When is the REAL deadline for UCAS applications?

Watch
IWINTWIN
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I know it says that for the majority of courses, universities, including UCAS, have a January 15th deadline, but one thing I don’t understand is doesn’t UCAS need time to process your application then send it to the university?

Eg. you send your application with all the references needed at 14th Jan, deadline is the 15th. I’ve heard that getting your application processed can take anywhere from 2 working days to 2 weeks. So even by submitting it on the 14th, it’s processed by the 16th then the universities get it a day later than the deadline. (15th Jan)

Please, someone explain.
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by IWINTWIN)
I know it says that for the majority of courses, universities, including UCAS, have a January 15th deadline, but one thing I don’t understand is doesn’t UCAS need time to process your application then send it to the university?

Eg. you send your application with all the references needed at 14th Jan, deadline is the 15th. I’ve heard that getting your application processed can take anywhere from 2 working days to 2 weeks. So even by submitting it on the 14th, it’s processed by the 16th then the universities get it a day later than the deadline. (15th Jan)

Please, someone explain.
You’re over thinking this - as long as the application is submitted by 15th Jan at 18:00, the application must be considered equally by the universities.

In reality, universities may even accept applications after the deadline, there is just no guarantee of equal consideration and so it’s probably worth dropping an email before submitting late to ensure it will be accepted.

They’re not trying to catch you out!
IWINTWIN
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueEyedGirl_)
You’re over thinking this - as long as the application is submitted by 15th Jan at 18:00, the application must be considered equally by the universities.

In reality, universities may even accept applications after the deadline, there is just no guarantee of equal consideration and so it’s probably worth dropping an email before submitting late to ensure it will be accepted.

They’re not trying to catch you out!
I don’t understand, what’s this reference to universities? The application is sent to UCAS first isn’t it? Surely if you submit your application on the 15th, UCAS don’t send it straight to the universities on the same working day as they haven’t processed the application?
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I don’t understand, what’s this reference to universities? The application is sent to UCAS first isn’t it? Surely if you submit your application on the 15th, UCAS don’t send it straight to the universities on the same working day as they haven’t processed the application?
The only deadline is that applied by UCAS. Universities are well used to receiving on-time applications a day or so later.
IWINTWIN
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
The only deadline is that applied by UCAS. Universities are well used to receiving on-time applications a day or so later.
Wait, but doesn’t it take at least 2 days to process an application?. And you said “universities are used to receiving on-time applications a day or so later”. How is the application on time as the deadline for the university course(s) (majority) are on the 15th?
Goldenkey000
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Wait so I have a question about this subject. So is all I have to do is send my ucas application and ucas will send it to my chosen universities or do I have to send it to the uni?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Wait, but doesn’t it take at least 2 days to process an application?. And you said “universities are used to receiving on-time applications a day or so later”. How is the application on time as the deadline for the university course(s) (majority) are on the 15th?
The deadline is for UCAS and universities know that your application has been submitted by the equal consideration deadline. You are over-thinking this.
IWINTWIN
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
The deadline is for UCAS and universities know that your application has been submitted by the equal consideration deadline. You are over-thinking this.
I see. Okay, thanks for that!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
UCAS flag all applications they receive by the deadline as “on time” before sending on to universities. Universities can look at the “on time” flag to see if an application was submitted by the deadline. They use the flag not the date that the application is sent to them by UCAS
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Goldenkey000)
Wait so I have a question about this subject. So is all I have to do is send my ucas application and ucas will send it to my chosen universities or do I have to send it to the uni?
UCAS will send it
aBalloonaBalloon
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
The vast vast vast majority of courses will consider applications from way beyond the deadline. Getting it in by the deadline means they guarantee to consider it on the same basis as all other "on-time" applications. But for most courses at most unis sending it later makes no difference. The exceptions are usually the extremely competitive courses at a few unis.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed