The Student Room Group

help me choose between biology and psychology for a levels

so im interested in computer science, economics, sumn neuroscience related, or even dentistry but i dont like chemistry and it would make it even harder for me

my other two subjects are maths and computer science but i dont know what i should take for my third

biology opens more courses but psychology is more interesting (apart from the essays lol)

so anyone who knows anything about these subjects at degree level give me some advice please

thank u. im in a crisis so any help at all is appreciated. (:
do psychology. so cool
If you dont like essays (or reading) I'd suggest that you do Biology rather than Psychology!

Also, Maths, Comp Sci and Biology leaves you open for a very wide variety of degree courses and careers - including degree study in Psychology, Neuroscience, Biology, Zoology, Animal Science, Comp Sci, Forensics, Cyber Security, AI, Economics, Health Economics, Management - or any combinations of those subjects.
Do you like biology? Then go for it!
@Mesopotamian. might be able to correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression all dental schools in the UK currently require A-level Chemistry. If so you can rule out dentistry. You should also bear in mind there are a lot more requirements and hoops to jump through for applying to dentistry compared to other degrees (work experience, admissions assessments, interviews) so you need to have a reasonable commitment to it.

For economics and CS A-level Further Maths would be the most useful option. For neuroscience many degrees require A-level Chemistry or A-level Biology, and quite a few require both as I recall. If you aren't interested in writing essays then I'm not sure you will get much out of either A-level Psychology or A-level Biology (which while it doesn't have essays in quite the same way, does have a long of extended prose writing compared to other STEM subjects).

I would recommend that you start by identifying the subjects you do enjoy and are good at in school now, then figure out what degree subject requires or makes use of those subjects, so as to pursue a degree subject based on your interests and strengths. That would be a better approach than trying to pick a degree subject and then constrain yourself into a box of which subjects are necessary, even if you don't like those subjects and/or are not good at them - since that would probably indicate you will not enjoy or do well in that degree subject which requires that prerequisite knowledge.
(edited 3 years ago)
All dental schools require chemistry and biology except:
- QMUL: needs chemistry or biology with one other science (chem, biology, physics or maths)
- KCL: same as QM
- Bristol: must have chemistry and one other science as above
- Plymouth: must have biology and one other science as above

If you decide not to take chemistry, you'd only have 3 schools you could apply to for standard entry. That would not be a wise idea at all.

@artful_lounger :ta:
Have a look instead at Dental Hygiene & Therapy : https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/med/dental-hygiene-therapy.aspx Its not just 'teeth polishing', its a serious clinical role doing formal dental work.

Quick Reply

Latest