The Student Room Group

Changing my GCSEs Option

I've currently just finished my first term of Y10. We had to pick our options earlier this year in March, before we went into lockdown 1. I really want to change food tech to art, because I'm finding it stressful and demotivating. I used to be quite enthusiastic in the subject, but that's clearly changed and my grade has pretty much remained the same as last year. I've always been passionate about art, but due to lack of confidence, I initially chose not to do it and regret it so much. I understand that I will have catching up to do, but due to COVID everyone is quite behind anyways, as we were meant to start our GCSEs in the last term of year 9, but we weren't at school and hence, had to delay it.Luckily, I would have support with art as my friend's mum tutors me with it and quite a few of my friends are doing it to. It also fits in well with my timetable as there is an art class when I have ft. Do you think the school would be fine with it?
Reply 1
Different school have very different policies on if and when you can change. It may also be that the art class is full. All you can do is ask your school.
Original post by doorsandwindows
I've currently just finished my first term of Y10. We had to pick our options earlier this year in March, before we went into lockdown 1. I really want to change food tech to art, because I'm finding it stressful and demotivating. I used to be quite enthusiastic in the subject, but that's clearly changed and my grade has pretty much remained the same as last year. I've always been passionate about art, but due to lack of confidence, I initially chose not to do it and regret it so much. I understand that I will have catching up to do, but due to COVID everyone is quite behind anyways, as we were meant to start our GCSEs in the last term of year 9, but we weren't at school and hence, had to delay it.Luckily, I would have support with art as my friend's mum tutors me with it and quite a few of my friends are doing it to. It also fits in well with my timetable as there is an art class when I have ft. Do you think the school would be fine with it?

GO FOR IT. I started doing Latin GCSE, had a crisis and switched to art. I haven't looked back honestly. You are doing these subjects for the next two years so enjoying them is really important. If you have the drive, you will be able to make up for lost time in terms of work. Do what you are passionate about because you will otherwise be unhappy. Check with your school, because each one has their own policy but if they let you, go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest