Turn on thread page Beta

Predicted Grades (A2 students) watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my A2s this year, and today my form tutor showed me her reference for my UCAS application, which I thought was really good and I'm happy with it.

However, above the reference she had written me were my predicted grades, and they were ABB.
    Considering I recently got AAB in my AS results I think my predicted grades are under-estimating my potential.

My subjects are Government & Politics, English Language & Literature and Geography. My predicted grades are ABB respectively.

For uni I need to get AAB for some of the universities I'm applying to and I know deep down I can get AAB at least, in fact I was aiming for 3As and was hoping I could be predicted AAA!!

Does anyone know how lenient teachers are regarding predicted grades?
    I'm especially p***ed off at my Geography prediction as since GCSE for every exam I've sat I've got an A :mad:

Would be interested to hear anyone's thoughts!

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    That's lame of your teacher.
    They aren't allowed to show you your reference btw so I guess it kinda makes up for it! lol, just promise her you'll work hard etc, and she'll raise them maybe?

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the school/teacher.

I know that quite a few people at my school have managed to persuade teachers to change their predicted grades from a B to an A, so its not impossible.

I think you should talk to your geography teacher, ask them why you got predicted a B etc..., i don't think you should have been predicted a B if you have A's for every exam

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Tell him to make it an A?

Just say you need it for your uni applications, they should do it.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes people at our school get a C at AS level and get predicted an A at A2, but its usually the people who teachers know have the potential. (which im sure you do)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies so far!

What makes it worse is that my mate got exactly the same mark (UMS) as me in Geography for AS and yet he got predicted an A!

We both got 242/300 which is just 2 marks into an A - my coursework was a C grade but I got 85/100 and then 90/100 for the other 2 AS modules which were exams.

I spoke to one of my Geography teachers today and she said that because last year for AS I had a different teacher, they gave the predictions so hopefully I can persuade them to raise it for me!

For my AS I was predicted a C :confused: and got an A as I said - I'm beginning to think I'm not liked by my teachers :p:

ReputationRep:
    BTW... can predicted grades be changed after january resits? or after they have been submitted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1R4J)
    BTW... can predicted grades be changed after january resits? or after they have been submitted?
    No once your application has gone to UCAS it can't be changed.

ReputationRep:
    that sucks! My psychology teacher basiclaly said shed predicted anyone what they wanted (within reason) as shed feel better if we got an offer but her predicted grade was wrong rather than her under estimating us so we dont get an offer

However its unfair when you're predicted a grade lower when you see people getting AAB predictions when they only got BBC

ReputationRep:
    You demonstrate a clear lack of understanding of the pressures teachers may be under.

It can depend on the school ( independents are not so pressured) but for most of us it works as follows

a) your GCSE results will have been munched and crunched through ALIS or FFT or some similar LSC data ( thats government data bases) to provide us with some kind of expected grade/ prediction for you at AS and A level.
    Most teachers will despite any AS performance use this to make UCAS predictions because if you dont get that grade we are in trouble. If you do better, we are not in trouble, if you do worse, we are joining the dole queue ( no joke there)

b) If we are not using ALIS or similar then it is more prudent to grade a student one grade lower than one grade higher. I will be ********* ( pardon the language) by the HT if you do not perform to my higher prediction. I will not get so B****** if you do better than my prediction.

Sometimes because most of you young people are so arrogant and argumentative, it is a line of less resistance to get ear ache from the HT than from you! So a teacher might change a grade ( and it would be under duress whether you think it or not) .

It is very likely at A level that unless you are a very strong candidate that you will end up one grade lower at A2 than your AS mark. Thats another reason for a lower prediction.

Hope that helps you see how the other half lives.

ReputationRep:
    what kind of teacher are you anyway if you spend your time on an internet forum for students....

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your insight ^^

It gets to me personally, that as I am a quiet person who tends to get on with my work rather than contribute to discussions in class that my teachers can predict me lower! Its happened at GCSE and its happening now at A-level - well at least thats how I'm interpreting it.
    I'm not going to change my personality just to get higher grades - why should I? If I do well in the exams then I get the grades and the teachers should recognise and appreciate the potential a student has.

I got an E for my first module of English and then re-sat it and got a B in June for AS. If anything I was thinking I would get predicted a C for my overall A-level but I have been predicted a B.

It doesn't really make sense to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sampshogg)
    what kind of teacher are you anyway if you spend your time on an internet forum for students....

I am the kind of teacher who knows that one of her students has obtained some coursework in this " Student Room" and has handed it in as his own and I am not very happy with that kind of cheating. However, I need to prove my case and so I need to find the work amongst the myriad of posts and information here.

I have in fact now found the posts this student placed here. I have not yet sourced his coursework ( which was a grade A and I think was passed from a student in this place. Do you condone that?)

I am the kind of teacher who does not like being lied to. I am the kind of teacher who dislikes students cheating.

I am the kind of teacher who should not be under estimated. I know how to use a computer and how to access these fora.

I am the kind of teacher who is actually somewhat tired of people who would ask the question you have. There is no law or rule in " The Student Room" which prevents me posting here as a teacher. When I signed in the form asked what I did. I put down teacher.

I am the kind of teacher, who I have finished sorting out my errant student will actually stop posting.

What kind of student are you that you have to question a teacher reading or posting here?

ReputationRep:
    fair enough.....

ReputationRep:
    i got ABB in my AS's and i managed to persuade my teacher to predict an A in one of them!
    turns out i got AAB in the end, so had i not been predicted that, i might not have even got an offer from the uni i wanted!
    so its worth trying your hardest to get predicted the grades you want! that seems a bit stingy of your teachers to do that

Ask your Head of Year rather than individual teachers.
    The teachers have nothing to lose, so..
    x

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sampshogg)
    haha you just got owned by what sounds like a grumpy middle-aged woman /man? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    haha you just got owned by what sounds like a grumpy middle-aged woman /man? :p:
    lol i no, it still hurts :p:

ReputationRep:
    Have a quiet word with your teachers. Bring them cake, they all like cake

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.