Sept24
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
im studying health care management degree. started in September.....Its a 3 year degree with foundation year. I have worked in care for many years, but I want to change the degree to nursing. But I don't have gcse maths or English just functional skills. Does anyone know if I complete the first year of this course. and then take a year out to do a access course and then apply for a degree in nursing the following year will my funding be affected. and how do I go about taking a year out???? and changing the degree??
username5378916
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Sept24)
im studying health care management degree. started in September.....Its a 3 year degree with foundation year. I have worked in care for many years, but I want to change the degree to nursing. But I don't have gcse maths or English just functional skills. Does anyone know if I complete the first year of this course. and then take a year out to do a access course and then apply for a degree in nursing the following year will my funding be affected. and how do I go about taking a year out???? and changing the degree??
Sorry if I misunderstood your question but if you complete a year and then do another course (starting from 1st year again) then you’ll have to pay for the year yourself, and won’t be able to get SFE.
Sept24
Rep:
?
ok I'm going to complete this course and take a year break and then start the nursing degree 2022. so I will only get 3years of funding???
MedicWil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anon12345678987)
Sorry if I misunderstood your question but if you complete a year and then do another course (starting from 1st year again) then you’ll have to pay for the year yourself, and won’t be able to get SFE.
Normally this would be correct but not in this case

Nursing is classed as an exception course meaning that it will be fully funded, even if you have done a course in the past.

Also in addition to SFE, you'll be able to apply for the NHS Learning Support Fund. The LSF is new and non-means tested, meaning that whatever your income you'll get £5,000 per year for doing nursing and an extra £1,000 on top if you do a course in learning disabilities or mental health nursing.
Additionally, some universities allow you to do a course in two branches of nursing and if it includes LD or MH nursing then you'll still be eligible for the extra £1,000
(I'm doing Adult and Mental Health Nursing and get the full £6,000 so I know that's totally correct)

I'll also tag SFE Isaac here as he'll be able to advise you best
Last edited by MedicWil; 8 months ago
Sept24
Rep:
?
MedicWil did you have to do gcse before applying for your nursing degree??? really want to dl nursing but I don't have my RGN
Sept24
Rep:
?
I dont have gcse I meant to say not rgn MedicWil
giella
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Listen to what’s already been said about funding and get on with your GCSE in maths. If you’re not planning on completing this degree, speak with your academic advisor/supervisor at your university and see what support they can provide in terms of exit routes and transition to another degree. Speak to your careers service as well, they’re fully equipped to advise you on this sort of move.
Much better than strangers on the internet.
MedicWil
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
MedicWil did you have to do gcse before applying for your nursing degree??? really want to dl nursing but I don't have my RGN
I already had my GCSE Maths but I had to redo my GCSE English but that was moreso for the Access course
Some universities accept functional skills in place of GCSE. Also because you're doing a foundation year, they may accept that instead.

The problem is that each university is different as to what their entry requirements are so the best thing for you to do would be to contact the universities you're interested in applying to and asking them direct. They'll be able to advise you the best and then you can plan what your next steps would be.
Also, as giella has said, speak to your current university, they may even allow you to transfer onto a nursing course if they offer one
Emily_B
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
As I've already said in your other thread, you have to have GCSEs English and Maths for a nursing degree. There is no way of being accepted otherwise. Some universities accept level 2 functional skills as an alternative so research into this.
Starlight15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You can think about applying for a January start as an option
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by MedicWil)
Normally this would be correct but not in this case

Nursing is classed as an exception course meaning that it will be fully funded, even if you have done a course in the past.

Also in addition to SFE, you'll be able to apply for the NHS Learning Support Fund. The LSF is new and non-means tested, meaning that whatever your income you'll get £5,000 per year for doing nursing and an extra £1,000 on top if you do a course in learning disabilities or mental health nursing.
Additionally, some universities allow you to do a course in two branches of nursing and if it includes LD or MH nursing then you'll still be eligible for the extra £1,000
(I'm doing Adult and Mental Health Nursing and get the full £6,000 so I know that's totally correct)

I'll also tag SFE Isaac here as he'll be able to advise you best
Good morning, as long as you are not already registered as a Nurse then you should be fully funded for your Nursing course regardless of your previous study as MedicWil advised.

You mentioned an Access to HE course which is further education. You can also be funded for this if you have never had funding for an Access to HE course before. You will need to find an eligible provider https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/find-a-course and you can find out more about the loan here http://ow.ly/7LGy30oSeKg
If you do study the Access to HE course then the loan will be written off if you go on to successfully achieve a higher education degree in the future.

So you can study the healthcare management and then an Access to HE course and then your higher education Nursing course if you choose to and you would be funded for all 3 courses. I would advise speaking to your university for advise on what path to take.
Thanks, Isaac
Jowo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Emily_B)
As I've already said in your other thread, you have to have GCSEs English and Maths for a nursing degree. There is no way of being accepted otherwise. Some universities accept level 2 functional skills as an alternative so research into this.
I second this. The Unis that I am applying to for Nursing accept Level 2 Functional Mathematics which I am currently studying. It is likely to vary from place to place. Many Universities and employers accept Level 2 Functional Maths and English as GCSE equivalents.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (4)
8.16%
I need help researching courses (4)
8.16%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
6.12%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
48.98%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (10)
20.41%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.04%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
6.12%

Watched Threads