priscillaaa_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, if you are applying for this course, what other courses did you apply for to fill up your UCAS application? I’m struggling to find other courses because only Reading and UCLan offer the undergraduate course. Thanks for the help!!
tbeech00
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi!

I've not studied MPAS, but you could always fill the rest of your applications with courses that could get you on the masters or PGdip physician associate once you complete them? Something that interests you maybe, like biomed, anatomy etc.
Undergrad PA
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by priscillaaa_)
Hi, if you are applying for this course, what other courses did you apply for to fill up your UCAS application? I’m struggling to find other courses because only Reading and UCLan offer the undergraduate course. Thanks for the help!!
Hey, I study MPAS Undergrad at the university of reading and i picked medical science and biomedical science to feel up my course application along with the PA course. How are u finding writing ur personal statement?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think it's fairly typical for those going onto MSc courses in PA Studies to have done an undergrad course in biomedical sciences, or sometimes in other scientifically inclined allied healthcare professions. So those might be worth considering.

Equally, remember that you don't have to use all your options when applying via UCAS, so if you know that you absolutely won't accept any offer other than from the MPAS courses and would rather take a gap year and reapply if unsuccessful (which I don't think is necessarily a bad idea either!) then you can just apply to those two courses and not select any others.
priscillaaa_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Undergrad PA)
Hey, I study MPAS Undergrad at the university of reading and i picked medical science and biomedical science to feel up my course application along with the PA course. How are u finding writing ur personal statement?
Hi!! How are you finding it? What were your predicted grades? I want to put Reading as my first choice.

I’m finding it a bit difficult to write my personal statement because I need to make it a bit general so I can apply for other courses. So far, I haven’t found any other courses that interest me and I would rather do the undergrad PA course instead of wasting 3 years doing a course I don’t want to do to then get onto the postgrad PA course. So I’m still in the mission to find other courses to fill up my application!
ItsGeorgia1911
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey I’m Georgia and I filled my choices with medical science at Reading and Medical Science at anglia Ruskin and Biomed somewhere else I only used 4 of my options including applying for the MPAS PA course. In your personal statement and references I suggest the fact that you want to become a physician associate is included a lot and I just wrote about medical science and becoming a physician associate. I received an offer a week for both medical science and the MPAS PA course at Reading less than a week after submitting my application. I hope this helps!!
priscillaaa_
Rep:
?
(Original post by ItsGeorgia1911)
Hey I’m Georgia and I filled my choices with medical science at Reading and Medical Science at anglia Ruskin and Biomed somewhere else I only used 4 of my options including applying for the MPAS PA course. In your personal statement and references I suggest the fact that you want to become a physician associate is included a lot and I just wrote about medical science and becoming a physician associate. I received an offer a week for both medical science and the MPAS PA course at Reading less than a week after submitting my application. I hope this helps!!
Thanks Georgia!! I just replied to your thread 😂.
ItsGeorgia1911
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks Georgia!! I just replied to your thread 😂.
i saw ☺️ good luck with your applications and I only applied to Reading for the pa course as uclan is a bit too far for me
priscillaaa_
Rep:
?
i saw ☺️ good luck with your applications and I only applied to Reading for the pa course as uclan is a bit too far for me
Same, UCLan is very far from me to so I would rather go Reading but I’m applying for both 😂
adam.malikh1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Not sure if this has been mentioned before but if you've got your heart set on becoming a PA, I'd suggest applying for a life-science/health care course at a university where they offer the two years MSc in PA Studies as well since often (Although, maybe not always) you can get a discount on the total cost of the MSc due to loyalty to the university)

I think Queen Mary University of London offer the discount.

I personally decided to go for Reading because I basically grew up in London and the idea of moving too far makes me uncomfortable, I hear Reading is a good mix of the rural/urban lifestyle.
adam.malikh1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Undergrad PA)
Hey! Would it be alright for me to message you? I've received an offer for the MPAS Undergraduate programme and would really love some information on the course
Mohamme1983
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by adam.malikh1)
Hey! Would it be alright for me to message you? I've received an offer for the MPAS Undergraduate programme and would really love some information on the course
Hi please can I ask what is your predicted grades as I am thinking of applying for the course? Also did you have an interview?
Mohamme1983
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi Georgina, what is your predicted grades? I applied for medicine and had my interview but waiting for a decision. I am considering to apply for this at Reading so just wanted to check before applying. Thanks
ItsGeorgia1911
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Mohamme1983)
Hi Georgina, what is your predicted grades? I applied for medicine and had my interview but waiting for a decision. I am considering to apply for this at Reading so just wanted to check before applying. Thanks
Hi my predicted were ABB but i got an offer for this course for BBC. I hope that helps!
Mohamme1983
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi my predicted were ABB but i got an offer for this course for BBC. I hope that helps!
Thank you, yes that is helpful and I have now also put this as my 5th choice
Undergrad PA
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by adam.malikh1)
Yh sure no problem, sorry on the late reply I will be more active from now on
Undergrad PA
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi!! How are you finding it? What were your predicted grades? I want to put Reading as my first choice.

I’m finding it a bit difficult to write my personal statement because I need to make it a bit general so I can apply for other courses. So far, I haven’t found any other courses that interest me and I would rather do the undergrad PA course instead of wasting 3 years doing a course I don’t want to do to then get onto the postgrad PA course. So I’m still in the mission to find other courses to fill up my application!
Hey, wo sorry on the late reply, do you still need help. If so u could message me privately. I will be more active from now on 🥲
Mohamme1983
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I have received an offer- if I do not get into medicine, this would be my alternative option.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Mohamme1983)
I have received an offer- if I do not get into medicine, this would be my alternative option.
Remember that unless you are giving up on Medicine, you should always take a gap year and reapply to standard undergrad medicine.

Doing this and then graduate entry medicine will mean you'd be spending 8 years (4 years for this course + 4 years for GEM), not to mention that GEM is much much more competitive than standard undergrad med.

And of course, we know that medical schools go into UCAS Extra / Clearing and with an offer for this course you're not eligible for that: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6915438
Mohamme1983
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Remember that unless you are giving up on Medicine, you should always take a gap year and reapply to standard undergrad medicine.

Doing this and then graduate entry medicine will mean you'd be spending 8 years (4 years for this course + 4 years for GEM), not to mention that GEM is much much more competitive than standard undergrad med.

And of course, we know that medical schools go into UCAS Extra / Clearing and with an offer for this course you're not eligible for that: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6915438
Hi Thank you for the information. I am really interested in studying medicine but if I do not get in, I will be studying this degree as this seems very similar to what a doctor do and actually seems like a very good career.

I am aware of the graduate entry and although I am keen to be a doctor, I do not intend to take the path if I’m not successful at this stage. I can spend that time to actually get involved in providing care some other ways rather than just pursuing the career. Things might change in the future but for time being, that is how I feel.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (187)
5.02%
Uncertainty around my education (545)
14.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (417)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (513)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (184)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
5.96%
Loneliness (313)
8.4%
Financial worries (138)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (212)
5.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (333)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (350)
9.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed