ananyag_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey there guys!!
I have My GCSE mocks starting from 1st week of January. Everything else is going well except for maths. Can you suggest some ways to effectively study maths?
superbo9y
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ananyag_)
Hey there guys!!
I have My GCSE mocks starting from 1st week of January. Everything else is going well except for maths. Can you suggest some ways to effectively study maths?
Exam Board?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey there guys!!
Try these: https://www.missbsresources.com/teac...mathspassports
Smouncher
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
TL Maths on YouTube is great!
Also just doing past paper questions if you can get hold of any. If possible buy a textbook or workbook with questions in for you to practise.
Try explaining things out loud after you revise it, to help consolidate and check you understand it.
superbo9y
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by superbo9y)
Exam Board?
do a past paper. See how well you do - then revise the topics you struggled with. (if u have paper 1 do it , if u have a paper 2 ,ect)
https://www.examsolutions.net/gcse-maths/

has EVERYTHING you need
have a look.
Hey there guys!!
ananyag_
Rep:
?
do a past paper. See how well you do - then revise the topics you struggled with. (if u have paper 1 do it , if u have a paper 2 ,ect)
https://www.examsolutions.net/gcse-maths/

has EVERYTHING you need
have a look.
Thank you so much🙂
ananyag_
Rep:
?
Exam Board?
AQA
AliceKS
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey there guys!!
Maths is all about having a tool box of skills and applying those skills. Make sure you are confident in using your skills eg. questions from a textbook and then use past papers to practise recognising which skills you need to use for which question. Once you can recognise what the question wants you to do then you'll be fine. I know I struggled a lot with recognising what the question wanted me to do at Further Maths as the questions won't be "This is a question on shapes", it will use more than one skill like quadratics and simultaneous equations and circle theorems.
ananyag_
Rep:
?
(Original post by AliceKS)
Maths is all about having a tool box of skills and applying those skills. Make sure you are confident in using your skills eg. questions from a textbook and then use past papers to practise recognising which skills you need to use for which question. Once you can recognise what the question wants you to do then you'll be fine. I know I struggled a lot with recognising what the question wanted me to do at Further Maths as the questions won't be "This is a question on shapes", it will use more than one skill like quadratics and simultaneous equations and circle theorems.
Thank you so much!
I have practiced quite a lot if questions from textbooks. Do you think I should start solving past papers?
vidi2020
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey I went from a G (lowest grade) to B in just 3 months and it all i did was 1 month everyday revised for 2hrs (this was during summer i had a tutor) but i rlly did not need a tutor i was just unmotivated and procrastinating. Basically learn all the basic like the number and algebra chapter bcos that’s what helped me as i didn’t even know the basics. Learn Number and Algebra and everything else will work out. If you need help pm me and i’ll help- imdoing alevel maths now
ALSO ALSO PAST PAPERS ARE KEY!! normally questions are repeated!!
Last edited by vidi2020; 1 month ago
CamTreas
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey there guys!!
I do A-level maths now, this is how I did my GCSE.

Get a past paper, with asses to a mask scheme

Do the past paper with out help from the mask scheme, then mark it your self and highlight part that you are struggling with.

after you have found out what you need to work on, watch some videos on it and try a similar question.

Note: don't stop doing the parts of maths you are good at or you could lose your progress, try and do question with lots of the parts to it.

Good luck.
ananyag_
Rep:
?
(Original post by CamTreas)
I do A-level maths now, this is how I did my GCSE.

Get a past paper, with asses to a mask scheme

Do the past paper with out help from the mask scheme, then mark it your self and highlight part that you are struggling with.

after you have found out what you need to work on, watch some videos on it and try a similar question.

Note: don't stop doing the parts of maths you are good at or you could lose your progress, try and do question with lots of the parts to it.

Good luck.
Thanks! I really appreciate it
This will help a lot.🙂🙂
XxRammiyaJxX
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi ananyag_,One way to effectively revise maths is to print out topic tests (for topics that you struggle with), past papers and the answer sheet.Start with the topic tests, work through each question until you understand the basic concept of it. If you still struggle to understand, go to Hegarty maths topic (that you need help on) on youtube and relearn it.After feeling confident (to an extent), start the past papers. Do all the necessary working out, change the pen colour and then mark it according to the mark scheme. If you still do not understand the question type, go back and watch the video and do more questions.Don't worry at first the overall mark may be quite low but as you do it more and more, your grade will get better.I've done this since the beginning of year 10 and I can guarantee this works. Don't worry @ananyag_, you can do it! <3XXXRammiya(P.S. if you want more help DM me on IG @XxRammiyaJxX )
ananyag_
Rep:
?
(Original post by XxRammiyaJxX)
Hi ananyag_,One way to effectively revise maths is to print out topic tests (for topics that you struggle with), past papers and the answer sheet.Start with the topic tests, work through each question until you understand the basic concept of it. If you still struggle to understand, go to Hegarty maths topic (that you need help on) on youtube and relearn it.After feeling confident (to an extent), start the past papers. Do all the necessary working out, change the pen colour and then mark it according to the mark scheme. If you still do not understand the question type, go back and watch the video and do more questions.Don't worry at first the overall mark may be quite low but as you do it more and more, your grade will get better.I've done this since the beginning of year 10 and I can guarantee this works. Don't worry @ananyag_, you can do it! <3XXXRammiya(P.S. if you want more help DM me on IG @XxRammiyaJxX )
Thank you so much!!!
ananyag_
Rep:
?
(Original post by XxRammiyaJxX)
I cant find your IG.. is it @xxrammiya_jxx ?
ariannaxxs
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey there guys!!
hi! i’m in exactly the same place- doing gcse maths with my mocks starting in january 😱! one thing that’s been helpful for me is doing a practice paper and making a list of topics that i’ve lost the most marks in. I then look back over my notes and use a cgp workbook to do questions just on those topics. once i’ve done this once or twice i usually feel quite confident with any topics that could come up.
hope this helps and good luck x
XxRammiyaJxX
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s XxRammiya_JxX
XxRammiyaJxX
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yea
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (247)
51.14%
No (236)
48.86%

Watched Threads