The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

it's not black and white, of course not, it's grey, purely because it's a mix of 'talent' and skill, that's all
Reply 21
I believe that there is no such thing as natural talent; you can become good at anything if you have interest and dedication.
Reply 22
Matisse
It's difficult to describe what makes a naturally talented artist, - certainly not the distinction between having a 'good idea', - it's more than that. My point was that I've encountered many 'technically able' craftsman during my time, either during my education or professionally, but there's something evidently different between natural talent and simply regarding art as nothing more than a craft that can be acquired through practice. It's not that black and white.

Hmm, I'm finding it difficult to explain this freely in English. :frown:

I agree. to be a good artist you obviously need talent and imagination, which cannot be acquired (but can, i suppose, be discovered later in life). but you also need to be completely obsessive. with hard work one can learn to draw accurately, but i dont think that has anything to do with art. however, even with the right mind and talent for visualisation, you need hard work, just as with any other carreer. its rare to find a successful artist who hasnt at least a masters degree, though with art the study is more a philosophical introspection and visualisation.
I think it's a natural talent, my sister is an azazing artist. She can just look at something and transfer it to paper and it will look exactly the same as it does in real life.

Whereas, with me it doesn't matter what I'm trying to do, it will come out rubbish lol.

I think you either have it or don't.
Reply 24
_Hayko
Hmm depends, some people are natually really good at being able to draw what they see, however it is also a skill that can be learned.
See http://www.drawright.com/

to a certain extent. all of those drawings in the gallery section are ****. trite and affected and obviously conceived without any real interest. theyve obviously remembered to 'do some shading', but its clear that theyve no talent. anybody who can draw, for real, will be able to hold the object of study in their mind, turn it over and place it on the paper without thinking.
Mostly natural talent in terms of ideas; however you need to work on the skills, because even though you may have a beautiful work of art in your mind, it's useless unless you can actually make it a reality. Without technique, you really won't make a good artist at all, even though you may be very creative.
I think it's a combination of the two. I would like to say that you can become good at anything if you put your mind to it, but unfortunately my grandma has been taking art lessons pretty much all her life and her paintings still look a bit ridiculous in their childishness... whereas my aunt on the other side of the family is a naturally talented artist who has never taken lessons, but will just occasionally start doodling and produce something amazing!
Reply 27
i think its talent, but practice is key. those who arent naturally talented if they practice can improve. also those with natural ability if practice can get even better
Reply 28
Rubaiyat
to a certain extent. all of those drawings in the gallery section are ****. trite and affected and obviously conceived without any real interest. theyve obviously remembered to 'do some shading', but its clear that theyve no talent. anybody who can draw, for real, will be able to hold the object of study in their mind, turn it over and place it on the paper without thinking.

The drawings aren't masterpieces by a longshot but these were people who couldn't draw to save their life.
I've always been good at art since a young age, some people are good at it, some people aren't. It's definately a talent.
Reply 30
alexmahone
I believe that there is no such thing as natural talent; you can become good at anything if you have interest and dedication.

If you have a serious look around you, it shouldn't take long to realise that there is such a thing as natural talent.

Some people don't have the creative mindset required to be artistic in ways that others can be. People's brains work in different ways and the ways in which it works determines what you will be good at and what you will be not so good at.

Practice makes perfect is certainly a very credible outlook though. The more you do something, the better you will become at it - you can adapt your brain to certain tasks. But to some people, this comes naturally for certain things.
Reply 31
I don't believe in the words 'natural talent' and the vague descriptions they bear, never have. However, I also completely disagree with the idea that anyone can be good at art if they put their mind to it (though this is strictly on the topic of art, playing an instrument for example obviously entails a different explanation which is usually more affected by practice).

I don't think the ability to produce extraordinary works of art should be shadowed under the empowered title of natural talent. Some are just good at it, some are very good at it, some are horrible at it, some practice a lot but still can't seem to get the grasp of it, some are very good and with practice become even better. I think it's only to do with the mind, the speed of its progression, the direction it progresses at, how it progresses, the way it perceives objects in reality and surrounding space and then fine tuned by practice if driven in a certain focused direction, without the involvement of some inbred, inherent supernatural abstraction or attribute.
Reply 32
There was a TV program a while back with Vanessa Mae the violinist, she basically wanted to find out whether her extreme talent was from nature, or from nurture.

At the start of the programme she was convinced that all her talent was natural, because she seemed to just pick things up immediately. She visited loads of people and took part in experiments and at the end she still wanted to believe it was nature, but the results mostly suggested that it was more nurture than nature. However, they do both still play a part.

So what I'd take from that is that it's a bit of both, but someone with natural talent will not shine as well as they might unless they do have some nurturing.

MJ

Latest