taymay61
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I've got a 150 word question.

it states; 'Evaluate the dominance of the biomedical model'.

What would you take this to mean? thank you
Tutor tylaa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
i can help with the question
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
let me see
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I've not studied sociology before but I'll have a go at giving some ideas because why not .
From Wikipedia, the biomedical model talks about the diagnosis on disease to be purely based upon the biological health and condition of the person, eg from a scientific based viewpoint. This in contrast to the biopsychosocial model of disease diagnosis, which is more extensive and considers personal circumstances and personal psychology, as well as the environment where the person lives and works etc.

Much of the dominance of the biological model of disease diagnosis seems historical to me, if you were physically ill, bleeding, had an injury etc then you went to the doctor, but mental health disorders and problems didn't seem that well known or appreciated within communities of doctors until the start of the 20th century. You could consider a power dynamic between the doctor and the patient and the lack of ethnic minorities and those with wider cultural understandings and experiences within medicine until more recent times, or perhaps denial of mental health problems, which are more associated with personal and environmental situations, (stress, anxiety, depression etc) were less understood, or doctor's were obstinate in their ways of medical diagnosis and treatment of disease. We don't really use TCM or traditional plant based medicines in the Western World compared to using ivory, elephant blood or rare flowers to treat certain diseases in Asia.

I'm coming at this from much of a historical angle and point of view, maybe there are some other approaches you can take or if you've studied medical history before you can expand on what I can remember from GCSE history .
Last edited by Ðeggs; 5 months ago
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
One more thing you can talk about the medical view and the social model of disability.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (18)
32.73%
No (37)
67.27%

Watched Threads