:
Reply 7
Original post by WantBeAnonymous
If you’re thinking of a career in law or politics then I’d stick with English and history and drop chem since it sounds like you’re only doing it based off some misguided advice

Most uni courses don’t have subject requirements but obviously doing similar ones does help. Don’t feel like you have to do chemistry just because someone said that you need to

I see. I guess its because most uni's have chem required over biology (or both) for science specific degrees. I'm not completely sure but thank you for the advice :smile:

History
English
Biology
Chemistry

if you don’t enjoy chemistry please take caution. It is HARD
Oh yeah! I like the idea of doing all 4 for AS then dropping one. For one of my sixth form options I dont think AS level is offered but for the other it is so I'll definitely be keeping that as an option thank youuu.
Also you already touched on it a little bit but which do you think is more useful English or History??? I know its quite a general question with no sloid answer but I'd love to hear your opinion (also your opinion on English A level if thats alright):smile:

If you feel like you'd be able to manage four, at least at the beginning, I'd go for it. I did four and got ABBB at AS level and after dropping one for A2 ending up with A*A*Ab overall. Getting used to the workload of 4 subjects at AS meant that I ended up doing well at A level as I used all my frees for homework in year 13 and still had evenings / weekends free. Even if you don't stick the 4 out you can get a taste in the first few weeks and will be better placed to know what to drop. I really enjoyed English A level- I think we were with Edexcel and studied Othello, A Streetcar Named Desire, Death of a Salesman, Frankenstein, The Handmade's Tale, The Wife of Bath and the modern (post 2000) poetry anthology. The discussions were interesting and the course was good. I'd say not to be disheartened at the beginning though when you first get essays back because it is a huge step up. I went from A*s at GCSE to Cs at the beginning of my A levels. As long as you keep at it and take feedback on board you'll be fine :smile: The essay skills have deffo helped me at uni! Can't say anything about History as I didn't take it (at GCSE or A Level) but I've survived my Politics degree without it.
Drop chem
Reply 11
Original post by kiera28
If you feel like you'd be able to manage four, at least at the beginning, I'd go for it. I did four and got ABBB at AS level and after dropping one for A2 ending up with A*A*Ab overall. Getting used to the workload of 4 subjects at AS meant that I ended up doing well at A level as I used all my frees for homework in year 13 and still had evenings / weekends free. Even if you don't stick the 4 out you can get a taste in the first few weeks and will be better placed to know what to drop. I really enjoyed English A level- I think we were with Edexcel and studied Othello, A Streetcar Named Desire, Death of a Salesman, Frankenstein, The Handmade's Tale, The Wife of Bath and the modern (post 2000) poetry anthology. The discussions were interesting and the course was good. I'd say not to be disheartened at the beginning though when you first get essays back because it is a huge step up. I went from A*s at GCSE to Cs at the beginning of my A levels. As long as you keep at it and take feedback on board you'll be fine :smile: The essay skills have deffo helped me at uni! Can't say anything about History as I didn't take it (at GCSE or A Level) but I've survived my Politics degree without it.

This was really insightful and useful, I'll be taking into account everything thank youuuu

Quick Reply

Latest