How to do Geography NEA A level fieldwork in lockdown?

Watch
galaxyemma
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Our school has told us that we need to collect data for our NEA by ourself over this half term. I'm doing a human geography fieldwork about the regeneration of our local area. Surely the data will not be useful as there are no people around for pedestrian counts, reg code surveys, traffic flows, soundscaping, shops will be shut etc.

Is there a way to do the coursework that is not affected by the lockdown, or is there a hypothesis I could use where the lockdown is incorporated into the question?

Thank you, and is anyone else in this position? I can't believe we still need primary data considering the current climate!
Goldenkey000
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
IM IN THE EXACT SAME SITUATION

honestly no idea why we must to our NEA it’s sooo ridiculous they say they have cut out things of all subjects to make it easier except all they did for geography was say we didn’t have to do 4 days of filed work. Pretty stupid since we’ve lost months in the class room and are expected still to go out and collect our primary data.

I’m doing “An investigation into the different perceptions of place from a regenerated in comparison with a non regenerated place”

One of my hypotheses is that COVID 19 has had no affect of regeneration, which obviously it has, just gives be more to write about when the hypothesis is untrue.
Goldenkey000
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Tbh I will ngl be collecting any data will just make it up haa will probably just take photos of the area
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
We had to do our data collection over the October half term where there were a few people about but your situation is a lot worse.
Depends which exam board, but I know AQA have released some additional data collection techniques that can be used, that was useful for people in my class doing human investigations

If you are doing AQA, there is a 60/60 regeneration NEA on the AQA website, just google ‘AQA geography alevel NEA example’ and it’s the first or second to come up). They use techniques like house price as secondary data which could be useful? And for an environmental survey, you’ll just have to justify/evaluate why it’s still a good technique to use even if it isn’t fully representative of the area normally.
Raja12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I just did my NEA and what I did was that in my evaluation, I wrote about how the data wasn't accurate and reliable due to lockdown and stuff
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Ask your teacher
danig100
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If surveying is part of your nea you could ask people to fill it in on facebook groups for the area or put the link through letter boxes. As long as you collect some data your fine because if it doesnt fit the expected trends you can talk about the effects of lockdown on it in the conclusions and evaluation.
lmbosm
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I have been considerate when choosing my NEA topic. I am not choosing a place that necessarily requires me to travel as I do not want to risk another lockdown - I have chosen collection methods that I can find online through websites like google earth
Bree_Dav
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hey there!
i'm in year 12 and i'm doing my NEA.
it's not letting me attach my booklet, but here's a screenshot of my contents page.

use the FSC website and this link - https://www.rgs.org/CMSPages/GetFile...c19&lang=en-GB - to help as well.

i'm watching the discussion, but if you have questions message me privately or quote me in this chain

hope it helps
xx
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.8%
Excited but a bit nervous (122)
45.86%
Not bothered either way (34)
12.78%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.55%

Watched Threads