username5528068
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I'm planning to study A level sociology and psychology next year. Can anyone give me any insight into any of the 2 courses.
Just anything you think would be useful to know about the subjects

thank you.
Anonymous12311
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Will2807)
I'm planning to study A level sociology and psychology next year. Can anyone give me any insight into any of the 2 courses.
Just anything you think would be useful to know about the subjects

thank you.
I do Sociology AQA and I like it a lot (I'm in yr 13) I haven't done it for GCSE but I chose it for A level lol. Anyways it is a very interesting subject you learn about class differences and gender differences etc in Education topic. You learn about couples, types of families, family policies, childhood, domestic violence in the Families and Household topic. Currently, I am doing the Crime and Deviance topic and we are learning about why men commit more crime, what types of crimes do different social classes commit and why, ethnic differences in crime. There is a lot of content but if you manage your time well and revise efficiently then you'll be fine.

My friends do Psychology AQA and those who don't do A Levels Maths are struggling quite a bit as there is some maths involved. But it's not necessary to do A Level Maths or be a maths person because your teachers will hopefully teach you the maths skills and how to answer it anyways. Anyways they tell me about how much they love their course, they learn about mental disorders, eating disorders, relationships etc from what I can remember them telling me

I hope this helped!
username5528068
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous12311)
I do Sociology AQA and I like it a lot (I'm in yr 13) I haven't done it for GCSE but I chose it for A level lol. Anyways it is a very interesting subject you learn about class differences and gender differences etc in Education topic. You learn about couples, types of families, family policies, childhood, domestic violence in the Families and Household topic. Currently, I am doing the Crime and Deviance topic and we are learning about why men commit more crime, what types of crimes do different social classes commit and why, ethnic differences in crime. There is a lot of content but if you manage your time well and revise efficiently then you'll be fine.

My friends do Psychology AQA and those who don't do A Levels Maths are struggling quite a bit as there is some maths involved. But it's not necessary to do A Level Maths or be a maths person because your teachers will hopefully teach you the maths skills and how to answer it anyways. Anyways they tell me about how much they love their course, they learn about mental disorders, eating disorders, relationships etc from what I can remember them telling me

I hope this helped!
Thx this did help a lot 👍

I’m thinking about doing A-level Geography or English Literature (not sure which one just yet) with them

I also don’t do sociology or psychology at GCSE however I don’t know many people who did, it wasn’t even offered at my school for GCSE

I’m not that good at maths, it’s by far my worse subject Lmao, I’m predicted to get a grade 5/6 (I’m very borderline) however at my school you only need a 5 in maths to do it.

Do you think I will be okay doing psychology with only a grade 5 or 6?
Anonymous12311
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Will2807)
Thx this did help a lot 👍

I’m thinking about doing A-level Geography or English Literature (not sure which one just yet) with them

I also don’t do sociology or psychology at GCSE however I don’t know many people who did, it wasn’t even offered at my school for GCSE

I’m not that good at maths, it’s by far my worse subject Lmao, I’m predicted to get a grade 5/6 (I’m very borderline) however at my school you only need a 5 in maths to do it.

Do you think I will be okay doing psychology with only a grade 5 or 6?
I do A Level English Literature too and ngl sometimes it’s a pain in the ass with all the annotating you have to do in the poetry section but sometimes it’s alright you get to read some really great books

My friend got a grade 4 or 5 for maths and she kinda struggles with the maths but she’s a brainiac so she does well in the rest of the test. She achieves the highest in her class. Tbh your teacher should teach you the maths skills anyways and you can always practice you have two years!!
username5528068
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous12311)
I do A Level English Literature too and ngl sometimes it’s a pain in the ass with all the annotating you have to do in the poetry section but sometimes it’s alright you get to read some really great books

My friend got a grade 4 or 5 for maths and she kinda struggles with the maths but she’s a brainiac so she does well in the rest of the test. She achieves the highest in her class. Tbh your teacher should teach you the maths skills anyways and you can always practice you have two years!!
Thx 👍👍
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.47%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (32)
15.92%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (33)
16.42%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (30)
14.93%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (55)
27.36%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (38)
18.91%

Watched Threads