The Student Room Group

Can I become a primary school teacher/teaching assistant with only GCSE grades?

I passed all of my GCSEs with grades ranging from 9-5. I’m really not enjoying my current A Levels (performing arts, English lit and psychology) at ALL. They really bring me down and I fear my mental health will continue to plummet as I progress with the courses ( I am almost halfway through year 12). I was wondering if there was a way for me to become a primary school teacher without the A Levels at all. Any advice would be appreciated.
Could you retake Y12 with different subjects?

EDIT: I think you need an undergrad degree (which would require alevels or equiv) to do either a PGCE or a QTS to become a teacher - not sure about teaching assistant though
(edited 3 years ago)
I think you could become a teaching assistant - my mum worked as a voluntary TA for a while, and then went on to self-teach her teaching qualifications, which I don't think required her to have taken A-Levels or anything (bear in mind she does have both A-Levels and a degree but I don't believe it was relevant). However, I think it would be harder to get onto a full-on teaching course without A-Levels.
Reply 3
Teacher probably requires some form of uni education, but you basically just need GCSE maths and English passes (and sometimes science) to become a grade 1 TA.
Hi All,

The entry requirements for any teacher training course is that you have a degree and GCSE's in Eng/Maths for secondary level teaching and science also for primary at level 4/C or above, if you do not have the required GCSEs, you’ll need to show that you have an equivalent level of education. On an individual level Schools and Universities may add additional entry criteria, but it's very often flexible, particularly if they notice your potential of being an outstanding teacher.

Hope this helps
Olivia
I’m a primary school teacher and I didn’t do A levels. I did a BTEC in childhood studies which set me up well for when I did my PGCE. I have a degree in fine art. It took me ages to be able to train as I didn’t have GCSE maths, those GCSES are much more important that the A levels would be.
(edited 3 years ago)
If A-Levels aren't doing it for you, like the above poster has said, you can access uni by doing a BTEC course in a childhood studies, education & childcare area. Health and social care is also acceptable.
Reply 7
Original post by Claudette
I’m a primary school teacher and I didn’t do A levels. I did a BTEC in childhood studies which set me up well for when I did my PGCE. I have a degree in fine art. It took me ages to be able to train as I didn’t have GCSE maths, those GCSES are much more important that the A levels would be.

Hi Claudette, I have finished my level 3 diploma in childcare and working with children form the last five years. I would like to get into teaching. I don't have GCSC or A levels. What I have to do next If I want to be a primary teacher?
Original post by Savita23
Hi Claudette, I have finished my level 3 diploma in childcare and working with children form the last five years. I would like to get into teaching. I don't have GCSC or A levels. What I have to do next If I want to be a primary teacher?

You would need GCSEs at 4 or above in maths, English and science and a degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending