The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Glasgow vs Stratchlyde/Aeronautical vs Mechanical

I am currently in the process of applying for engineering degrees but am a bit of a cross road and looking for opinions from people who have experience in these universities or degrees.

Right now I am very interested in working in the aerospace industry with companies like Skyrora expanding in Scotland. I have put down Glasgow's Aeronautical Engineering as a choice. I have also put down Mechanical in various locations and Strathclyde's Engineering Academy. My access course does not allow entry straight to Strathclyde, and even after the academy, it does not allow access to their Aero-Mechanical degree due to the high number of applicants. This means the only option for me would be Mechanical.

I am certain that I would like to work in the aerospace industry, however, I don't want to limit my options if I were to change my mind later on. I have read that aero engineers can still work in a wide range of industries due to it being an offshoot of mechanical. Can anyone back this up?

Has anyone here attended Glasgow's Aeronautical degree? Is Strathclyde as good as people make it out to be? If Strathclyde is significantly better at engineering then it may be an idea to aim for their mechanical degree rather than Glasgow's Aero degree.

How do Glasgow and Strathclyde compare for engineering? I am not interested in rankings. I am after opinions from people who have experienced these universities first hand.

Unfortunately due to the pandemic, I never had the opportunity to go have a look at the universities in person which is not making it any easier.
I’m also in a similar situation as you and was hoping for a reply lol. Seeing as no ones said anything yet I’ll try and be helpful.

I’m applying for Mechanical engineering at various universities next year. I’m also not 100% sure what industry id like to go into. But i know that a mechanical engineering degree will be the best one for me in case I do want to try something new. Ideally I’d want to go into automotive but aerospace would be option B if it didn’t work out. As for an Aerospace engineering degree, I’m certain it would still allow you to explore different industries but would be slightly more difficult than having a mech eng degree. Also one of my family members is currently working as an aerospace engineer whilst having a mech engineering degree (just thought I should add that). Sorry I couldn’t give much info abt the unis you mentioned.
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending