The Student Room Group

Singapore applicant to UK help

Hello guys I am from singapore and I am looking for some help regarding admissions to UK univerisities. I took 2 qualifying exams namely the Singapore-Cambridge GCE 'O' and 'A' Levels and I am applying to UK universities. However, I am not sure how the Univerisities will use my grades.

These are my grades :
'O' Levels :
English : A1
Combined Humanities (Geography) : A1
Chemistry : A1
Physics : A1
Economics : A1
Math : A1
Additional Math : A1
Chinese : B3

'A' Level :
H1 General Paper : A
H1 Chinese : D
H1 Project work : B ( non academic subject )

H2 Chemistry : A
H2 Physics : A
H2 Math : A
H2 Economics : B

I applied to the following universities to read PPE.

Oxford (interview) , LSE, UCL, Kings, Leeds (offer)

According to what i read, the typical offer for Singaporeans is AAA at H2 level ( there are no A*s in our grading system) . I have already hit the grades required but i have a few queries

1. Will my B in Economics affect me even though it is an 'extra' A level. In my school i was always top 10% once i even reached the top highest scorer in my school, i was quite bummed out i got a B. I asked my academic refree to write this in, but will it affect my application?

2. In UK A levels there is no equivalent of H1 subjects, will a B in project work and D in chinese a non academic subject affect my chances of entry?

3. I think 'O' Levels are kind of the equivalent of GSCE. How will they look at my 'O' Levels in context? I was from a mid tier school and I was the second-highest scorer (maybe third but i forgot)

4. Apparently Singapore A and O levels are harder than that of the UK counterparts ( I am not to sure about this but what i just saw online). But if it is true will univerisites take this into consideration too?

Thanks!
Original post by howcanidowell
Hello guys I am from singapore and I am looking for some help regarding admissions to UK univerisities. I took 2 qualifying exams namely the Singapore-Cambridge GCE 'O' and 'A' Levels and I am applying to UK universities. However, I am not sure how the Univerisities will use my grades.

These are my grades :
'O' Levels :

'A' Level :

According to what i read, the typical offer for Singaporeans is AAA at H2 level ( there are no A*s in our grading system) . I have already hit the grades required but i have a few queries

1. Will my B in Economics affect me even though it is an 'extra' A level. In my school i was always top 10% once i even reached the top highest scorer in my school, i was quite bummed out i got a B. I asked my academic refree to write this in, but will it affect my application?

2. In UK A levels there is no equivalent of H1 subjects, will a B in project work and D in chinese a non academic subject affect my chances of entry?

3. I think 'O' Levels are kind of the equivalent of GSCE. How will they look at my 'O' Levels in context? I was from a mid tier school and I was the second-highest scorer (maybe third but i forgot)

4. Apparently Singapore A and O levels are harder than that of the UK counterparts ( I am not to sure about this but what i just saw online). But if it is true will univerisites take this into consideration too?

Thanks!

I dont know how the Singapore exams work so cannot really answer your query but Oxford and LSE in particular are very competitive and difficult to get into. UCL and Kings are also competitive but less so than Oxford and LSE.
If you already have your results, you should be able to negotiate entry into any particular university that you like.

It sounds like you are doing the whole UCAS apply 5, wait, offer, wait etc [whilst UCAS works, it is partly designed for ‘local’ students who don’t yet have their final results]

there are other routes , here from Brighton (a bit lower in mystic prestige than your list)
Full-time undergraduate degree courses
For most full-time undergraduate degrees you should apply to UCAS. However, if you already know that you want to study at Brighton, and do not intend to apply to other institutions then you should apply direct to us using our online application system

and similar from Oxford Brookes International students, For September entry, applications can either be made directly to the University or through UCAS. For January entry, you will need to make a direct application to the University

But you’ve chosen the UCAS route which is fine! I’m sure you’ll get offers & mutually be satisfied.
If you don’t get offers, then feel free to phone up a single university at a time, Nottingham, Manchester etc and ask them about using the 'record of prior acceptance' as part of Clearing (in June/July/August 2021, for last minute start in September/October 2021)
Reply 3
Hello,
I am from unibersiry of southampton and usually the best way us to email the graduate school.
Original post by howcanidowell

These are my grades :
'O' Levels :

'A' Level :

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending