Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can I get tickets to the freshers ball and other DSU events when I get to the uni or will I have to preorder?
    Also if anyones going to cuths hows the fancy dress planning going? Does anyone know how full on these will be i.e does the back to school party just want actual school uniform or strangeness like guys in skirts:shifty:

ReputationRep:
    Skirts? I never thought of that one......

ReputationRep:
    Guys in skirts?!

ReputationRep:
    How do you preorder?? Just wondering

Thanks. Sorry for all the questions...

ReputationRep:
    Guys in skirts? Did u go to some super-posh scottish private school where kilts where part of the uniform? :P

Er...ive never been to 'back to school' parties before but I imagine its just the normal stuff...guys dress up in shirts, ties, trousers and shoes (ala schoolboy style) while girls dress up in skirts, ties, skirts and watever type of shoes they want i guess...high heels, low heels, flats...the only types i know anyway :P

Ive always heard bad things about the DSU freshers ball but its up to u...go for it if thats wat u really want just dont say we didnt warn u if u feel that u have wasted £50 (i think thats the price anyway).

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to cuth's and i'm thinking white shirt, tie, denim skirt then heels or possibly just flats for the back to school theme...think the toga party's gonna be interesting though!!

(Oh, hadn't considered the OP was male :p: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnivorous_fridge)
    I'm going to cuth's and i'm thinking white shirt, tie, denim skirt then heels or possibly just flats for the back to school theme...think the toga party's gonna be interesting though!!

First and foremost as a fellow cuthian(i just made that up arent i clever? )I'd like to congratulate u on coming to the best college in durham! (tho we still retain the name society). Highly possible ill be seeing u at some point or another tho im going into 2nd year...i really wish i was a fresher again

Anyways be prepared for an awesome freshers week and I really hope u enjoy ur stay in cuths: the people there are so amazing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reborn)
    a fellow cuthian
    Oooh, Cuthian :p: Good word, I like!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reblet)
    Guys in skirts?!
    Otherwise known as kilts, only joking. Aren't you an archaeologist though? You should know men wear skirts even if they were the Romans.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TRAVEL/DESTI....in.skirts.ap/

http://www.kiltmen.com/mannerrock.jpg if this guy wore a top to match it would look better. I assume the design has been copied from men's aikido outfit.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh kilts. A man's best friend...

And no I'm not an archaeologist... I'm an Englisher - the holy subject!

ReputationRep:
    Ball tickets are £50??? Hm, if I'm totally honest I haven't heard anything good about the past balls...

ReputationRep:
    Well it's £50 for the Ball, the Bop and I think £1 off every other DSU night for the rest of the year or something like that heh. It seems quite expensive, but I went for it mainly because Pendulum are playing heh - wanted to see Pendulum for ages haha.

I have heard that previous Balls haven't been that good, but as someone else said, the way I'm looking at it is that if Pendulum are playing it can't be that bad...and they're apparently going to have giant inflatable robot battle costume things which should be a laugh xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnivorous_fridge)

yeppp i'm going with the same - along with some grey knee high socks and my sexual orange school tie. then beach gear - beach shorts/flip flops/bikini...crazy hawaiian flowers. and of course the toga. i'm sure i'm not alone when i say i have NO idea what's gonna happen there. haha.

ReputationRep:
    £50 is far, far too much.

ReputationRep:
    Toga party! That's so awesome It'll be like in Animal House! This is the first, and hopefully last time that I'm envious of another college, Collingwood rules! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reborn)
    First and foremost as a fellow cuthian(i just made that up arent i clever? )
    No, no, no, it's Cuthsman! (applicable to either gender as we're not sexist).
    We are a society in more than just name. Get involved in the JCR which actually has a good amount of clout in getting things changed. Come along to the bar, which has been open this week even though it isn't term time.

Back to topic, Fancy Dress:
    Do what you can. Making costumes can be pretty cool, but if you decide to go last minute you can throw something together and there will be the full spectrum of effort gone into costumes that you won't feel wrongly dressed (just safety pin that toga lots if you want to keep warm).

If you see somewhere with really cheap white sheets this week, buy one and bring it up. Cuth's fresher's toga party is amazing. As other colleges also have toga partys, white sheets soon sell out in every Durham store. I was a royal/important roman wearing a blue toga.
    Oh and if you didn't bring a toga you could learn what 'tropheying'* is. In the nights before some guys in Parsons Field Court took about 14 of the handmade banners from other colleges. They were deemed legends when they turned up to toga party wearing the trophied banners!

University wide ents I didn't hear any amazing about. It is worth getting a Cuth's ents(entertainments) bracelet. I went out every night with my corridoor (even tea-total tim came) and had to pay individually.

*Importantly note that tropheying is a fun thing but can get you in trouble if you take it too far. Don't take the expensive printed banners or try unscrewing a signed antique painting with a penny, both college principles will get involved. The idea is to take something identifiable/iconic to that college without them noticing and get photographs holding your trophy on your college ground. Bonus points if you return it before they notice or before your in trouble.

ReputationRep:
    OMG sorry to post this. But from the past 3 years I can only say this from experience the Freshers Ball has been a massive disappointment and a waste of money. You are better sticking with college celebrations/events.

And as for meeting new people, I wouldn't bother, go out to the different college bars etc and do it the cheaper way. People have always commented on how expensive it is there and what a massive disappointment it has been, it never seems to be that well organises and hasn't attracted any big names like other unis before...

Sorry [I am talking about the Ball that is held away from the university buildings and not any of the college/dunelm house ones as they are normally much much better!]

EDIT: Oh and for those that commenting Pendulum are going to be there, make sure it's gonna be the whole line-up and not just half the band as I think there was something similar that happened at Future perfect. The "DJ's from Pendulum and Bloc Party" rather than the bands themselves

ReputationRep:
    Where can I get neon/rave body paint on the high street chaps?

ReputationRep:
    I second this request.

ReputationRep:
    i got mine from a fancy dress shop.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.