nathaniaaaaaaaaa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I'm choosing my 6 IB options - 3 at HL and SL. And I need help choosing which ones to do at what level
Maths is compulsory - doing that at SL because I'm not a maths person.
A science is compulsory - I chose ESS. doing that at SL because science really isn't my thing and I'm trying to do as little of it.
My group 3 is Psychology - only available at HL at my school.

Group 1 - Doing English Lit - idk whether to do it at SL or HL. I really enjoy it and I love doing it rn at GCSE. Predicted 9 in Lit 8 in Lang.
Group 2 - I chose spanish - idk whether to do it at SL or HL. I'm pretty good at it at GCSE - predicted an 8/9 and I really enjoy doing it.Need help picking what level
My 2nd Group 3 is either Economics or Philosophy. Predicted a 9 in Rs and got a 9 in my mock. Never done economics before and I don't like maths - but I have done business and im predicted an 8. economics is available at SL and HL. Philosophy is only HL.

someone pls help does anyone have any info? like how easy is English to do at HL? is spanish at HL really that hard? Anything helps, especially anyone willing to private message
IBkidinthecorner
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi there! Personally, if I was you, my subject combinations would be: HL Psychology, Economics and English Lit and SL Maths (I don't know if you're planning to take AA or AI), ESS and Spanish B, although it would depend on what you are planning to study at university. The reasons for my choices are that B languages in my diploma are very demanding and taking Spanish B at higher level would mean that you would have to study Spanish literature. I take French B and find it sufficiently challenging and interesting. English Lit on the other hand is easy to put up to HL as the only additions are an essay on a text and topic of your choice and writing two unfamiliar literary analyses in 2 hours and 15 minutes as opposed to 1 in 90 minutes. I don't know much about philosophy I'm afraid as it not offered at my school, but economics is pretty straightforward, so I would highly recommend that.

I hope this is helpful and please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any further questions.
Last edited by IBkidinthecorner; 6 months ago
nathaniaaaaaaaaa
Rep:
?
thank you so much for your help! for maths id be studying AI at SL. and also i'm aware id have to study spanish literature and I find the idea quite interesting. id be willing to work hard as its something I genuinely enjoy. but with economics, i'm afraid taking it at HL would mean a lot of maths. even though i'm not terrible at it, its definitely something I have no interest in whatsoever so that could make it quite challenging :/

so im thinking
HL: eng, spanish, psych (all subjects im really interested in and could possibly do a degree in)
SL: maths ai, ess, econ
IBkidinthecorner
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by nathaniaaaaaaaaa)
thank you so much for your help! for maths id be studying AI at SL. and also i'm aware id have to study spanish literature and I find the idea quite interesting. id be willing to work hard as its something I genuinely enjoy. but with economics, i'm afraid taking it at HL would mean a lot of maths. even though i'm not terrible at it, its definitely something I have no interest in whatsoever so that could make it quite challenging :/

so im thinking
HL: eng, spanish, psych (all subjects im really interested in and could possibly do a degree in)
It's good that all your HL subjects are possible degree options. To me, it sounds as though you are pretty confident in what subjects you want to take, so I say go for it! All the best
crstnak
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by nathaniaaaaaaaaa)

so im thinking
Hey! The econ syllabus just changed this year (2022 exams will be the first in the new syllabus) and there is a LOT less math, according to my econ teach. Also, maybe take in mind what you are going to study for college and the college u want to apply for? There are some colleges that prefer some subjects over others, or completely exclude applicants taking certain subjects at their HLs. I personally don't recommend taking two languages at HL because college app is a bit tougher that way, but ofc if you are planning on a degree in one of those languages, it should be ok! My recommendation would be HL: eng, psych, econ, just to keep doors open if you change your mind on what to study in the future! (fyi my IB choices are: HL: Eng lan&lit/Econ (haven't decided since we only have to decide on our second IB year), Psych, Math AA and SL: ESS, Spanish AB, Econ/Eng and the compulsory TOK. I'm planning on studying law, so both econ and eng would work as an HL). Also, spanish B is apparently quite hard! I took 2 years of Spanish and speak Portuguese (similar to span quite fluently) but I'm still not confident in it since EVERYONE in the B class is hispanic :'). But if you really enjoy it, definitely take it!
IBkidinthecorner
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by crstnak)
Hey! The econ syllabus just changed this year (2022 exams will be the first in the new syllabus) and there is a LOT less math, according to my econ teach. Also, maybe take in mind what you are going to study for college and the college u want to apply for? There are some colleges that prefer some subjects over others, or completely exclude applicants taking certain subjects at their HLs. I personally don't recommend taking two languages at HL because college app is a bit tougher that way, but ofc if you are planning on a degree in one of those languages, it should be ok! My recommendation would be HL: eng, psych, econ, just to keep doors open if you change your mind on what to study in the future! (fyi my IB choices are: HL: Eng lan&lit/Econ (haven't decided since we only have to decide on our second IB year), Psych, Math AA and SL: ESS, Spanish AB, Econ/Eng and the compulsory TOK. I'm planning on studying law, so both econ and eng would work as an HL). Also, spanish B is apparently quite hard! I took 2 years of Spanish and speak Portuguese (similar to span quite fluently) but I'm still not confident in it since EVERYONE in the B class is hispanic :'). But if you really enjoy it, definitely take it!
Oh yes, I'd forgotten about the syllabus change! I think my econ teacher mentioned that HL would have less maths next year as well. Fyi so far there's been barely any maths in SL although I haven't finished the syllabus yet. In my French B class at school pretty much everyone but me and one other girl are fluent so Spanish B HL might be a challenge. How strict is your school about changing HL and SL options, as perhaps you could start off in Spanish B HL and see how you go. You might also get a clearer idea of what you want to study at university, and it might be advantageous to alter your subject options a bit then as well.
nathaniaaaaaaaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by crstnak)
hey! thanks so much. ive been doing some reading on the new syllabus and it sounds a lot easier math-wise. id just have to do more research on Englit vs Spanish at HL. just deciding whether doing spanish at SL would reduce my chances of being able to do it as a double degree, alongside psych. but thanks so much again this really helped!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed