PaulG101
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I am currently in the process of applying for engineering degrees but am a bit of a cross road and looking for opinions from people who have experience in these universities or degrees.

Right now I am very interested in working in the aerospace industry with companies like Skyrora expanding in Scotland. I have put down Glasgow's Aeronautical Engineering as a choice. I have also put down Mechanical in various locations and Strathclyde's Engineering Academy. My access course does not allow entry straight to Strathclyde, and even after the academy, it does not allow access to their Aero-Mechanical degree due to the high number of applicants. This means the only option for me would be Mechanical.

I am certain that I would like to work in the aerospace industry, however, I don't want to limit my options if I were to change my mind later on. I have read that aero engineers can still work in a wide range of industries due to it being an offshoot of mechanical. Can anyone back this up?

Has anyone here attended Glasgow's Aeronautical degree? Is Strathclyde as good as people make it out to be? If Strathclyde is significantly better at engineering then it may be an idea to aim for their mechanical degree rather than Glasgow's Aero degree.

How do Glasgow and Strathclyde compare for engineering? I am not interested in rankings. I am after opinions from people who have experienced these universities first hand.

Unfortunately due to the pandemic, I never had the opportunity to go have a look at the universities in person which is not making it any easier.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Glasgow is better, Strath's Mech and Aero department is a travesty, they're genuinely the least skilled students I've supervised.

In terms of location, Glasgow uni is nicer and more cosmopolitan but more expensive and less convenient, whereas Strathclyde is right in the middle of the city and in walking distance of cheaper student areas and the two main train stations.

Aero grads can work in most mechanical careers, yes, and vice versa. Aero grads will receive some preference for aero jobs whilst mech grads may be better suited for some mech jobs if they have studied a specific area of MechE which was pushed aside in your aero degree to make room for more aero content.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
Glasgow is better, Strath's Mech and Aero department is a travesty, they're genuinely the least skilled students I've supervised.
What are you basing this on? Strathclyde is generally considered to have one of the best departments in Scotland and their graduates are well sought after, and do very well in industry.
Helloworld_95
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Smack)
What are you basing this on? Strathclyde is generally considered to have one of the best departments in Scotland and their graduates are well sought after, and do very well in industry.
Attending Strathclyde as a PhD student in their MAE department and supervising final year BEng and MEng students in the process of that.
PaulG101
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
Attending Strathclyde as a PhD student in their MAE department and supervising final year BEng and MEng students in the process of that.
Would you say that's down to the students or the university?
Helloworld_95
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by PaulG101)
Would you say that's down to the students or the university?
Not quite the university but the department specifically, there are severe institutional issues within the department which the faculty allows to continue because the changes needed to fix it risks the department disintegrating pretty much overnight. To clarify, other departments at Strathclyde didn't have this problem, it was specific to MAE.

I can't see any reason why the incoming students would be the issue, but by the end of the end of their degrees they acted like they deserved firsts for work which would have easily failed at universities that my colleagues and I had worked at before. They failed to learn basic skills without constant spoon feeding, which is not something that final year university students should need.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I’m worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (11)
39.29%
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (4)
14.29%
I’m worried it will impact my future career (2)
7.14%
I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (6)
21.43%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (2)
7.14%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (3)
10.71%

Watched Threads