Nathan279
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I want to pursue a career in the Finance industry in the future, but I’m not sure if I should study Accounting and Finance or just Finance. Can someone please tell me if the Finance degree is sufficient or do I need some knowledge in Accounting too? Thank you
ben munyoki
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
am now fourth taking finance and CPA my advice is that,,just pursue CPA and finance and you will thank me later
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by ben munyoki)
am now fourth taking finance and CPA my advice is that,,just pursue CPA and finance and you will thank me later
which country are you in? CPA isnt really a thing in the UK.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Nathan279)
I want to pursue a career in the Finance industry in the future, but I’m not sure if I should study Accounting and Finance or just Finance. Can someone please tell me if the Finance degree is sufficient or do I need some knowledge in Accounting too? Thank you
Which finance courses are you looking at? In the UK we don't really 'do' undergrad finance courses in the same way that they exist in other countries such as the US. I think the LSE course would be an exception to that. Proper finance courses tend to come under the umbrella of financial mathematics.

Also - what do you mean by the finance industry?
SomeWelshGuy123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by ben munyoki)
CPA doesn't exist in the UK, closest is ACCA or ACA, both of which are 3 year courses, usually taken after University and are effectively apprenticeships.
Fehzan Mehdi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Nathan279)
Hi Nathan,

You will be fine taking just finance, you don't have to do accounting and finance. Each degree will have elective modules for you to choose which may include accountancy related modules. This depends on the university you are applying to.

If you are interested in becoming a qualified accountant, you can also go on to the ACA, ACCA, CIMA, and ICAS websites and see whether your degree will give you any exemptions from the respective qualifications. This may help you decide which course to go for, but all in all do what you think you will enjoy most! There isn't a huge difference!

P.S. I'm a chartered accountant and I talk about entry routes into Accountancy and Finance on my YouTube page. My channel is called Fehzan Mehdi. I'd recommend a video called Chartered vs. Management where I provide an insight into the different accounting qualifications you can pursue in the UK.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.99%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.36%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.37%
I'm really nervous (59)
20.27%

Watched Threads