Tips please on how to choose a-levels.

Watch
notinvolved19
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi everyone

I have made so many A-level-choosing help posts haha but I am so lost with choosing A levels. I've read on websites and received advice on how I shouldn't choose my A-levels, but does anyone have some advice on how I SHOULD choose my A-levels please?

Have to choose them next month ahhh help please
nzy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
1. What do you want to do in the future?
2. What do/will you enjoy?
3. What are you good at?
not necessarily in that order
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by notinvolved19)
Hi everyone

I have made so many A-level-choosing help posts haha but I am so lost with choosing A levels. I've read on websites and received advice on how I shouldn't choose my A-levels, but does anyone have some advice on how I SHOULD choose my A-levels please?

Have to choose them next month ahhh help please
Hey! Try not to stress too much about it, you can change the subject combinations later (usually within a couple of weeks) if it doesn't work out. Do you have a rough idea of what you want to do later in life? Doesn't matter if you don't. Also, think about what subjects you enjoy/interested in - this may help you to decide what subjects to study at A-Level.
Emily~3695
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
When I was choosing mine I really struggled because I had similar grades in everything, I chose my a levels based only on what I liked which I think is the most important as if you like something you are more likely to put in the effort to do well. It is also important to lick something you are good at as a levels are a lot harder than GCSEs. Do you have an future plans? If you do it would be a good idea to look at what a level subjects you need to follow that career path. I do maths further maths physics and chemistry if you have any questions about any of these subjects
notinvolved19
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emily~3695)
When I was choosing mine I really struggled because I had similar grades in everything, I chose my a levels based only on what I liked which I think is the most important as if you like something you are more likely to put in the effort to do well. It is also important to lick something you are good at as a levels are a lot harder than GCSEs. Do you have an future plans? If you do it would be a good idea to look at what a level subjects you need to follow that career path. I do maths further maths physics and chemistry if you have any questions about any of these subjects
Thank you so much for this advice!
I'm trying to follow with choosing subjects I enjoy, but it's just weird as I'm not sure what I like at the moment! But I understand why that is important.
Good luck with your A levels! Haha I can't have any questions about your subject except how long left until I can drop them as GCSE's?? Haha I am terrible at maths and those sciences.
I am interested in studying Psychology.
I will bear what you have said in mind. Thanks again
AstaYunoo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
For me it was first
Do I have the grades to apply?
Will the subject interest me in 5 years time?
Are there enough resources available to excel within these subjects?
You really need to choose subjects you know will give you progression and one you can improve upon with practice as unlike GCSE's, an Alevel is a complete new start and background knowledge is hardly helpful (most are relearnt) so you need the will power to take it forwards for 2 years
notinvolved19
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Hey! Try not to stress too much about it, you can change the subject combinations later (usually within a couple of weeks) if it doesn't work out. Do you have a rough idea of what you want to do later in life? Doesn't matter if you don't. Also, think about what subjects you enjoy/interested in - this may help you to decide what subjects to study at A-Level.
Ahh it is so hard not to stress haha!
Thank you so much. I will try my best.
notinvolved19
Rep:
?
(Original post by nzy)
1. What do you want to do in the future?
2. What do/will you enjoy?
3. What are you good at?
not necessarily in that order
Thank you so much for this!!! I will use that to help me in making my decisions.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by notinvolved19)
Ahh it is so hard not to stress haha!
Thank you so much. I will try my best.
Aha, it's easier said than done tbh. You're very welcome!
notinvolved19
Rep:
?
(Original post by AstaYunoo)
For me it was first
Do I have the grades to apply?
Will the subject interest me in 5 years time?
Are there enough resources available to excel within these subjects?
You really need to choose subjects you know will give you progression and one you can improve upon with practice as unlike GCSE's, an Alevel is a complete new start and background knowledge is hardly helpful (most are relearnt) so you need the will power to take it forwards for 2 years
Hi,
Haha do I have the grades?! Have I even stopped to think about that ahh!!
Thank you so much for these suggestions, they are really helpful and will give me a lot to think about.

Thanks again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (43)
37.07%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (11)
9.48%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.52%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.62%

Watched Threads