Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    heyy
    im 16....17 just in time to run the reading half.
    ive always wanted to do a marathon, and i want to raise money for a sepcific charity
    however...im not at all fit.....realy not the sporty type and never have been......im about 10 stone....5"8".........and just REALLY not the type who would run a marathon
    BUT i want to prove everyone who thinks im just joking or that i cant do it...that i CAN

however.....is it realistic for me to be able to run 13 miles? when atm the most i can do without stoppping is 1.5 - 1 mile??

im thinking it will be possible....however the thought of beign able to run that far i jsut cant see myself physically being able to?!!

x

ReputationRep:
    You think you can, but you think you can't at the same time? That's a start.

In either case, you'd definitely want to train for a marathon. If you haven't run before, or engaged in long periods of exercise, I wouldn't recommend it unless you just want to see how far you get and then quit.

ReputationRep:
    most importantly, when is this half marathon?

It's not at all a bad idea to consider going in for 5km, 10kms runs.

Build up a good physical endurance, then this'll give you confidence and will tell you what further distances you may or may not be able to manage.

There's a huge difference between 1.5 miles and 13.1 miles but i'm sure you already know this.

ReputationRep:
    its on the 29th march.....so plenty of months to train
    but im just not sure
    x

ReputationRep:
    Go for it, it's a challenge and when you've completed it, it will be so worth it for the reasons you included. Most of the people who run the half aren't the 'sporty type', but simply challenging their character, raising money for charity. I will be running this too for the first time also

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estherbh)
    but im just not sure
    x
    by the sounds of things, it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

It's more important you're proving something to yourself, first of all, before proving something to others - which i agree, can feel satisfying in itself!

Enter some 5km or 10kms runs. This is my suggestion. The website RunnersWorld lists local events, in different regions of the UK. Maybe sign up to this website and look into entering some short distance events?

29th March is a long time away, alot can be improved in this period of time. Definitely look into building up to the 10km distance first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estherbh)
    but im just not sure
    x
    Just train, it's a good challenge. Running a lot would be a start, Squatting would be a start, a good diet would be a start.

ReputationRep:
    Well you won't come in first but it should be a giggle, I say go for it.

ReputationRep:
    You need to be able to run about 8 miles without stopping 2 weeks before the half marathon if you're going to make it round (it'll hurt a lot though!), I'd suggest upping your long runs by a mile at least every month. Do a long run a week, and between that do shorter runs at a higher speed or other forms of exercise.

You'll get round, but the harder you work now, the less it'll hurt on the day! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of entering next for next year. I can currently run about 3 miles in 20 minutes, but I run about once every blue moon and my shins are terrible over any sort of distance. If I can sort out my lower legs and actually get out on some long runs - my endurance cardio is currently all rowing, cycling and swimming - I'd like to aim to get a time under 1 hour 30. Bit of an ask, but it's no good being soft

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    by the sounds of things, it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Wrong there.

You've got ages to train, just get into it. now.

Join up to Runners world, and you'll be able to get a decent training regime now.

I'm doing Cardiff half on October the 19th, so I'll tell ya what it's like

You'd have the tape the book to your head because you really do need your arms when running.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friggerpants)
    Wrong there.

You've got ages to train, just get into it. now.

Join up to Runners world, and you'll be able to get a decent training regime now.

I'm doing Cardiff half on October the 19th, so I'll tell ya what it's like
    you talkin to me, son? I'm not the OP. Besides, i have my own half marathon this coming Sunday... :eek:

so i'll tell ya what it's like :yep:

ReputationRep:
    you talkin to me, son? I'm not the OP. Besides, i have my own half marathon this coming Sunday... :eek:

so i'll tell ya what it's like :yep:

You in first line, then OP.

I did 15 miles today so I think I already know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friggerpants)
    You in first line, then OP.

I did 15 miles today so I think I already know.
    Well done, that's good going. I'll be doing 1.5 hours running today, up close to 13 miles. This'll probably be my last run before Sunday when i have my own half-marathon.

ReputationRep:
    Well done, that's good going. I'll be doing 1.5 hours running today, up close to 13 miles. This'll probably be my last run before Sunday when i have my own half-marathon.
    Are you doing the Macclesfield half marathon on Sunday?

You really shouldn't be doing a long run this close to race day. It'll make sunday much harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shmerm)
    Are you doing the Macclesfield half marathon on Sunday?

You really shouldn't be doing a long run this close to race day. It'll make sunday much harder.
    you're probably right. I'll stick to a light 30-40 minute run.

yes, i'm doing the Macc half-marathon.

It's just dawning on me that i'll be running 13-ish miles in two days time

:eek:

ReputationRep:
    Get Daniels' Running Formula. This is in reply to the OP, but I would seriously recommend this book to anyone.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Daniels-Runn...2506403&sr=8-1

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 27, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.