The Student Room Group

College ID For Drivers License

I am 18 years old and I am a part time student at college. With the college that I go to, we have to wear a lanyard provided by the college with our DOB, photo, name, the years it is valid from and private college information that I don’t wish to disclose online. I currently don’t have a drivers license at this moment in time. In order to apply for a license in the UK (or in England at least) we need to provide our Birth Certificate and one piece of photographic ID. I don’t have any valid photographic ID like a passport or anything like that and with the current circumstances going on with the world right now, I don’t see the point in paying out for a passport when there’s no where to go, and even if the virus was gone tomorrow, for example, I wouldn’t be travelling for a long time. The only valid ID I’ve got is my college ID on my lanyard and I wanted to know if it would be legally okay for me to send off my college ID and my birth certificate off to the DVLA to get my license or not. If any of you know if this would be legally okay or not please let me know. Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by LouiseEmson
I am 18 years old and I am a part time student at college. With the college that I go to, we have to wear a lanyard provided by the college with our DOB, photo, name, the years it is valid from and private college information that I don’t wish to disclose online. I currently don’t have a drivers license at this moment in time. In order to apply for a license in the UK (or in England at least) we need to provide our Birth Certificate and one piece of photographic ID. I don’t have any valid photographic ID like a passport or anything like that and with the current circumstances going on with the world right now, I don’t see the point in paying out for a passport when there’s no where to go, and even if the virus was gone tomorrow, for example, I wouldn’t be travelling for a long time. The only valid ID I’ve got is my college ID on my lanyard and I wanted to know if it would be legally okay for me to send off my college ID and my birth certificate off to the DVLA to get my license or not. If any of you know if this would be legally okay or not please let me know. Thank you.

You've read the identification requirements incorrectly.

If you're providing your birth certificate, you need to provide your National Insurance letter with it (or similar).
Reply 2
Original post by IWMTom
You've read the identification requirements incorrectly.

If you're providing your birth certificate, you need to provide your National Insurance letter with it (or similar).

Okay, I thought we had to send ID with the birth certificate, not the NI number
Reply 3
Original post by LouiseEmson
Okay, I thought we had to send ID with the birth certificate, not the NI number

No. It's one or the other.
Reply 4
You may have to provide somebody that can be contacted as a reference if they find it hard to verify your identity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending