The Student Room Group

Am I in the wrong career?

I work in nursing and although I enjoy some patient contact the times I feel most comfortable are when I’m typing my notes/doing the admin afterwards. I do enjoy it more than patient contact. I think it’s because I can chill a bit with a brew, feel less anxious, less under pressure to think on the spot and I suppose it’s a more solitary task. The thing is Ive always had an interest in the health sciences/ human body.

Its odd as many people in healthcare complain about all the admin they have to do.

I’m wondering if I should have been an admin instead as sometimes I do get a bit envious of them. They seem to talk for long periods in the office to the point where it makes me think that surely their workload isn’t that high.
Original post by Anonymous
I work in nursing and although I enjoy some patient contact the times I feel most comfortable are when I’m typing my notes/doing the admin afterwards. I do enjoy it more than patient contact. I think it’s because I can chill a bit with a brew, feel less anxious, less under pressure to think on the spot and I suppose it’s a more solitary task. The thing is Ive always had an interest in the health sciences/ human body.

Its odd as many people in healthcare complain about all the admin they have to do.

I’m wondering if I should have been an admin instead as sometimes I do get a bit envious of them. They seem to talk for long periods in the office to the point where it makes me think that surely their workload isn’t that high.

Are there any roles that you can transition into that are more admin-heavy? I'm not sure what roles exist, and whether you'd be willing to accept a drop in pay to these roles potentially.
Reply 2
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Are there any roles that you can transition into that are more admin-heavy? I'm not sure what roles exist, and whether you'd be willing to accept a drop in pay to these roles potentially.

I suppose at the moment I get plenty of admin in nursing, but it’s like do I like my job for the wrong reason lol
You should be a admin seems like you are good at it and enjoy it. Admin is incredibly boring and you need to have a convo with others just to prevent from you falling a sleep hence the long talks and banter.
Original post by Anonymous

Have you thought about being a research nurse?
Have you considered studying for a management qualification and looking into nurse management? Ward Managers don't go near patients a lot of the time, as their role is mainly office based managing the team and the ward itself. It just seems a shame to waste your nursing qualification and go into a job where you're not utilising your clinical skills.

Alternatively, there's governance or research roles, which clinicians often go into after a few years of practice.
Reply 6
Perhaps a patient safety role would be more suited for you? I work in admin in NHS, and it's far from boring - my field is legal services.

Good luck with what you choose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending