hisokaaaa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
How is biomedical science at the university of Aston? What do you enjoy about it and dislike? Anyone else applying for this course at 2021? Is it easy to make friends on this type of course
Lucky10
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by hisokaaaa)
How is biomedical science at the university of Aston? What do you enjoy about it and dislike? Anyone else applying for this course at 2021? Is it easy to make friends on this type of course
I have a few friends who go Aston, the Student Union is great for meeting new students. As for Bio Med, again you will have a lot of interactions when it comes to practicals etc.
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi there,

I graduated from Biomedical science at Aston University in 2018 and I absolutely loved it. The lecturers are very achieved and pull on their clinical experience and background to give you a multifaceted learning experience. They are also very available and open to helping students academically whenever possible. The course material is very challenging so you always feel like you're getting the most out of each lesson.
My favourite part of the degree was doing my final year lab-based project. I did it somewhat independently under the supervision of a lecturer. Being in the lab in that way and leading my own project gave me a sense of responsibility and a practical avenue to put all my knowledge into practice The Biomedical science degree at Aston has dual accreditation from the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) and Royal Society of Biology (RSB) and has been designed to provide you with the necessary academic requirements to allow you apply to become a registered Biomedical Scientist with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).
It's also relatively easy to make friends because there are a lot of group projects and lab work in the course. The Student Union is also a good way of meeting people, either via the Biological science society or by joining other ones as well.

*Ethel
hisokaaaa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Aston University)
Hi there,

I graduated from Biomedical science at Aston University in 2018 and I absolutely loved it. The lecturers are very achieved and pull on their clinical experience and background to give you a multifaceted learning experience. They are also very available and open to helping students academically whenever possible. The course material is very challenging so you always feel like you're getting the most out of each lesson.
My favourite part of the degree was doing my final year lab-based project. I did it somewhat independently under the supervision of a lecturer. Being in the lab in that way and leading my own project gave me a sense of responsibility and a practical avenue to put all my knowledge into practice The Biomedical science degree at Aston has dual accreditation from the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) and Royal Society of Biology (RSB) and has been designed to provide you with the necessary academic requirements to allow you apply to become a registered Biomedical Scientist with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).
It's also relatively easy to make friends because there are a lot of group projects and lab work in the course. The Student Union is also a good way of meeting people, either via the Biological science society or by joining other ones as well.

*Ethel
thank you for this! Do you know how hard it is to get a placement?
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
thank you for this! Do you know how hard it is to get a placement?
Hi there,

The competitiveness of securing a placement depends on where you're looking to apply to. It tends to be more competitive getting placements in an NHS lab i.e a UKAS accredited CPA hospital laboratory, but Aston's unique dual accreditation helps. You can also undergo placements in an industrial or research laboratory, or in a non-laboratory setting. Students have completed placements in Clinical trial companies, Research institutes, Pharmaceutical companies, Medical sales, Biotechnology companies, and NHS organisations. Alternatively, you can also choose to study abroad.

*Ethel
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.8%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.34%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.66%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.69%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.26%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (42)
5.67%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (80)
10.8%
Financial worries (50)
6.75%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (46)
6.21%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.24%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (71)
9.58%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.69%

Watched Threads