The Student Room Group
Original post by LoveAmore
It doesn't make sense that swear words are censored while all the crazy **** that's posted on here isn't.
Just an observation.

Take it up with TSR and ask the community team. If its not to your liking then find another forum.
Because they keeping it pg
Original post by LoveAmore
It doesn't make sense that swear words are censored while all the crazy **** that's posted on here isn't.
Just an observation.

TSR, being a student oriented forum, may well be accessed by college/school/university students, and those places of education often have filters that block out any content that they deem to be unsuitable.
Therefore, if the swearing is unfiltered, it would likely get flagged by various IT departments, and the website blocked in places that the owners of the site are targetting (i.e. schools/colleges/universities).

I think that's the main reasoning, but if you're unsure, you can always ask the community team: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/help/ask-the-community-team
We are too young to use that type of vocabulary.
Reply 5
Original post by kkavinaa
Because they keeping it pg

Are they though? Have you seen how many posts there are about some real kinky **** lol
Reply 6
Original post by spotify95
TSR, being a student oriented forum, may well be accessed by college/school/university students, and those places of education often have filters that block out any content that they deem to be unsuitable.
Therefore, if the swearing is unfiltered, it would likely get flagged by various IT departments, and the website blocked in places that the owners of the site are targetting (i.e. schools/colleges/universities).

I think that's the main reasoning, but if you're unsure, you can always ask the community team: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/help/ask-the-community-team

Makes sense
No more Tom **** and Harry.
Spotted **** is also band.
Smoking **** is bad for your health and against TSRs policy.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by spotify95

i never heard any swearing in primary school, but as soon as i stepped into secondary school (year 7) i was introduced to all these new swear words.

you have to be 12 to join TSR.
12 year olds will be hearing swear words at school pretty much daily. It's pointless to try and censor these words when they literally hear it all day long at school......
Reply 9
I'm generally against filters but then again I'm quite a sweary person.
Idgi swear words aren’t allowed but these overly detailed sexual threads are allowed
My guess is it's more about general politeness than child safety.

The site looks less exciting if there's a load of effing and jeffing the first time somebody comes across the site. When disagreements or arguments happen on the site I'd imagine they'd be considerably more unpleasant if both users were able to openly swear too...
Not all of us have the bad manners and lack of vocabulary found in an episode of Mrs Brown's Boys. Some of us have learned some basics of anger management too.

It's also consistent, not the same as some social media which allows bad language, does not do enough or much about hateful or bullying actions, yet has apoplexy at the sight of a female nipple in a picture of a woman breastfeeding or sunbathing.
The official word from TSR is because this website is targeted towards children and young adults - a very mixed age group from roughly 13-25, TSR will be accessed from schools and so to be compliant with filtering guidelines, TSR does all it can reasonably expect to do to stay on the good side of school filtering solutions such as E2BN Protex, NetOp Vision, etc., it's so children using TSR for studying can continue to access it at school.

Further questions on TSR's moderation policy should be directed to the Community Staff, you can ask them a question here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1215

Latest

Trending

Trending