The Student Room Group

panicking about life/ university/ my future

so here's a sort of brief summary of my life the past year:

I never really knew what I wanted to do at uni. my mum really wanted me to do medicine and she begged me to do medicine, but I never wanted to. I decided to apply for veterinary medicine because I love animals but I didn't get any offers. Bristol uni gave me an alternative offer for biochemistry, and even though I wasn't keen on the subject I accepted anyway cause its a good uni and its better than nothing. fast forward to results day, I get accepted into Bristol for biochem but my parents beg me to stay in London and so I do because I feel bad for them, so I apply for biomedical science to a London uni using clearing. I really don't like my uni or the course and I also feel like I'm missing out on a lot by staying at home for uni while everyone else has moved away and is having the time of their lives. I want to go to a better uni so have applied for biological science at a bunch of other unis including Bristol, which I got an offer for from biology, but I really don't think the course is right for me, but I don't know what else I would have applied for. also none of the career paths for biomedical or biological science appeal to me at all, and I just don't enjoy the subject. I have been having panic attacks every morning when I wake up about my future job prospects, I want to have a good job that can give me a good life but I don't see how a biology degree can give me that. I feel like I'm devoting 3 years of my life to a subject I don't really enjoy and I'm constantly stressing about my future. I also feel like these years are meant to be the best years of my life as they're my last years of being a teenager and I'm not enjoying university at all, unlike everyone else I know who seems to be loving it. I really don't know what degree I want to study, I would love to go to a US university since their courses seem to be a lot more broad and flexible and you can change your major throughout the course, but they're insanely expensive

this has been a long post but to kinda summarise my main points/ what I'm worried about;

1. I don't like my university, want to go to a better university. parents convinced me to stay in London.
2. don't like my course, but don't know what else to do. would love to go to a US university but too expensive
3. panicking about future job prospects. not interested in a job in biological/ biomedical field and want a job that pays well
4. university has been the worst time of my life but everyone else says its the best time. I feel like I should be having fun like everyone else. been finding it hard to make friends and spend most of my time at home crying
5. these are my last years of being a teenager and I feel like I should be having the time of my life but I feel constantly stressed/ anxious and depressed. I haven't felt happy since university started
6. feel like I'm disappointing parents. mums dream was for me to do medicine (and she still believes one day I will, by doing graduate entry medicine) all I want is to make her proud
Reading through this I notice you seem to be doing thing make other people happy. Your Mum tells you she'd like you to do medicine, so you compromise and end up doing biomedical sciences. Your Mum wants you to stay in London, so you go to a uni in London that isn't anywhere near as good as Bristol. One rule for life that you need to learn is that you can't make decisions based on what makes other people happy. If Mum likes medicine so much than she should go to uni and study medicine herself. From what I've heard medicine is one of the most demanding courses you can do, so if you don't feel passionately about it than it'll be pretty rubbish to end up studying it and end up doing not as well as you could have done studying something else.

If you're going to study something for three years (and possibly more if you want to do postgrad studies) it's best that you study something you enjoy. Pay less attention to job prospects because you're not going to be successful in your career doing something you hate; if you're going to be successful you need to be able to motivate yourself to work hard and show others that you're passionate. I hate that people are so fixated on the end result: where they'll be after they finish their studies, etc. when they should be focusing more on the subject they're studying. There is nothing wrong with going to uni simply for the subject itself. You're also really young, you have many years to build a career for yourself, so don't stress about it.

Also, a big part of uni is going away and learning to be self-reliant. In our society it's almost the equivalent to a coming-of-age ceremony, and reading this, I think it might be helpful for you to actually get away from your parents for some time and start building your own confidence.

If I were you I would have a sincere talk with your parents about how you feel, what their expectations of you are doing to you emotionally. I would also look into what you want to do and where you want to study. If your parents care - which deep down they do - they'll realise that you want to do things that diverge from what they want you to do and that you have clear reasons for wanting to do them. Then start working out the practicalities of starting that course, etc.
Agree with the poster above, but I think it would help also if you can think about what you would really like to do, rather than just doing something someone suggested to you.
Reply 3
Original post by Squadron14
Reading through this I notice you seem to be doing thing make other people happy. Your Mum tells you she'd like you to do medicine, so you compromise and end up doing biomedical sciences. Your Mum wants you to stay in London, so you go to a uni in London that isn't anywhere near as good as Bristol. One rule for life that you need to learn is that you can't make decisions based on what makes other people happy. If Mum likes medicine so much than she should go to uni and study medicine herself. From what I've heard medicine is one of the most demanding courses you can do, so if you don't feel passionately about it than it'll be pretty rubbish to end up studying it and end up doing not as well as you could have done studying something else.

If you're going to study something for three years (and possibly more if you want to do postgrad studies) it's best that you study something you enjoy. Pay less attention to job prospects because you're not going to be successful in your career doing something you hate; if you're going to be successful you need to be able to motivate yourself to work hard and show others that you're passionate. I hate that people are so fixated on the end result: where they'll be after they finish their studies, etc. when they should be focusing more on the subject they're studying. There is nothing wrong with going to uni simply for the subject itself. You're also really young, you have many years to build a career for yourself, so don't stress about it.

Also, a big part of uni is going away and learning to be self-reliant. In our society it's almost the equivalent to a coming-of-age ceremony, and reading this, I think it might be helpful for you to actually get away from your parents for some time and start building your own confidence.

If I were you I would have a sincere talk with your parents about how you feel, what their expectations of you are doing to you emotionally. I would also look into what you want to do and where you want to study. If your parents care - which deep down they do - they'll realise that you want to do things that diverge from what they want you to do and that you have clear reasons for wanting to do them. Then start working out the practicalities of starting that course, etc.

but the thing is I really don't know what I want to do. I thought I liked biology so I applied for biology at Bristol and I have an offer there to start in September, but since I started uni I realised I actually don't like biology and now Im doubting if I ever really liked biology in the first place. I just really don't know what I want to study. I have looked at architecture but they require a portfolio which I don't have and I'm not sure if I would want to do architecture anyway. I just don't really have a passion about anything

Quick Reply

Latest