Turn on thread page Beta

Time lord poll watch

ReputationRep:

My favourites are William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker. The early Doctors have an ostensible charm about them...

If I were to pick one as a personal favourite,
    now who would that be ...

Is David Tennant (Really) The Best Doctor Who? (read the last para).

Favourite Doctor would have to be the third Doctor, Jon Pertwee (aka The Dandy) not only for his English charm & charisma, but his adaptability ~alternating between camp, crafty, and even sometimes completely insane-in-the-membrane ~but always well-spoken as the sturdily heroic doctor.

Being the precursor to the fourth Doctor, I believe his character and personality was a great inspiration for Tom Baker; equally eccentric and insane-in-the-membrane.

Also, I like his eccentric manner & style of dress (cravats and opera cloaks). His numerous quirks and abilities including various trademark gadgets & gizmos such as the Whomobile, :driver:and ofcourse, his martial prowess ... his trademark kick-ass fighting style; Venusian Aikido.

Finally, who can ignore the ubiquitous Assistant? from robo-dog ~K9 to 'Belanie Mush' played by Bonnie Langford :shoot: The Girlyfry Chronicles.

imo, Catherine Tate is too cocky, loud mouthed and irritating.

Favourite Assistant: Sarah Jane Smith (Elisabeth Sladen).

ReputationRep:

:huff:

Surely, there must be at least one good reason as to why 'everybody' seems to consider Tennant as 'The Best Doctor.'

As yet, nobody's given a good enough reason... apart from the fact that he's the current Doctor (not many will have seen the previous Doctor's in action) and the Beebs spent £££'s on the new series making it look a lot more slick and glossy compared to the previous stuff.

I could be wrong though (actually, so far, it seems I'm not!)

:ninjagirl:

ReputationRep:
    The current one is always going to be the most popular.
    Davo for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    The current one is always going to be the most popular.
    Davo for me
    But you voted for Pete and Chris...?

ReputationRep:
    i think its a shame mr eccleston didn't stay for another series. at the time he was fab but he was completely eclipsed by tennant. the fact chris didn't want to be typecast sucks because now nobody even remembers him!

not that i dont like mr tennant, his chemistry with billie was undeniable. he seems strangely attainable, if rose could know him then so could you :erm: im probably not explaining this well.

but then i cant really compare to any of the old doctors because they were before my time

ReputationRep:
    I voted for Tennant, because I have rarely seen anybody before Ecclestone.

Ecclestone would have been immense if he stayed on.

ReputationRep:
    Well i only know the most recent 2. I liked Christopher Eccleston with Billie Piper. I hate Catherine Tate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by urbandervish)
    But you voted for Pete and Chris...?
    Which part was that a response to?

ReputationRep:
    Which part was that a response to?
    Oh I see, you meant that the current Doctor is always going to be the most popular; hence, David Tennant as being your 'favourite' bet.

I only wondered why he was your favourite when you'd only voted for Peter Davison and Christopher Eccleston... I see what you mean now.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Tennant is more like number 8 for me tbh.
    (Davo, Eccles, Pertwee, Tom, Colin, Sylv, Hartnell, Tennant, Troughton, McGann in order of my current mood)

ReputationRep:
    Pertwee by far.
    First Doctor Who I saw, and still my favourite.
    Troughton would be my second favourite, but with so many episodes lost there's not a lot to watch.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Tennant is more like number 8 for me tbh.
    (Davo, Eccles, Pertwee, Tom, Colin, Sylv, Hartnell, Tennant, Troughton, McGann in order of my current mood)
    A rather unique way to categorising your favourite Doctor's ... interesting! Glad to see you've thought about it instead of jumping onto the bandwagon with all the Tennant-is-the-best,-leave-out-the-rest- mafia. :p:

However, it would be good to see why so many people actually choose Tennant, especially when it seems they haven't seen any previous Doctor (either in or outside living memory). But, as you pointed out ...the current Doctor is always going to be popular and, therefore, the best.

(Original post by Ramble)
    Pertwee by far.
    First Doctor Who I saw, and still my favourite.
    Troughton would be my second favourite, but with so many episodes lost there's not a lot to watch.
    Wooooo! a Whovian! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Tennant, enough said :p:

He's just makes a great doctor, he's funny, he's hot to go with it, and he's just a great actor! He's entertaining to watch.

ReputationRep:
    A rather unique way to categorising your favourite Doctor's ... interesting! Glad to see you've thought about it instead of jumping onto the bandwagon with all the Tennant-is-the-best,-leave-out-the-rest- mafia. :p:

However, it would be good to see why so many people actually choose Tennant, especially when it seems they haven't seen any previous Doctor (either in or outside living memory). But, as you pointed out ...the current Doctor is always going to be popular and, therefore, the best.

To me, Tennant just seems like a mishmash of other Doctors, which is understandable as he's a big fan. But I like my Doctors to be something original - I remember thinking I would hate Eccleston but loved his spin on the character because it was so different to the quirkiness I thought the show would go for.
    And yes, most people will no doubt vote having not seen the vast vast majority of the choices and probably because they think Tennant is hot :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i though this was going to be about the nes game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imtired)
    i though this was going to be about the nes game.
    What on earth is the nes game? Is this something to do with Nintendo? :o:

ReputationRep:
    What on earth is the nes game? Is this something to do with Nintendo? :o:
    remember this?

lol yeah the nintendo game, which i never got further than level 3 on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imtired)
    remember this?

lol yeah the nintendo game, which i never got further than level 3 on.
    Nope, I've never seen it. Looks like good old Dungeons & Dragons set in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Pertwee. The consistency of his episodes and his condescending attitude towards most humans puts him above the rest. Inferno might just be the best DW serial ever.

I think they've all got their merits, but he'll always be my favourite. I can also say that Colin Baker is my least favourite. I like him as an actor, but I don't like him as the Doctor. He could have been good if he'd been performing under a better set of writers, but like a fair amount of McCoy's stories, he suffered from poor writing in comparison to his predecessors, so I don't think it is fair to criticise him specifically for the portrayal (I do like the lunacy of his Doctor, but the way he treated Peri was awful! And of course, Mel was the worst companion ever, making it difficult for him to keep it interesting). I think it's a real shame the show got cancelled when it did, because it was really picking up from a stale period (the Happiness Patrol shall never be looked upon favourably, I fear) with fantastic serials like the Remembrance of the Daleks and Survival.

One thing that annoys me is the fandom's (obviously not every fan does this, but some of the nuttier members of Outpost Gallifrey) insistence on blaming the likes of JNT and RTD for anything they don't like about the show. It will be funny to watch Steven Moffat become their new scapegoat when he writes comedy episodes that they so love to whinge about; he is, afterall, best known as a comedian, not a straight-forward dramatist. He certainly deserves the hype he gets, so it will be a shame to see all of that change amongst the internet communities when the show's inevitable inconsistency continues throughout his run as head writer.

ReputationRep:
    ^^Inferno is amazing. Will never be as good as Terror of the Autons for me. The Master (original, obviously) is easily the best character in all of Doctor Who.
    Daemons is great as well.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.