Lildogbier
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi, me again...
So at the moment my current choices are A level Law, A level Politics and A level Sociology.
Right now, I'm debating between A level Sociology and A level Business Studies.
I have taken none at GCSE.
Any advice on which subject combines better, is looked upon better or the amount of studying or difficulty for Business Studies vs Sociology would be appreciated
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I don't think there is any real difference as far as perception of the courses externally (e.g. by admissions staff at universities, who probably won't care about the individual subjects you studied unless it's a specific prerequisite for the degree course(s) you are applying to, which neither sociology nor business studies are for any degree that I know of), nor in "difficulty" outside of highly specific aspects of how you learn best and which you are interested in enough to motivate yourself for the necessary independent learning to do well in the courses.

Arguably sociology has slightly more bearing on politics and law (at least as far as law is studied at A-level, which is mostly socio-legal studies) than business studies, in terms of theoretical frameworks and approaches. However I don't think the content of the A-levels is such that you would be overly disadvantaged (or advantaged) by taking one over the other.

Just pick whichever you think is more interesting, that you will enjoy more, and do best in - usually the three things coincide!
maisiex10x
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I don't think Unis will mind, either would be fine! I guess sociology would tie in more with the other subjects, I've heard they are both content heavy! Maybe Business if you want a more mathsy subject (both have essays tho) I'd go with Sociology just as it ties in better maybe? x
something_orphic
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I think personally i would choose sociology for the reasons already stated above. It would also help w a level law and politics as you could intertwine a bit some theory work which could result in a better grade. It is also more interesting haha.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (22)
27.5%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (8)
10%
No I am happy with my choice (45)
56.25%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (5)
6.25%

Watched Threads