The Student Room Group

How to prevent parents from buying me a certain present?

The title. Perhaps the craziest post ever but bare with me. I’m blessed and very grateful to have amazing parents and for my birthday, my mum always asks me what I want (to that, I reply nothing because I feel bad when my parents purchase me extra things when they’ve given me so much already).

But now I’ve realised that the last few months, I’ve been waffling about a stand mixer. Now, I bake a lot and it’s one of the things I love. And I think from this, I’ve given my mum the impression that I want a stand mixer for my birthday. Now they’re super expensive and I don’t want my parents spending so much on a machine for me and if they do, I’ll honestly feel so so bad. And I’m actually saving up myself to buy one in the future.

How do I tell my parents (specifically my mum) that I don’t want a stand mixer without looking like a fool because at the end of the day, I’m not even sure whether my mum is considering on actually buying one as this is based off assumptions. Any advice?
Just be honest w her and if she does buy you one just be grateful, it's her choice what she spends her money on
Just be honest and say something like "Look i know I've been talking about a stand nixer, but please dont buy me one as they are far to expensive, im not been ungrateful i just dont want you spending that much on me"
You might want to suggest that whilst you dont want them to buy one you would welcome a donation towards it when you have saved up enough.
They might not get you an expensive one - there are cheap ones out there that are way under £100.
Steal their credit card. That way, they won't be able to buy it for you.

(lol)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending