....Anonymous...
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I'm not sure whether to stay at Aston uni for Electronic eng with Comp sci, or go to UOB and do EEE. They have let me join straight to 2nd year (UOB), all I need to do is apply via UCAS.
I've read that Aston has better student satisfaction reviews of the course compared to UOB, and like Aston was ahead of UOB on the rankings.
Does it matter which I go to if i have plans of working abroad?
Which is the better uni please, I'm stuck between the two??
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
To begin with, you need to clarify what "UOB" means. There are dozens of UK universities with that naming format, including but not limited to Buckingham, Bournemouth, Birmingham, Bristol, Bath, Bradford, Bolton, etc, etc.

After that the most significant consideration is, do you want to study CS as part of your degree or not? CS is fairly different from electronic engineering, although there is some relation between the two areas the approaches and specific course content will be very different. Remember CS is more than just programming.

Consider also that if you're going to be working internationally, university "prestige" or "brand name" might be a bit more important than it would otherwise be. Generally in the UK, for engineering, it's not a huge matter, but international firms usually might go on brand name a bit more than domestic ones would.
....Anonymous...
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
To begin with, you need to clarify what "UOB" means. There are dozens of UK universities with that naming format, including but not limited to Buckingham, Bournemouth, Birmingham, Bristol, Bath, Bradford, Bolton, etc, etc.

After that the most significant consideration is, do you want to study CS as part of your degree or not? CS is fairly different from electronic engineering, although there is some relation between the two areas the approaches and specific course content will be very different. Remember CS is more than just programming.

Consider also that if you're going to be working internationally, university "prestige" or "brand name" might be a bit more important than it would otherwise be. Generally in the UK, for engineering, it's not a huge matter, but international firms usually might go on brand name a bit more than domestic ones would.
Uni of birmingham...and the CS i enjoyed was the programming, not really bothered about the other stuff...only reason I went for EECS instead of EEE @ Aston was because EECS had more programming in it...now, after UOBham got back to me telling me they would accept me straight onto 2nd year, I am not sure if i should go because UOBham has a better name and is more prestigious, or if i should stay because Aston is equally as good. Does UOBham provide better prospects and future??
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ....Anonymous...)
Uni of birmingham...and the CS i enjoyed was the programming, not really bothered about the other stuff...only reason I went for EECS instead of EEE @ Aston was because EECS had more programming in it...now, after UOBham got back to me telling me they would accept me straight onto 2nd year, I am not sure if i should go because UOBham has a better name and is more prestigious, or if i should stay because Aston is equally as good. Does UOBham provide better prospects and future??
Tbh if you are only interested in the programming element of CS, I would suggest just doing an EE(E) degree (wherever), as you will definitely learn some programming (and potentially quite a bit) in that degree course. You will also have ample scope to develop more programming ability independently in e.g. independent research projects such as your final year project.

I would note that even if you did decide you were more interested in the "rest" of CS, it may be worth noting the Birmingham offers an "intercalated" year of CS for most degrees (possibly including EEE), where you spend one year (not sure if it's between first and second or second and third) based in the CS department studying a full year course in CS. I believe you have to apply for this once you have already started the degree there, so you don't need to decide at the point of applying through UCAS.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (4)
8.16%
I need help researching courses (4)
8.16%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
6.12%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
48.98%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (10)
20.41%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.04%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
6.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed